Micro Heli mods
Finland, Tuusula
Joined Mar 2012
181 Posts
I added a small led on the front ...
...much easier to locate in the dark

Tumppi T is offline Find More Posts by Tumppi T
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Tumppi T; Feb 18, 2013 at 04:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:33 AM
Crashing IS Flying
Cambridge, England
Joined Jan 2001
1,577 Posts
Well I am very late to this party. I have a background of starting with an Ikarus Piccolo FP heli

It took me 2 months to learn to hover and a further two months learning how to fly nose in. The first brushless motor I purchased for it cost me 100! We (there was a whole forum dedictaed to them) put hundreds of hours and 100s into these things modifying and upgrading them

So now along comes a V911 for 30/$30 including a radio and flies perfect right out the box

I haven't flown for quite a while so thought I would get one of these just for fun. I am addicted again lol

I now have a Turnigy 9X radio to go with it and have ordered another Yellow V911 which appears to be slightly upgraded. I am going to stick to these smaller/indoor models which you can fly in small places and will probably get a Nano CPX next as these things are almost indestructible. I kinda stopped flying after going to larger helis and spending a fortune flying and smashing them up over and over lol

Anyway I need to get back to my 9X (again amazing value for money) as I will need to flash it and install DSM if I want to fly these other BNF models. Having learnt how to fly the Piccalo the V911 is simplicity to fly!

Are there any good settings for the V911 and 9X ?

Regards

Jerry
jerrysimon is offline Find More Posts by jerrysimon
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:04 AM
Green Bay, Wis.
Joined May 2003
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Was in a mall today and stopped by the Brookstone store just for fun. They had their V911 clone "Stunt Helicopter"

http://www.brookstone.com/stunt-copt...796083p&catId=

The one thing that I did think was cool was the fact that the TX that comes with the Brookstone helicopter can be toggled between 3-channel mode and 4-channel mode. In 3 channel mode, rudder is on the right stick (like a S107G) and there is no aileron control. I might try to look out for a used Brookstone TX on ebay sometime. That might be a nice way to introduce someone to the V911 if they've only ever flown 3-ch IR helis.

Of course, I could also just make a 3ch mix on my T9x and do it that way as well... hmm.
I have the Brookstone Stunt Copter. Got it from my daughter for Christmas. It looks to be a V911 clone.
As for the transmitter, it looks just like the V911 transmitter.
The top left button is used to switch between low rates (called mode 1) and high rates (called mode2 or fast). High rates gives you more blade pitch and a more aggressive heli for outside.
The top right button is used to switch between 3channel (tail rotor on right stick and no ailerons) and 4 channel (tail rotor on left stick and ailerons on right stick).

I think she paid $70 on sale with 1 battery. A pack of 2 spare batteries was $18. So quite a bit more than the V911 ordered from China.

I have a Blade mcx2 coaxial so the Stunt Copter was a step up for me. I am getting pretty good with it though. I like that I can fly it outside and get aggressive with it and fly in the wind. This thread has been great for me. It has been flying great.
JimL is online now Find More Posts by JimL
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:23 AM
Joined Jan 2013
664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominjax View Post

Where did u get your carrying case?
Tboost is offline Find More Posts by Tboost
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:28 AM
Certifiable
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Dec 2012
2,573 Posts
I just recently noticed that the skids on my H911 have these little semi-circular tabs on one side that makes it sit crooked on a flat surface. I though it might be a manufacturing defect but I see them on pictures of other _911s. What purpose do they serve?
stringrazor is offline Find More Posts by stringrazor
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:36 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringrazor View Post
I just recently noticed that the skids on my H911 have these little semi-circular tabs on one side that makes it sit crooked on a flat surface. I though it might be a manufacturing defect but I see them on pictures of other _911s. What purpose do they serve?
The theory says, they will help you reduce the natural left drift of the heli on takeof, as they lean it to the right.
My experience says this is some stuff usually described in two letters, one of which is a B.

I always cut them of as I never experienced their use anyway. Then I rather use my piloting skillz to avoid the left drift on takeoff ...
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:42 AM
Poland, Greater Poland Voivodeship, Gmina Gniezno
Joined Feb 2013
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumppi T View Post
I added a small led on the front ...
...much easier to locate in the dark

Walkera Mini CP canopy fits plug & play with V911?
Nice landing gear though.
patrick1989 is offline Find More Posts by patrick1989
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:48 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,828 Posts
Quote:
They're supposed to reduce the left drift on take-off. I know some of the guys trim them off with nail clippers cos they don't like the look

Cheers
Fin
tiggertoo1962 is online now Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:51 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
The theory says, they will help you reduce the natural left drift of the heli on takeof, as they lean it to the right.
My experience says this is some stuff usually described in two letters, one of which is a B.

I always cut them of as I never experienced their use anyway. Then I rather use my piloting skillz to avoid the left drift on takeoff ...
Ha, beat me to it Sven . That's what I get for letting the wife hijack my computer in the middle of my answer... TO PLAY FRIGGIN' CRIMINAL SUSPECTS OR SOME SUCH DROSS
tiggertoo1962 is online now Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:15 AM
Micro Heli mods
Finland, Tuusula
Joined Mar 2012
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick1989 View Post
Walkera Mini CP canopy fits plug & play with V911?
Nice landing gear though.
Yes...i was only have to drill new holes to canopy ..... 1cm forward for the upper canopy holders and cut small pieces off to have more space for the servo arms.

Tumppi T is offline Find More Posts by Tumppi T
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Tumppi T; Feb 18, 2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:42 AM
umop apisdn - downside up
United States, MI, West Bloomfield Township
Joined Sep 2012
963 Posts
Solo Pro 127 Fuselage?

Hi

Sorry about my long absence from the forum. I've been busy earning money for more helicopters (and new furniture, and lots of tools, and a new TV...).

I'm still flying two of my three V911 corters, one with a Bravo SX Hughes 500 fuselage and the other with a Nano Hughes 300 canopy. Both of them have fisheye swash and carbon shaft. The Hughes 500 looks great and is quite docile with the heavier fuselage, the Hughes 300 is very agile as compared to a stock V911. My third bird has become a parts donor with a dead gyro and borken flybar.

I now have two Y911 heading my way from China. I'm thinking of using a Solo Pro 127 fuselage on one of them. From what I can see, the distance between the main shaft and tail rotor is pretty much an exact match for the V/Y911 airframe and the fact that the tail boom is not glued on the Y911 should make installation easier. I'm also hoping that since the Solo Pro 127 fuselage is slightly larger than the Bravo SX, there will also be a bit more internal space, making it easier to install it on the 911 without having to file the corners off the PCB.

Any thoughts on this project would be welcome.

Does anyone have any ideas on the durability and weight of the SP 127 fuselage as compared to the Bravo SX?

Regards,

Owen
nagromnewo is offline Find More Posts by nagromnewo
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:05 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,892 Posts
@nagromnewo :

Do you have a source where you can buy the Solo Pro 127 fuselage? I've got a Hobbico FP100 MD530:

which I understand is a rebranded Solo Pro 127 but with a different (cammo) canopy. Now, that being said, I like the much more colorful 127 canopy:

and so I'd love to get one to try out on my Hobbico heli.

Now, I also have Bravo SXs (actually hybrids with GW 9958 internals that also include Blade MCX/MSR parts in the head) and can comment on the canopy styles. Here are my thoughts:

* The Solo Pro 127 / Hobbico MD530 is slightly larger, obviously, and has a bigger internal volume that could better fit the RX board as you say.

* There are only 4 little holes for the skid mounts and so you'll have to make a very customized skid or else maybe use the Solo Pro skids and its battery holder piece (this heli is VERY modular).

* The MD530 fuselage feels more flexible and slightly less "brittle" than the Bravo SX. The tail fin certainly seems a bit stronger than the Bravo SX. I've had to strengthen one of the little fins on the Bravo SX tail with CA glue as it was bent in shipping.

* The nose of the MD530 is attached with magnets and so you can easily pop it off and on to insert the battery. The problem is that these little magnets can easily pop off of the canopy in the case of a crash (ask me how I know) but can be re-secured with CA glue.

Anyway, if you have a source for the Solo Pro 127 canopy, I'd love to know what it is! I've been looking around a little but but haven't found a source yet.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:06 PM
Crashing IS Flying
Cambridge, England
Joined Jan 2001
1,577 Posts
Ah didn't realise some nicknamed the yellow one a Y911.

Its great to be able to buy them BNF as I don't really want another TX having already got one with my first and now using my 9X.

I ordered 5 more of the 150mAh batteries old type/fitting.

Heli flying has never been this cheap

PS those canopies look BRILLIANT!

Regards

Jerry
jerrysimon is offline Find More Posts by jerrysimon
Last edited by jerrysimon; Feb 18, 2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:19 PM
Joined Jan 2013
309 Posts
Someone needs to come out with an Airwolf style body to fit our V/H/Y911s..They would sell like hotcakes id bet.
6sharky9 is offline Find More Posts by 6sharky9
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:37 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Aug 2012
220 Posts
Quote:
They're supposed to reduce the left drift of the heli on takeoff. That's OK for a smooth surface but I have always taken them off so I can lift off from carpet or other non-smooth surfaces.
2_Crash_Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by 2_Crash_Thumbs