SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:00 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
1,668 Posts
99fiddy8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
I got a PM that I started to quickly reply to. Well, that reply started to get wordy. And the PM has a limit as to how many characters you can send per PM. Figured it was good for the general discussion anyways.
<snip>
The V911 has a hard time going against the wind. It's a night and day difference comparing the 9958 to the v911. It has nothing to do with appearance or optical illusion either. The 9958 is apt to fly upwind if you as a pilot can handle it. In the same breeze, the v911 feels like it's tugging a truck behind it. It's just very slow. And under certain breeze, can only nose in hover into the wind. It can't seem to fly forward into it.
<snip>
Thanks for the write-up Daryoon.
When funds allow...I've been contemplating adding the 9958 to my 4ch FP hanger after hearing various peeps about it's wind handling capabilities. Now since I've got a FS 9X on pre-order, I'll be able to bind the 9958 and forego the stock TX. (thnx to Mulder et all for the 9x infos)

I'll be flying my 4ch FP heli's outdoors when the warmth reaches Canada!
The SoloPro and V911 with Alu. swashes and bigger LiPo's seem to have momentum to go with the increased weight, so it'll be interesting to fly em outside!

I did notice (and was hoping) that my New Wh/Red V911 is like a well tuned Ferrari. The motor is Quiet and Powerful... on lift-off she shoots straight-up, almost kissing the ceiling with hardly any throttle! It flys with a delicate precision and grace of a Ballerina. My early Black V911 is for crazy aggresive flying and modding...it's badder, louder and a little unruly comparatively. While my new Wh/Red V911 is for reference, and more graceful Sunday flying.

I feel that the Factory workers really got the hang of building these Heli's now, compared to my Release V911's. I just hope if they have a workforce roll-over, the next team is up to speed quickly!

When I get my 9958... you'll be my goto guy for infos! hehe
vpsporb is offline Find More Posts by vpsporb
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:23 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2007
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinglucky View Post
The real secret to V911's super-maneuverability (as opposed to the Solo Pro): All the mass is at/near the center axis--- it's as simple as this! Walkera figured out that they made a bad heli with the Genius CP where they had a horizontal Rx board and mass distribution all over the place. Then, they corrected this engineering "flaw" by redesigning the Genius into the MiniCP. The resulting is a bad-ass flyer with much more agility and prowress. When you look at the Solo Pro, the battery placement and weight distribution deviates from the main shaft, giving you a heli that makes very wide turns with slow piro rates, etc. The more spread oot the mass distribution, the more inertia the heli has to counteract in making heading changes...
You're joking, right?

The GCP is a bad heli? Do you actually own one?

I own 2.

The only problem with the Genius is in 6X mode, and that problem is easily remedied by raising the RX slightly.

The heli is perfectly balanced, too, hence the reason no trim, weight, ETC.. needs to be added.

Besides, most of us fly in 3 axis mode and it flies flawlessly, apart from the slight drift which is again easily solved in the 2801/devo.

The Genius is leaps and bounds ahead of the v911. What's more, the GCP is a 3D hobby grade heli' (very agile) while the V911 is nothing much more than a disposable toy, and that's reflected by its price and poor workmanship.

I also own a v911 which was DOA, and have also flown one for a short duration (2 mins was more than enough), so I feel i'm qualified to offer good opinion on aesthetics and flight characteristics.
Username> is offline Find More Posts by Username>
Last edited by Username>; Jan 21, 2012 at 05:31 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:32 PM
Joined Mar 2007
273 Posts
damo, you obviously like the Genius, it does look to be a nice micro heli. My question to you as a newbie where single rotor helis is concerned is: for someone like me who is coming from coaxial helis, how easy is the Genius to hover and fly? Is the Walkera hype about the 3 axis gyro working as well as a 45 degree flybar the real deal or is it just hype? Walkera makes it sound as though even beginners like myself could hover and fly the Genius; so since you are a regular person like me and not a Walkera employee, what is the truth?
hope12839 is offline Find More Posts by hope12839
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:52 PM
crashs come easy patience dont
USA, MI, Shelby Township
Joined Jan 2009
2,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hope12839 View Post
damo, you obviously like the Genius, it does look to be a nice micro heli. My question to you as a newbie where single rotor helis is concerned is: for someone like me who is coming from coaxial helis, how easy is the Genius to hover and fly? Is the Walkera hype about the 3 axis gyro working as well as a 45 degree flybar the real deal or is it just hype? Walkera makes it sound as though even beginners like myself could hover and fly the Genius; so since you are a regular person like me and not a Walkera employee, what is the truth?

if you are coming from a 4channel co-axial, there are 2 small differences. but if you are coming from a 3channel co-axial, then your pretty much starting over.

if coming from a 4channel co-axial, the two differences would be.
a fixed pitch or collective pitch heli will not set in one spot during a hover with out constant stick corrections.
the second difference is the throttle will be more used on the fixed pitch heli for stability.

can you take your finger off the right stick on a fixed or collective pitch heli in a hover? of course, but its very pref. unlike a co-axial where it`ll hover a whole battery with only throttle input.
bad400 is offline Find More Posts by bad400
Last edited by bad400; Jan 21, 2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:56 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad400 View Post
if coming from a 4channel co-axial, the two differences would be. a fixed pitch or collective pitch heli will not set in one spot during a hover with out constant stick corrections.
I can hover hands off for 5~10 seconds with the V911. No need to mess with the sticks if the trims are set right.
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Old Jan 21, 2012, 06:01 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2007
1,103 Posts
Quote:
The Genius is pretty durable, but certainly not bulletproof.
My first CP was a Walkera v400d02 which I find a fair bit easier to fly than the GCP. The v400 also has a 3x FBL gyro.
I also own a Trex 250se and find that again, marginally easier to fly than the Genius.
The issue with the 400 size and 250 for a beginner is that they will cost you in a crash, whereas if I crash the GCP i'll perhaps have to replace a 2 ($3) tail rotor.
I've replaced 3 tail rotors but nothing else in the crashes i've had, but others have broken skids which are part of the frame.
Now.. My heli' course of action was like this in chronological order;
Walkera 5g6
Lama v4
Honeybee FP V2 (Great trainer that taught me loads and set me for CP imo.. A real deep end bird)
Walkera cb100
Walkera 4#6s
V400d02
Genius CP
Trex 250se

I have another few but they line up with the progression or are easier to fly.

Personally, I think I wasted a bit of money doing it the way I did it, but I don't regret it. I'm one of those that impulse buys just because I like the look of something.

Although I like the Genius, I would probably suggest you see some simulator action, or perhaps get a larger CP, follow rads flight school, and fit training gear before you progress.

I find the Genius mushy, and delayed in 6x mode, and much prefer 3x, and it took me a good amount of time to get used to it, even after the V400 and Trex 250.

With the Genius in 3x you constantly need to be on the cyclic as it is quite squirrely and wont self stabilise like a 45 deg bird like the cb100, msr, v911, et al...

You might get differing opinions, but this is what I found and what works for me.

Hth.
Last edited by Username>; Jan 21, 2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 06:03 PM
USA, MI, Shelby Township
Joined Jan 2009
2,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa Heli View Post
I can hover hands off for 5~10 seconds with the V911. No need to mess with the sticks if the trims are set right.
yep, i did it with my collective pitch 450`s all the time.
but a co-axial will hover a whole battery with only throttle input, you are not doing that with either a fixed or collective pitch heli.
key words you typed? 5 to 10 seconds. co-axial? the whole battery.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 06:25 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2007
1,103 Posts
Quote:
yep, i did it with my collective pitch 450`s all the time.
but a co-axial will hover a whole battery with only throttle input, you are not doing that with either a fixed or collective pitch heli.
key words you typed? 5 to 10 seconds. co-axial? the whole battery.
Yeah, that's about same with me.
HOH is possible with my 400 size for about 4 seconds.
250 size HOH about 2 seconds
GCP - 100 size - about 1 second.

I'm inclined to agree with what i've heard, in that the larger the bird the more stable it is. But then, the larger the bird the larger the $ losses when you crash.

I want a 600 next but just don't have the space.

Loving your pitch pumps you do on your 450 in the V400 thread btw.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 06:26 PM
Joined Mar 2007
273 Posts
Yeah, that 's about the same for me; I can hover my V911 hands off for about 5-10 seconds before I have to adjust the throttle as it usually slowly drifts or climbs to a point that I have to use the sticks.

damo, I come from a 4 channel coaxial, the Walkera Lama 2 to be exact.
So is the Genius in 6 axis mode more stable and easier for someone like me than 3 axis mode? Not necessarily planning on buying a Genius, I just want to learn as much as possible before I make any expensive purchases. So far I have $40 invested in my V911 alone, plus another $15 for the RCX metal head/swash that I ordered, plus another $71(shipping included) for a Turnigy 9X which should be here in a week or two. Not too bad. I've spent way, way, way more on my rc cars!
hope12839 is offline Find More Posts by hope12839
Old Jan 21, 2012, 06:36 PM
USA, MI, Shelby Township
Joined Jan 2009
2,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by damo666 View Post
I'm inclined to agree with what i've heard, in that the larger the bird the more stable it is. But then, the larger the bird the larger the $ losses when you crash.

I want a 600 next but just don't have the space.

Loving your pitch pumps you do on your 450 in the V400 thread btw.
i think the size of the bird makes a huge difference, simply because of the distance from blade tip to blade tip. more blade more air.
but a co-axial is pretty stable no matter what size it is.
a 600 is more stable than say a 450, BUT a 600 is HUGE and alot of people freak out on its size and blade swing.
if you get a collective pitch heli, i would honestly say start with a 500.
a 500 is still big, but it`ll fly pretty much where ever you can fly a 450.
a 600 needs almost a football field to be flown safely in, but once you can fly the 600 very well, it can be flown in tighter areas.

my 450 videos are not recommended for someone just starting out in collective pitch. i have 4 years now with them and i still shouldnt do those in-house videos, it gives people the wrong impression that 450`s are safe.
i had some actual out-door flying videos, but i kept getting comments of praise or judgements on my not always so good flying, so i took them down.
i didnt tape my flying to prove i can or to be judged, so deleted and erased LoL.
but thank you for the kind words.
Last edited by bad400; Jan 21, 2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 06:38 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2007
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, that 's about the same for me; I can hover my V911 hands off for about 5-10 seconds before I have to adjust the throttle as it usually slowly drifts or climbs to a point that I have to use the sticks.

damo, I come from a 4 channel coaxial, the Walkera Lama 2 to be exact.
So is the Genius in 6 axis mode more stable and easier for someone like me than 3 axis mode? Not necessarily planning on buying a Genius, I just want to learn as much as possible before I make any expensive purchases. So far I have $40 invested in my V911 alone, plus another $15 for the RCX metal head/swash that I ordered, plus another $71(shipping included) for a Turnigy 9X which should be here in a week or two. Not too bad. I've spent way, way, way more on my rc cars!
I found the Genius more difficult to fly in 6X mode compared to 3X. Iirc, though, it hovered pretty well in 6X mode.

A chap on here called Bair14 also came to the same conclusion and prefers 3X.

A good few prefer 6X though. I think Livonia Bob prefers and flies that mode.

Tbh, the Genius is pretty cheap at the moment, what with the advent of the Mini CP. So i'd say go for it. Just buy yourself some tail rotors and perhaps a canopy to start with. Hyperion lipos are also good to have as the stock lipos aren't upto much.

Post a message in the Gcp thread and see what others have to say.

You can do much worse than buying the Genius as your first CP.. I just found it a little more difficult to get to grips with than my larger ones.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 06:51 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2007
1,103 Posts
Quote:
i think the size of the bird makes a huge difference, simply because of the distance from blade tip to blade tip. more blade more air.

a 600 is more stable than say a 450, BUT a 600 is BIG and alot of people freak out on its size and blade swing.
if you get a collective pitch heli, i would honestly say start with a 500.
a 500 is still big, but it`ll fly pretty much where ever you can fly a 450.
a 600 needs almost a football field to be flown safely in, but once you can fly the 600 very well, it can be flown in tighter areas.

my 450 videos are not recommended for someone just starting out in collective pitch. i have almost 4 years now with them and i still shouldnt do those in-house videos, it gives people the wrong impression that 450`s are safe.
i had some actual out-door flying videos, but i kept getting comments of praise or judgements on my not always so good flying, so i took them down.
i didnt tape my flying to prove i can or to be judged, so deleted and erased LoL.
but thank you for the kind words.
I can imagine that a 600 is intimidating.

Here's a 700 size, and by looking at it, it looks longer than the pilot is tall. Lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&h...&v=DcKyc5KYcuM

The first time I spooled my v400 up in my living room, I was sweating buckets in fear and that thing only has a 2ft blade span. It woke my Fiancee and Daughters up anyway. Lol.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 07:00 PM
USA, MI, Shelby Township
Joined Jan 2009
2,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by damo666 View Post
I can imagine that a 600 is intimidating.

Here's a 700 size, and by looking at it, it looks longer than the pilot is tall. Lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&h...&v=DcKyc5KYcuM

The first time I spooled my v400 up in my living room, I was sweating buckets in fear and that thing only has a 2ft blade span. It woke my Fiancee and Daughters up anyway. Lol.
yeah, that cats a good stick banging pilot.
i saw a video over on helifreak once of a cat doing very very slow maneuvers, this cat i would say is a very good pilot.
its hard to explain exactly what this guy was doing, but say like if he went inverted? it was a very slow move. that style takes real control.
dont get me wrong, pop & lock stick banging isnt easy, but that other cats style i mentioned is way harder.

when i spooled up the 450`s in the house, it would get very loud indeed.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 07:08 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbenjamin View Post
Guys
thanks for the all the helpful info in here - I got my v911 a week ago, and out of the box had some TBE. Read through here, loosened up the screw on my bar and put a little teflon bike chain lube on all the pivots - no more TBE! Now my next question; my bird will move backward when I hover w/ no hands on the right stick. I trimmed it, and found that I was near the max trim so I removed the rod from the right hand servo and turned it in a couple of threads. Even with that I need to have the forward trim at ~50% to stay steady. Here's a shot of the servos -

Attachment 4570115

at this point should I be using weights to alter the forward bias, or keep adjusting the servo/swashplate? Also, you can see that I've got 2-3mm gap between the swash and the blades and the pin on the right is near the bottom of its slot . Should I try to move the swash up or is it fine as is?
DrBen, Welcome to RCG. I read your post and took a good look at the picture, which helped explain a lot of things. First of all, the 2-3mm gap between the swash plate and the bottom of the head rotor is NORMAL. The really critical distance is the distance between to balls, connected by the links. Actually, your swash is not attached to the shaft. It is suspended by those links!

I agree with Daryoon. Looking at the picture, I think your swash plate has begun to separate. From the picture, the right side has a large gap than the left. So, you'd want to adjust that first.

And you're right, the guide pin of the swash is almost at the lowest point of the guide slot. Why? It's an indication that your swash plate is tilting backwards. And that, my friend, is the reason that your helicopter is sliding back.

You asked if you should add weight or adjust trim. I would always advice adjust trim, because adding weight takes a toll on the helicopter. You should adjust the trim, so that the swash is more level, and your helicopter doesn't slide backwards. You would want to shorten the right servo arm (in the picture). Although you have not complained about rolling right, from the looks of it, I would guess that shortening that left arm also. But your helicopter will tell you what it really needs. And when you get your helicopter trimmed, your guide pin would be right about center.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jan 21, 2012, 07:13 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
1,668 Posts
Silly me... about a week b4 Christmas, I tried to learn 4ch after flying a 3ch Coax for a couple of weeks. I got the SoloPro 1st, (I fly in a small room) broke it quickly... got the V911 a day or 2 after... and proceeded to crash and learn how to fly 4ch. with it.

I then got my "summer" V120D01, and a week after Christmas I stupidly tried to "trim" this wee beast into a Hover in my small room. (I mistakenly thot they do this b4 shipping)
Well, after a few unsuccesful sessions...and bent/broken parts, I put 2 LiPo's thru her with much trimming... and BAM she went up into a Gorgeous Hover! with my limited room... I could only do a few small rotations before she would drift-off and I wouldn't have the room to correct.
It's quite harder to "fly" than a FP 45deg. flybar Heli, despite Walkera's Literature making it seem like it's as easy as our wee FP flybar helis. BUT... it is sooooo much more satisfying.. I was grinning like a demented rubby when I finally trimmed my V120D01 into a Hover and did a few small rotations!!

While my V120D01 is down for repairs I'm trying to commission some hardened main shafts for it. In the meantime... it's a blast tinkering with these wee FP flybar heli's!
sorry for the offtopic.
vpsporb is offline Find More Posts by vpsporb