HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:28 PM
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITS ME DAVID View Post
I have been practicing flying the heli inside with the fan on high and dang it's pretty hard to control.
I do this too. It's really fun. I'm kind of bummed, my fiance and I ripped out the old ceiling fan last night and replaced it with a regular dome light. The fan was too low to be practical, but it sure made a great obstacle for flying helicopters. I'll miss it.

Now I've got the space heater, the main heat/ac circulation, and a gigantic ionic lasko tower fan. I had all three going, in different directions, throughout my flying area yesterday. Very fun, trying to fly through a current going one way, then trying to land in front of the oscillating space heater on a 12x12 floor vinyl floor time I use as a landing pad.

I'll miss the "land the coaxial on the ceiling fan blade" game a lot, though.
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:48 PM
United States, IL, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2012
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITS ME DAVID View Post
^ thanks I want outdoors setup
check bangood for spare heli alone $20 stock up on spares they have helios screw kit in v911 parts as well good to have.
Some have modded battery turned forward for faster forward flight.
153stars is offline Find More Posts by 153stars
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:54 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2011
595 Posts
Yup lol good Practice teknique lol
ITS ME DAVID is offline Find More Posts by ITS ME DAVID
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:31 AM
Joined Dec 2012
188 Posts
My new v911 board comes in today, I should have never thrown the old one away, Now I don't know which wires go where...Could someone please take a picture & post it for me please? Thanks!
R.sok is offline Find More Posts by R.sok
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:47 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2011
595 Posts
I believe there is a pik of a board a few pages back
ITS ME DAVID is offline Find More Posts by ITS ME DAVID
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:56 AM
Joined Dec 2012
86 Posts
Tail rotor heating up >>> sign of impending failure

After 3 weeks of getting my first o/b heli, the tail motor got heated up after third battery. Then it will pirouette, showing sign that motor is failing. If I were to cool it down, then it will function OK, for another 2-3 batteries.

Time to change the tail motor ?

Have anyone got the same experience ?
karhar is offline Find More Posts by karhar
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:04 AM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,489 Posts
I just got a new V911 for someone else and here are a few things I noticed compared to my old one. Some of these have been pointed out before but here is my list:
  • Looks to be using the tougher black tail blades. The color-matched blades would always break at the hub. I have had one of these black ones on my heli forever without issue and it never slips or moves on the shaft. I'm not sure if this WL supplied black blade is the same as the one I got on eBay so we'll see.
  • The tail motor has a little nub protruding out towards the blade. This helps prevent the blade from pushing down the shaft and getting stuck. Although with the black blades I have never had it push down on the shaft because it stays tight. This nub also makes it hard or impossible to oil the tail motor bearing.
  • Uses "B" main blades instead of the older "A" blades. The B version has slightly thicker protrusions on it which make it a little stronger where the two blades interface at the head.
  • This may be specific to the board I got but the FET's are covered with epoxy. This is bad because now they can't easily be fixed if they burn out. If there is anything I learned from the 80's it's that putting power components in epoxy is a bad idea.
  • Does not have the cylindrical crystal hanging off the board which was a common cause of broken main boards.
  • Uses the newer flybar with lighter weights.
  • Skids seem the same thickness (ie. very thin) as my old one but they seem a lot stiffer. Not sure if that is good or bad.
  • The pinion gear is not as long as my old one. A long one is nice because you can move it up or down to get fresh teeth when they start to wear out. Most people won't notice this though because they will probably need a new motor before the pinion wears out. Plus it's difficult to move the pinion anyway (needs heat).
  • New style battery holder. I prefer the old one once it's worn in and loose but the new one is easier to use when it's new. I guess it holds the battery more securely but I have never had a battery pop out of the old style either.

At least that's what I noticed in the ~30 seconds I looked at it. I forgot to look at the head to see if anything was different. It flew about the same as my old one so probably nothing radical. It needed a bit of right aileron mechanical trim before it was 100% stable. However, I do notice a slight CCW tail drift that my old one has never done.
LittleMo is offline Find More Posts by LittleMo
Last edited by LittleMo; Feb 04, 2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:46 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jun 2012
1,262 Posts
@R.sok Click thread tools, and show attachments. There are some good close ups.
Jasen40 is offline Find More Posts by Jasen40
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:20 AM
Spain, CT, Barcelona
Joined Jan 2013
97 Posts
As some of you, I use the dh9116 transmitter to control my v911. All works great except the trims buttons that do nothing at all. Anyway if you program the subtrim it works great but it seems so weird that the buttons do nothing when you are in flight. Anybody can confirm that this works like that?.
Regards.
connerESP is offline Find More Posts by connerESP
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:58 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,622 Posts
If you are going to stay in the hobby at all, don't waste money on the 9116 Tx. I highly suggest getting a Turnigy 9x. Even with stock firmware (which I think is just fine), you have 8 model memory and can fly everything from gliders to collective pitch helis to the V911. Most important purchase right next to decent charger.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:19 AM
Spain, CT, Barcelona
Joined Jan 2013
97 Posts
Yes you are right but I own this Tx already. May be next purchase will be a Turnigy 9x. I just wonder if the weird behaviour of the trims buttons is a standard or works to somebody on the right way.
Regards.
connerESP is offline Find More Posts by connerESP
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:51 AM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.sok View Post
My new v911 board comes in today, I should have never thrown the old one away, Now I don't know which wires go where...Could someone please take a picture & post it for me please? Thanks!
From kkddmm's blog..

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...REV01F_R10.jpg
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:56 AM
Always borking my corter
Joined Feb 2012
126 Posts
I've been waiting for someone to start selling main blades and heads for the new style V911. Does anyone have any info on this? I have 3 of the new V911s and all three are down because they all have broken blades. My new helis have 'A1' and 'B1' blades, but the only blades I can find for sale are the old style ('A' or 'B').

One also has a broken head which I also cannot find for sale. I realize that I can downgrade the blades and head to the older style, but I'd rather not do that if I can avoid it.
bflan2001 is offline Find More Posts by bflan2001
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:59 AM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bflan2001 View Post
I've been waiting for someone to start selling main blades and heads for the new style V911. Does anyone have any info on this? I have 3 of the new V911s and all three are down because they all have broken blades. My new helis and 'A1' and 'B1' blades, but the only blades I can find for sale are the old style ('A' or 'B').

One also has a broken head which I also cannot find for sale. I realize that I can downgrade the blades and head to the older style, but I'd rather not do that if I can avoid it.
I thought the only they changed in the new style was the battery connector, so old version heads and blades should work on the new version heli.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:00 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bflan2001 View Post
I've been waiting for someone to start selling main blades and heads for the new style V911. Does anyone have any info on this? I have 3 of the new V911s and all three are down because they all have broken blades. My new helis have 'A1' and 'B1' blades, but the only blades I can find for sale are the old style ('A' or 'B').

those should be new style, right (not my discovery)
http://www.amazon.com/Helizone-Light...rd+spare+parts
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Why I L-O-V-E miracle mart ...