HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:28 PM
United States, PA, Washington
Joined Dec 2012
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominjax View Post
I have a extra flybar and was wondering if I cut the ends off, could I use this : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=A62A5QITNPU7J
Yes just sand it down and make sure you balance it.....

Or just "START HERE" This should be 101 class for V911
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1603147

Hope this helps...........

JohnK
John Karlo is offline Find More Posts by John Karlo
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:16 AM
Certifiable
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Dec 2012
2,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringrazor View Post
Rumor has it my H911 from Amazon has landed on my doorstep! It's gonna be a loooong afternoon at work....
Wow, I love flying this new bird! Was able to hover almost right away. Throttle and rudder on the same stick will take some getting used to but out of the box I flew twice through charges on the two lipos without a crash (ok, a couple of abrupt drops from low altitude onto the rug...). It's very fast, makes my 12'x22' living room seem really small.
stringrazor is offline Find More Posts by stringrazor
Last edited by stringrazor; Feb 13, 2013 at 01:29 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:43 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined May 2012
165 Posts
What's in the BG BNF box?

After reading the entire GW9958 thread (478 pages), it became apparent that the verdict is in and the micro FP heli of choice is the v911. Seeing that Banggood has the BNF for less than $20 shipped, I figured that it would be a crime to not buy three of them (all three colors), so I did just that. I also see that the new version sports a new connector - unfortunately I assumed that they went with the pico/mSR/nanoCPx/9958/etc eflight style battery connector (which would have been the logical choice - I've got a buttload of them), but I was dismayed to discover after searching this thread that the new connector is actually the larger mCPX one - D'oh!

So here's my question:
What is included in the Bangood BNF v911? Charger? Batteries? Spare blades? (Obviously there's no Tx.)
Also, what's the best way to modify this new connector version to handle the pico connector?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff Roberson
ridgerunr is online now Find More Posts by ridgerunr
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:00 AM
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgerunr View Post
What is included in the Bangood BNF v911? Charger? Batteries? Spare blades? (Obviously there's no Tx.)
Nuthin. Just the helicopter. Think of it as two helicopters, and one of every spare part.
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:42 AM
Joined Jan 2013
6 Posts
Well my BNF red and white V911 arrived from banggood yesterday after sitting at the post office since 2/8. Ordered on 1/20 and arrived on 2/8 to NC. Not bad 15 working days exactly as advertised. I think the red/white has more punch than my H911 and also was true and trimmed right out of the styrofoam box. Unlike the H911 which i had to do quite a bit of mechanical trimming to out of the box. Also got some screw sets for just incase (and because i had lost the flybar screw on the H911 and been using a bread twisttie), heads, and flybars to start doing some paddle mods. Sweet thing about that Xtreme MSR set is it comes with 2 sets of paddles so you can do 2 flybars with one order.

Some of you seasoned guys might not know this (because you haven't ordered a new V911 in a while) but I had a Lightning bird that i sent back because the motor burned out within 10 flights. But it had what i assume was the old style tail motor with the same diameter shaft all the way into the can. But both the H911 and my new BNF have a stepped tail motor shaft. So you can only seat the tail rotor to the step and it can't go all the way to the can. Pretty sweet. Now when the tail burns out i wonder if you will get the old style motor or if they are only making the new ones now....???
mejones827 is offline Find More Posts by mejones827
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:16 AM
Joined Jan 2013
7 Posts
Tail Motor

I have three v911's. My original red/wht one and a Y911 and most recently, a W911. The W911 is by far the most quiet! However, after about 5 flights, no crashes,the tail motor died. I make sure to bring the heli in before the motor has a chance to get too warm. I also have the motors below the tail boom with the tail rotor reverse to help keep it cool. Anyway, just a FYI.
NOFREDZ is offline Find More Posts by NOFREDZ
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:28 AM
Joined Feb 2013
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgerunr View Post
After reading the entire GW9958 thread (478 pages), it became apparent that the verdict is in and the micro FP heli of choice is the v911. Seeing that Banggood has the BNF for less than $20 shipped, I figured that it would be a crime to not buy three of them (all three colors), so I did just that. I also see that the new version sports a new connector - unfortunately I assumed that they went with the pico/mSR/nanoCPx/9958/etc eflight style battery connector (which would have been the logical choice - I've got a buttload of them), but I was dismayed to discover after searching this thread that the new connector is actually the larger mCPX one - D'oh!

So here's my question:
Also, what's the best way to modify this new connector version to handle the pico connector?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff Roberson
You have a link to the product?
zires is online now Find More Posts by zires
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:57 AM
Eye to the sky!
United States, NC, Concord
Joined Dec 2012
1,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFREDZ View Post
I have three v911's. My original red/wht one and a Y911 and most recently, a W911. The W911 is by far the most quiet! However, after about 5 flights, no crashes,the tail motor died. I make sure to bring the heli in before the motor has a chance to get too warm. I also have the motors below the tail boom with the tail rotor reverse to help keep it cool. Anyway, just a FYI.
I've read that running the motors in reverse will shorten their life since the tiny finger brushes are oriented for spinning in 1 direction. You may have more air going over the motor, but may also be making the motor run hotter by running it in reverse. I really don't know for sure one way or the other, but something to consider.
jason4207 is offline Find More Posts by jason4207
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:00 AM
Eye to the sky!
Joined Dec 2012
1,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejones827 View Post
Well my BNF red and white V911 arrived from banggood yesterday after sitting at the post office since 2/8. Ordered on 1/20 and arrived on 2/8 to NC. Not bad 15 working days exactly as advertised. I think the red/white has more punch than my H911 and also was true and trimmed right out of the styrofoam box. Unlike the H911 which i had to do quite a bit of mechanical trimming to out of the box. Also got some screw sets for just incase (and because i had lost the flybar screw on the H911 and been using a bread twisttie), heads, and flybars to start doing some paddle mods. Sweet thing about that Xtreme MSR set is it comes with 2 sets of paddles so you can do 2 flybars with one order.

Some of you seasoned guys might not know this (because you haven't ordered a new V911 in a while) but I had a Lightning bird that i sent back because the motor burned out within 10 flights. But it had what i assume was the old style tail motor with the same diameter shaft all the way into the can. But both the H911 and my new BNF have a stepped tail motor shaft. So you can only seat the tail rotor to the step and it can't go all the way to the can. Pretty sweet. Now when the tail burns out i wonder if you will get the old style motor or if they are only making the new ones now....???
The black/orange V911 I got a little while after Christmas didn't come with the stepped motor shaft. I have a BNF on the way, though. Sounds like a nice little improvement!

I placed an order on 1/24 and I'm also in NC. Maybe it will arrive today! *fingers crossed*

Why did the PO hold your package for so long?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:07 AM
Joined Jan 2013
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason4207 View Post
I've read that running the motors in reverse will shorten their life since the tiny finger brushes are oriented for spinning in 1 direction. You may have more air going over the motor, but may also be making the motor run hotter by running it in reverse. I really don't know for sure one way or the other, but something to consider.
Yeah, something to think about. I have all three of my heli's set up this way. The motors are much cooler after flying then before the mod. So far only one has died so quickly. Maybe someone else will chime in.
NOFREDZ is offline Find More Posts by NOFREDZ
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:12 AM
Certifiable
Joined Dec 2012
2,573 Posts
Quote:
While I haven't seen the 911's motor, I've taken a couple of failed 107 motors apart. While the brushes were partially destroyed, the cap that holds them is completely symmetrical. I saw nothing that suggested the motors are oriented for spinning in a certain direction. I don't plan on running them backwards, so I'm only discussing it out of curiosity but I'd love to see some evidence that they are "orientated" or not.

As I mentioned in previous posts, my H911 made her maiden flight last night. I understand the need for letting the motors cool between sessions. Given that, how long are other owners finding they last? Should I have a few on hand?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:29 AM
Eye to the sky!
Joined Dec 2012
1,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringrazor View Post
While I haven't seen the 911's motor, I've taken a couple of failed 107 motors apart. While the brushes were partially destroyed, the cap that holds them is completely symmetrical. I saw nothing that suggested the motors are oriented for spinning in a certain direction. I don't plan on running them backwards, so I'm only discussing it out of curiosity but I'd love to see some evidence that they are "orientated" or not.

As I mentioned in previous posts, my H911 made her maiden flight last night. I understand the need for letting the motors cool between sessions. Given that, how long are other owners finding they last? Should I have a few on hand?
I have dissected the 7mmx20mm motors on my X4 trying to repair them and the brushes are definitely oriented for 1-way travel. I'll try to take a pic later tonight, but basically spinning in the correct direction has the armature pushing out toward the ends of the finger brushes while spinning backwards has the armature wanting to bind them up. Imagine a spinning log and putting your hand against it. In 1 direction your fingers will just flow over the log; in the other direction your fingers tend to want to bind up on themselves.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:54 AM
Joined Jan 2013
6 Posts
I didn't have time to go get it. My mailman is lazy and if it doesn't fit in the box he sits there and takes the time to fill out the "your package is at the PO" slip instead of walking his lazy to the front porch.

I feel like Chevy Chase in funny farm
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:57 AM
Joined Jan 2013
6 Posts
Does anyone have a reliable source for the Bravo SX motor? I've looked and they are sold out most places. Myrcmart and ebay have some but I don't have experience with either one of the sellers.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:25 PM
Certifiable
Joined Dec 2012
2,573 Posts
Quote:
I have dissected the 7mmx20mm motors on my X4 trying to repair them and the brushes are definitely oriented for 1-way travel. I'll try to take a pic later tonight, but basically spinning in the correct direction has the armature pushing out toward the ends of the finger brushes while spinning backwards has the armature wanting to bind them up. Imagine a spinning log and putting your hand against it. In 1 direction your fingers will just flow over the log; in the other direction your fingers tend to want to bind up on themselves.
I wrote my post before coffee. Now that I'm fully awake, I realize that you are correct. The brushes lay against the commutator which spins toward the ends of the "fingers". All things being equal, the motor would probably work just as spinning well in either direction but the impact of a crash while spinning would have greater potential to cause damage to the brushes, like buckling the fingers, if it were spinning the other way.

Have you ever achieved a successful repair? I've tries a couple of times but fabricating those tiny brushes out of what I had lying around has proven extremely difficult. I figure thought, with a few more motors replaced on my 3ch, I'd have at least a couple of good brushes in the broken parts bin.