SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:24 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2011
595 Posts
I can get the 40 watt radio shack to work it's not hard to seer if you know how to but a 100 watt will make things easier.
ITS ME DAVID is offline Find More Posts by ITS ME DAVID
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:04 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Feb 2013
168 Posts
AHAHAHA, I THINK I DID IT! Just went to Radio Shack and bought a 60w iron, and .022 62/32/2 rosin core solder. The wire originally snapped right where it connects to the board. I stripped the end of the wire, spent some time bending it so that it stayed right where it needed to be. Had the solder in one hand and iron in the other and went at it slow but finally got a drop or two on there. Fired the helicopter up and the main rotors responded to the TX input, woot woot! Is there anything I could put over the joint to make it more sturdy? Hot glue? Or should I just add some more solder?
aaronmichael is offline Find More Posts by aaronmichael
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:06 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2011
595 Posts
Congrats man.
ITS ME DAVID is offline Find More Posts by ITS ME DAVID
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:14 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,509 Posts
Yay for Aaron. Good job, man.

If the solder is holding, just leave it. No need to add more weight and messiness. A good solder will hold a long, long time. If it doesn't, you'll just get more practice, that's all. You're not planning on putting that iron in storage, are you?
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:20 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Feb 2013
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Yay for Aaron. Good job, man.

If the solder is holding, just leave it. No need to add more weight and messiness. A good solder will hold a long, long time. If it doesn't, you'll just get more practice, that's all. You're not planning on putting that iron in storage, are you?
Thanks! Hahah, I'm sure I'll need it in the near future. Hopefully the job I did on it holds up. The trick will be just not to crash the helicopter anymore. As I said before, worst comes to worst, I just buy a new one for $30. What's sad is that I've spent that much already on repairs. Suppose I should get used to that with this hobby, ha.
aaronmichael is offline Find More Posts by aaronmichael
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:27 PM
Green Bay, Wis.
Joined May 2003
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringrazor View Post
Is there a thread on one of these forums that talks about excercises for flying skills? Similar to my other (lifelong) passion for playing rock and roll, seems we like to talk about gear much more than about developing skills...lol.
Here is a site that covers helicopter lessons and exercises. It was made for larger collective pitch helicopers but much of it is useful for our small helicopters.
http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/helic...ls-cyclic.html
Open this site and scroll down to where is says Flight School in the left column.
JimL is offline Find More Posts by JimL
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:36 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmichael View Post
Thanks! Hahah, I'm sure I'll need it in the near future. Hopefully the job I did on it holds up. The trick will be just not to crash the helicopter anymore. As I said before, worst comes to worst, I just buy a new one for $30. What's sad is that I've spent that much already on repairs. Suppose I should get used to that with this hobby, ha.
The money you spent is an investment. You have enough solder, flux, and everything that you'll be soldering everything and anything for the rest of your life!!! Next time someone breaks a glass, and you'll say, "Can I solder that back for you?" Someone gets a paper cut and you'll bring the solder iron out!! $30 bucks of solder equipment goes a long way, man!
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:12 PM
Amateur copter crasher.
United States, OH, Worthington
Joined Dec 2012
135 Posts
Flew today... Got a little high..... Drop from about 100' to asphalt parking lot across the street... very light wind. This is the copter as I recovered it. Canopy gone, blade broke... skid askew. Tomorrow get to replace blades. Looks like it will live.

Name: copter.jpg
Views: 119
Size: 221.3 KB
Description:
jwilkers is offline Find More Posts by jwilkers
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:10 PM
Poland, Greater Poland Voivodeship, Gmina Gniezno
Joined Feb 2013
93 Posts
It gonna fly again

I wish
patrick1989 is offline Find More Posts by patrick1989
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:25 PM
Amateur copter crasher.
United States, OH, Worthington
Joined Dec 2012
135 Posts
It will. Motors power up.... just scared the pants off it... literally
jwilkers is offline Find More Posts by jwilkers
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:45 PM
Certifiable
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Dec 2012
2,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmichael View Post
AHAHAHA, I THINK I DID IT! Just went to Radio Shack and bought a 60w iron, and .022 62/32/2 rosin core solder. The wire originally snapped right where it connects to the board. I stripped the end of the wire, spent some time bending it so that it stayed right where it needed to be. Had the solder in one hand and iron in the other and went at it slow but finally got a drop or two on there. Fired the helicopter up and the main rotors responded to the TX input, woot woot! Is there anything I could put over the joint to make it more sturdy? Hot glue? Or should I just add some more solder?
Good man! Yes, I think a small dab of hot glue is a good idea. The weight that is added isn't worth talking about, it could save you another soldering job (which is always risky on small boards), and it removes easily if needed.

I'm still using a couple of Ungar pencils my dad gave me over 30 years ago. I think low wattage is best on small stuff (a variable station is optimal but they are expensive). I thought my old screw-in pencil cartridge was 15W but it's actually 25 and it's perfect for receiver board repairs. I have gold tip with a decently fine point that works ok (though smaller would be even better). I can't believe folks are using 40W+ on work this tiny. And a 100W gun?? I'd never go near receiver board with something like that! I had one of those "cold solder" tool pieces of crap for about 5 minutes some years back. It was completely useless for larger work (1/4" phone plugs). To each, his own I guess....
stringrazor is offline Find More Posts by stringrazor
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:47 PM
United States, VT, Windsor
Joined Apr 2012
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilkers View Post
Flew today... Got a little high..... Drop from about 100' to asphalt parking lot across the street... very light wind. This is the copter as I recovered it. Canopy gone, blade broke... skid askew. Tomorrow get to replace blades. Looks like it will live.

Attachment 5545569
The 450's are more impresive when they hit the blacktop like that, the little guys are more forgiving $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ can buy a fleet of 911's for the price of one good crash on a 450-500..
rpc4 is offline Find More Posts by rpc4
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:38 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2012
40 Posts

tominjax is offline Find More Posts by tominjax
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:43 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,509 Posts
Nice. But why would you need to carry 2 Txs?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:04 AM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2012
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Nice. But why would you need to carry 2 Txs?
Let someone else fly. One of my LB's is set up as a trainer (short links on the swash & inner holes on the servo arms). It also serves as a backup.
tominjax is offline Find More Posts by tominjax