Joined Jul 2012
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.sok View Post
Diy Heatsink with solo pro v2 tail motor

Paper Canopy for the hell of it

Third servo arm mounting point

Lightning bird with mini rubber band for my 240 mah

You paper canopy is great, nice work. Good source of inspiration, I will try it.
fauconnier is offline Find More Posts by fauconnier
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:22 PM
Joined Dec 2012
188 Posts
Thnx. Here is the link, your supposed to use photo paper, but I just used regular flimsy paper as I wasn't sure how it would turn out.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1812966
R.sok is offline Find More Posts by R.sok
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:22 PM
Flying mostly pop-wings now.
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Dec 2011
281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortfellow View Post
Thanks for the reply Ash. It was a cold solder joint where the antenna wire connects to the PCB. Works now. Vince
You are welcome.
I have had one of mine lose a antenna and it worked just as good, I have since soldered one back on, I cut a piece of speaker wire.
ashtodust2000 is offline Find More Posts by ashtodust2000
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:47 PM
Joined Dec 2012
11 Posts
Nice heatsink mod R.sok, I gotta try that.

That reminds me,
I was brainstorming last night about ways to keep these tail motors cool and thought, "why not open the can somehow"? maybe slice down the side with a dremel loaded with a cut-off wheel to allow the motor to let out some heat while it's running. Then that lead me to thinking about how a lot of electric motors are designed with holes. So why doesn't WLtoys have holes drilled in their motors? Cost? And what if we were to drill holes in our tail motors, or slice the sides, think it would keep it any cooler? Probably have to take it apart first though before cutting or drilling to avoid damage to the armature and whatever else is in there and to clean all the metal shavings out before running it. So maybe not worth it. Probably a crazy idea but thought I would throw it out there anyways.
ilmystic is offline Find More Posts by ilmystic
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:53 PM
Joined Dec 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Search this thread for "debonder".
That was the magic word. Thanks
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:15 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2012
40 Posts
To the guys that have burnt out tail motors...

What kind of outside temperature were you flying in? How many batteries did you go through? Any break between flights?

I only ask because at first I was flying my Lightning Bird back to back five times with the 200mah batteries (I have 5). I was even flying until the heli could not get any altitude anymore. Outside temps here in FL have been anywhere from 60F to 80F.

Since finding this thread I have begun giving it a rest between batteries.
tominjax is offline Find More Posts by tominjax
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:16 PM
Joined Dec 2012
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmystic View Post
Nice heatsink mod R.sok, I gotta try that.

That reminds me,
I was brainstorming last night about ways to keep these tail motors cool and thought, "why not open the can somehow"? maybe slice down the side with a dremel loaded with a cut-off wheel to allow the motor to let out some heat while it's running. Then that lead me to thinking about how a lot of electric motors are designed with holes. So why doesn't WLtoys have holes drilled in their motors? Cost? And what if we were to drill holes in our tail motors, or slice the sides, think it would keep it any cooler? Probably have to take it apart first though before cutting or drilling to avoid damage to the armature and whatever else is in there and to clean all the metal shavings out before running it. So maybe not worth it. Probably a crazy idea but thought I would throw it out there anyways.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't cut slits in coreless motors?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:26 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Aug 2012
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmystic View Post
...brainstorming...maybe slice down the side with a dremel loaded with a cut-off wheel ...
These little motors use the magnetized case as the stator magnets.
2_Crash_Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by 2_Crash_Thumbs
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:02 PM
Joined Dec 2012
11 Posts
Alright, I'll scrap that idea.

R.sok, what type of thermal paste would be best to use?

And is the thermal paste all that is needed to adhere the aluminum to the motor?
Last edited by ilmystic; Jan 22, 2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:06 PM
Joined Dec 2012
188 Posts
I used a tiny tiny amount of this http://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Silver-...paste+compound

& then once all the fins are how you like them I took super glue & blotched it around the small areas so all the fins come as one
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:16 PM
Joined Dec 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominjax View Post

What kind of outside temperature were you flying in? How many batteries did you go through? Any break between flights?

I only ask because at first I was flying my Lightning Bird back to back five times with the 200mah batteries (I have 5). I was even flying until the heli could not get any altitude anymore. Outside temps here in FL have been anywhere from 60F to 80F.

I was flying in about 70F and only running the two 130 mAh stock batteries that came with it. Usually no breaks in between flights but the tail motor didn't even feel hot. Just a little warm. I estimate that I flew about 30 to 40 times before the motor would stick at the beginning of each flight and I had to give the rotor a nudge to get it going. I'm not even a 100% sure that I did burn it out; maybe I just had a bad motor from the start. Hopefully that's all it was.
Last edited by ilmystic; Jan 21, 2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:35 PM
Joined Dec 2012
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominjax View Post

I also have the lightning bird, my tail motor didn't go completely out, But after I flew into a tree tail first, it started to stick so I replaced it with a Nine Eagles motor.

Temps have been 32/40 f 5 minute breaks
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:24 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jun 2012
1,263 Posts
Does any one have a spare 9116 TX they would like to sale? My 4 year old knocked mine off my desk and broke the left stick internally. I can get it back together with good response.
Jasen40 is offline Find More Posts by Jasen40
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:46 PM
Joined Jan 2013
133 Posts
What's the best way to maintain the batteries overnight or for two or three days without flying? Charged, partial charge, depleted after flight and recharged before next flight, etc. If charged should they be topped off before flying? Does this apply to all LiPos or just these small ones?

Thanks in advance, I did some searches but came up empty.
Heloo is offline Find More Posts by Heloo
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:58 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heloo View Post
What's the best way to maintain the batteries overnight or for two or three days without flying? Charged, partial charge, depleted after flight and recharged before next flight, etc. If charged should they be topped off before flying? Does this apply to all LiPos or just these small ones?

Thanks in advance, I did some searches but came up empty.
Don't know much about the theory, based solely on practicality I leave mine fully charged when able. Haven't noticed any ill effects.
stonecutter is online now Find More Posts by stonecutter