HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:40 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,013 Posts
I got a PM that I started to quickly reply to. Well, that reply started to get wordy. And the PM has a limit as to how many characters you can send per PM. Figured it was good for the general discussion anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder_
how do you like the v911 anyway compared to the 9958?
As you may know, I have the Solo Pro V2, two mSR, 9958, modded 9958, and recently added the v911.

Out of the box, the v911 is a great flyer. It retains the agility and quick response of the Solo Pro. The package itself is more attractive. Especially with all the extras you get considering the price. i.e. charger, extra battery.

The v911 brings a couple of design improvements over the Solo Pro. Thicker flybar, which makes it overall stiffer...thus reducing the canopy and tail boom strikes for those that like to fly fast. They beefed up the tail boom from 1.7mm of the SP, to the 2mm used in the v911. Feels much stronger. And they increased the length by a lot. So that should give better tail authority. It's default configuration also reduced the gyro sensitivity and relocated the battery to be inlined with the main rotational axis, so it allows for better pirouette out of the box. The blade pivot pins, a weak point in the Solo Pro, is thicker on the v911. This means the blades between the two heli are not interchangeable, and it remains to be seen whether the thicker pivot pins makes the v911 more durable in that area.

The move away from linear servo like those found on the mSR and Solo Pro to more traditional servos allows for very quick responding servos at the expense of added weight to the bird. Lastly, the canopy is a one piece and stronger than the weight saving, light plastic of the Solo Pro. Overall, these little strength improvements makes the v911 about 3g heavier than the Solo Pro v2...both weigh without battery. Pretty significant. However, I have a feeling the motors may be strong to compensate for the weigh. Like Nine Eagles did for the Bravo SX.

So, back to the original question. What do I think?
  • Indoors, if you can only have one. I feel the V911 is the heli to get. It's very quick responding and flies great.
  • However, properly trimmed mechanically, the 9958 is more muted and stable if all your style of flying involves more hovering and do slow flights.
  • Outside, I have to give the nod to the 9958. Give it enough room, and it does very nice, smooth FFF banked turns.
  • However, if it's windless, the V911 is lots of fun too.

The V911 has a hard time going against the wind. It's a night and day difference comparing the 9958 to the v911. It has nothing to do with appearance or optical illusion either. The 9958 is apt to fly upwind if you as a pilot can handle it. In the same breeze, the v911 feels like it's tugging a truck behind it. It's just very slow. And under certain breeze, can only nose in hover into the wind. It can't seem to fly forward into it.

Anyways, back to the v911 and some cons. I think the biggest hurdle it has is the use of a proprietary battery. Additionally, the manufacturer's decision to CA most of their parts together is of great concern. Luckily, it so far is a pretty resilient bird. We'll get a better pulse of that once more people get their v911 and crash it. Especially after many of you gain more experience and actually does fast forward flights indoors. That's when the fun...and trouble really starts.

Finally, there seems to be quite a bit of reports of DOA helis. I don't know if it's the result of purchasing from an general online e-tailer like BangGood versus a more RC oriented e-tailer like MyRCMart. However, mine was purchased from MyRCMart, and I gave it a once over before plugging in the battery for the first time. I noticed there was a huge solder blob that shorted the tail motor pos, neg and the resistor that was in between. I didn't even know there was a resistor until I wicked away the solder and clean everything up. I wonder if I had plugged in the battery, whether my RX would have let out the smoke.

I noticed that my white/red heli was a rev.02 board (blue board). The rev.04(green board) I also purchased as a spare had cleaner solder points overall. Perhaps one of the differences between revisions is simply better manufacturing of the RX. I believe the part used for the motor transistors were also different.

Anyways, that's just me rambling. Not a definitive review or anything. I figured it adds to the discussion.

Overall, I still recommend this heli if you're looking for mainly an indoor heli. WL Toys did a great job of retaining the characteristics that makes the Solo Pro good, while seemingly improving on it in some key areas. Good clone...as long as the price point stays where it is at and parts availability is easy to source.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:43 AM
Joined Jan 2012
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Lord View Post
Hi Sprowt

Thanks for checking that for me. Not sure how you got that screenshot, but you seem to have different information to me.
Last message on mine says 'departure from outward office of exchange' on the 5th. Nothing about being opened.

http://intmail.183.com.cn/item/trace/itemTraceAction.do

Wish someone could explain what all these messages actually mean.

Anyway, seems ours reached Gangzhou, but not sure where it went from there.
Since Gangzhou is in China, I hope it has already left, but if not, we have the Chinese New Year to wait.

Still baffled

BL

BTW, Sprowt, what country are you?
Hey Border, when it says 'departure from outward office of exchange' it means that it has left China Post. In other words it probably is already waiting for a flight, in the air, or maybe it has just landed in your country and has not been scanned yet. I had to google it and go through the Dealextreme forums just to find out what it means, for I also have the same status on my order.
FrugalisFlyer is offline Find More Posts by FrugalisFlyer
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:58 AM
Joined Jan 2012
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick007shadow View Post
我不知道中国
But what can I do if I don't know Chinese or don't have here my Chinese friend
Hey Nick, if you are actually serious about purchasing from Taobao there are actually people called Taobao agents who can purchase things for you in China and then ship it overseas. Here is a link for more information: http://taobaofieldguide.com/taobao-g...-from-overseas
To be honest though, I have actually attempted to get a price quote to purchase a V911 on Taobao from their recommended agent, "Obook", and it came up to around $70 USD (airmail shipping). In summary, it can be more expensive to purchase through an agent especially if your purchasing one or two items, but do look around and see if you can get a lower price from other Taobao agents on the net.
FrugalisFlyer is offline Find More Posts by FrugalisFlyer
Last edited by FrugalisFlyer; Jan 21, 2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:32 PM
Joined Feb 2008
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
The V911 has a hard time going against the wind... ...It's just very slow.
I have 2 v911s and noticed one was easily twice as fast as the other in FF out of the box. The difference was due to two things: 1) trim of the pushrod for FF 2) On the fast one, there was servo horn bias for FF so that the servo head wasn't centered hands off; rather, forward flight had the advantage of the servo head passing through center (the fastest point of travel) while rearward flight only had the last bit of travel of the servo head

These two factors affect speed greatly IME and are a lot of fun to mess with.
adjangs is offline Find More Posts by adjangs
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:41 PM
Joined Jan 2012
24 Posts
V911 Questions

Guys
thanks for the all the helpful info in here - I got my v911 a week ago, and out of the box had some TBE. Read through here, loosened up the screw on my bar and put a little teflon bike chain lube on all the pivots - no more TBE! Now my next question; my bird will move backward when I hover w/ no hands on the right stick. I trimmed it, and found that I was near the max trim so I removed the rod from the right hand servo and turned it in a couple of threads. Even with that I need to have the forward trim at ~50% to stay steady. Here's a shot of the servos -

Name: IMG_7664.jpg
Views: 389
Size: 180.0 KB
Description:

at this point should I be using weights to alter the forward bias, or keep adjusting the servo/swashplate? Also, you can see that I've got 2-3mm gap between the swash and the blades and the pin on the right is near the bottom of its slot . Should I try to move the swash up or is it fine as is?
drbenjamin is offline Find More Posts by drbenjamin
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:43 PM
Joined Dec 2010
211 Posts
Quote:
I got a PM that I started to quickly reply to. Well, that reply started to get wordy. And the PM has a limit as to how many characters you can send per PM. Figured it was good for the general discussion anyways.

As you may know, I have the Solo Pro V2, two mSR, 9958, modded 9958, and recently added the v911.

Out of the box, the v911 is a great flyer. It retains the agility and quick response of the Solo Pro. The package itself is more attractive. Especially with all the extras you get considering the price. i.e. charger, extra battery.

The v911 brings a couple of design improvements over the Solo Pro. Thicker flybar, which makes it overall stiffer...thus reducing the canopy and tail boom strikes for those that like to fly fast. They beefed up the tail boom from 1.7mm of the SP, to the 2mm used in the v911. Feels much stronger. And they increased the length by a lot. So that should give better tail authority. It's default configuration also reduced the gyro sensitivity and relocated the battery to be inlined with the main rotational axis, so it allows for better pirouette out of the box. The blade pivot pins, a weak point in the Solo Pro, is thicker on the v911. This means the blades between the two heli are not interchangeable, and it remains to be seen whether the thicker pivot pins makes the v911 more durable in that area.

The move away from linear servo like those found on the mSR and Solo Pro to more traditional servos allows for very quick responding servos at the expense of added weight to the bird. Lastly, the canopy is a one piece and stronger than the weight saving, light plastic of the Solo Pro. Overall, these little strength improvements makes the v911 about 3g heavier than the Solo Pro v2...both weigh without battery. Pretty significant. However, I have a feeling the motors may be strong to compensate for the weigh. Like Nine Eagles did for the Bravo SX.

• Indoors, if you can only have one. I feel the V911 is the heli to get. It's very quick responding and flies great.
  • However, properly trimmed mechanically, the 9958 is more muted and stable if all your style of flying involves more hovering and do slow flights.
  • Outside, I have to give the nod to the 9958. Give it enough room, and it does very nice, smooth FFF banked turns.

The V911 has a hard time going against the wind. It's a night and day difference comparing the 9958 to the v911. It has nothing to do with appearance or optical illusion either. The 9958 is apt to fly upwind if you as a pilot can handle it. In the same breeze, the v911 feels like it's tugging a truck behind it. It's just very slow. And under certain breeze, can only nose in hover into the wind. It can't seem to fly forward into it.

Anyways, back to the v911 and some cons. I think the biggest hurdle it has is the use of a proprietary battery. Additionally, the manufacturer's decision to CA most of their parts together is of great concern. Luckily, it so far is a pretty resilient bird. We'll get a better pulse of that once more people get their v911 and crash it. Especially after many of you gain more experience and actually does fast forward flights indoors. That's when the fun...and trouble really starts.

Finally, there seems to be quite a bit of reports of DOA helis. I don't know if it's the result of purchasing from an general online e-tailer like BangGood versus a more RC oriented e-tailer like MyRCMart. However, mine was purchased from MyRCMart, and I gave it a once over before plugging in the battery for the first time. I noticed there was a huge solder blob that shorted the tail motor pos, neg and the resistor that was in between. I didn't even know there was a resistor until I wicked away the solder and clean everything up. I wonder if I had plugged in the battery, whether my RX would have let out the smoke.

I noticed that my white/red heli was a rev.02 board (blue board). The rev.04(green board) I also purchased as a spare had cleaner solder points overall. Perhaps one of the differences between revisions is simply better manufacturing of the RX. I believe the part used for the motor transistors were also different.

Anyways, that's just me rambling. Not a definitive review or anything. I figured it adds to the discussion.

Overall, I still recommend this heli if you're looking for mainly an indoor heli. WL Toys did a great job of retaining the characteristics that makes the Solo Pro good, while seemingly improving on it in some key areas. Good clone...as long as the price point stays where it is at and parts availability is easy to source.
While it's true that the V911 is the heli to get, after a few flights, you almost need the following components/investments to keep her in the air regardless of where you got this bird from: (1) Losing flight time => get Solo Pro V2 main gear ($3.5) to resolve gear grind, (2) Separating swash plate => get metal swash plate upgrade for Solo Pro ($9 for complete kit).
gettinglucky is offline Find More Posts by gettinglucky
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:48 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinglucky View Post
(2) Separating swash plate => get metal swash plate upgrade for Solo Pro ($9 for complete kit).
I just carefully glued mine with some black RTV adhesive. Stays put now, even in crashes.
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:51 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbenjamin View Post
I can't tell from the photo, but make sure the 4-ball plate above the swash is pushed all the way down into the swash bearing. If it's not, the heli will drift a lot.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:57 PM
Joined Dec 2010
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa Heli View Post
I just carefully glued mine with some black RTV adhesive. Stays put now, even in crashes.
That's not really a solution b/c it's messy. QC check at WLToys is really variable. If you get a bad one with severe gear grind, you'll find that the swash plate is part of the problem too... Best to replace both main gear and swash.
gettinglucky is offline Find More Posts by gettinglucky
Old Jan 21, 2012, 01:02 PM
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2005
1,450 Posts
Quote:

Thanks

I guess I need to trim my 9958 before condemning it. It is basically uncontrollable, twitchy and very unstable even on low rates. I was hoping the 911 was more docile but it looks like the 9958 when working well is still the best to learn FP on out of the bunc; MSR, Solo, (11, etc?

bob
steelgtr is online now Find More Posts by steelgtr
Old Jan 21, 2012, 01:06 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa Heli View Post
Quote:
That's not really a solution b/c it's messy.
It's not messy if you are careful and do it right. I can't even tell it's glued by looking at it because I didn't make a mess out of it. It's working perfectly so far and will probably stay together from now on no matter how hard the crashes are.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 01:07 PM
Beginner Pilot
United States, CA, Wheatland
Joined Dec 2011
205 Posts
So far I have probably 25 or 30 flights with no major crashes and a couple of minor "uncontrolled landings" My swashplate seperated once, I squeezed it back together with my fingers and it hasn't seperated since.
kenfrisbee is offline Find More Posts by kenfrisbee
Old Jan 21, 2012, 01:09 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
QC check at WLToys is really variable. If you get a bad one with severe gear grind, you'll find that the swash plate is part of the problem too... Best to replace both main gear and swash.
How are the gear grind and swash problem related? They should have no influence on each other from what I see.

Or do you just mean if you have one problem you might have the other due to back QA checks at the factory.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 01:12 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,013 Posts
@adjangs, thanks for that. I do the forward bias with my Solo Pro allow it to better fly into the wind. The same can be done with the v911 as you already mentioned. In fact, because of the servo design, it's even easier to do. Either way, it still doesn't compare to the forward flight ability of the 9958 under outside conditions with any breeze. Also, there is one factor when you forward bias. Bailout type correction is hamper. But it's more for pilots who pushes the limits and need full backwards throw to quickly bail out of an impending crash. It's definitely good to be aware of all this, so we can customize our Heli to our liking. one thing I need to figure out is why the Bravo SX do a better job against the wind. Is it the weight or more powerful motor?

@gettinlucky, I haven't had issues with swash separation yet despite crashing the v911 a number of times. There is definitely some variances between each v911 coming off the assembly line. Hope the situation improves in the further.

I'll keep an eye out for gear grind issues. I dont recall hearing too much about this.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 01:20 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,013 Posts
@steelgtr,
The mSR cost me a lot to maintain. I got this after I became a proficient flyer, yet it likes to break the parts. And being a horizon hobby Heli, replacement parts are expensive. And I think it's piro is too touchy. Good for showing off. But it's too touchy for regular fast forward flight. And during fast forward flight, it's just about impossible to turn left. This is on both my mSR. My Solo Pro, 9958 can turn left fine despite being a FP. Not sure what the deal with the mSR.

The Solo Pro is great. But the reason I like the v911 is because it can bind to my Turnigy 9x. I don't have to take multiple remotes with me when meeting up with other pilots here on RCGroups.

A properly trimmed Heli, whether it's a solo pro, mSR, 9958 or v911 will offer the best experience.