HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:54 PM
Joined Dec 2012
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.sok View Post
Mine does the same thing after 4 minutes of flight, but that's expected as the voltage is starting to drop...30 seconds seems too fast. I would order another tail motor just to have on hand, they're not expensive
And some new LiPos too I'd say.
lalelilo is offline Find More Posts by lalelilo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:02 PM
Flying a Falcon or a RC Heli.
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPCR View Post
What is the best process to replace a tail motor on the V911. So I have a soldering iron, solder, a replacement motor and some time to do the surgery soon. I like to hear from the experts what works the best. Looking at the tail boom and the 2 wires that protrude from the boom and that are soldered to the board, I am assuming that the way to do this is :
1/ drink one glass of Cabernet
2/ remove the canopy
3/ unsolder the 2 wires making sure NOT TO HEAT UP the board. Note. What size soldering iron (watts) is preferred for this work
4/ remove the tail boom Question : Is that just to be PULLED out or is that glued in , how to do this??
5/ removing the motor from the boom. How do you do that? Any hints or nifty idea"?
Next re-install as follows
6/ insert the wires from the motor through that boom . Any hints as to how and what to use?
7/ grab hold of the 2 wires and gently pull them all the way through
8/ pour a glass of wine.
9/ thinking now. Now how do you attach or lodge the motor in it's place. Any hints ?
10/ ahh yes.. I need that tail rotor from the old motor. How to pull that rotor off?? Hints?
11/ Attach that rotor to the motor . Jeez, that rhymes! So. how do I do that?? Glue or spit or?
12/ Slip on the new tail fin from the front towards the back.
13/ re- attach the boom to the back of the heli. What to use , glue ?? hammer/ nails??
14/ re-solder the 2 wires.
15/ test the tail motor
Note to self:. Perhaps I should have tested the motor BEFORE doing all the work. So, could I have stuck the 2 wires in a battery and see if the motor turns?? Hmm. Any problems doing that..?
16/ reinitialize the heli with the TX
17/ have aother glass of wine to toast success.
18/ go and fly the sucker.
19/ Now do it all over again for heli # 2 and #3 suffering from the same illness.

Comments, input.please.
Don't mess with the boom. Cut the old wires as long as possible , add 2 piece of shrink tube before, solder, put the motor back. When possible, push the pin inside the tail blade instead of pulling at it.
fauconnier is offline Find More Posts by fauconnier
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:07 PM
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauconnier View Post
Don't mess with the boom. Cut the old wires as long as possible , add 2 piece of shrink tube before, solder, put the motor back. When possible, push the pin inside the tail blade instead of pulling at it.
I forgot, The tail motor can appear weak, or slow just because the tail fin is too deep on the shaft, touching the motor. Push the shaft when pulling on the fin.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:36 PM
San Mateo, CA
United States, CA, Foster City
Joined Dec 2012
982 Posts
Quote:
I forgot, The tail motor can appear weak, or slow just because the tail fin is too deep on the shaft, touching the motor. Push the shaft when pulling on the fin.
. Haa. Could you explain that one more time please.I took a picture so we know what we are talking about.
Here is what i THINK I read in both emails:
1/ cut the two wires somewhere in the middle between where they protrude from the boom and where to disappear in the motor mount.
2/ remove the motor just by sliding it away from and off of the mounting brackett.
3/ grab the shaft with a set of skinny pliers and pull the prop with the other hand , that will remove the prop.
4/ attach the new prop just by pushing it onto the shaft
5/ re-insert the motor in the mount
6/ solder the 2 wires
7/ have a glass of wine :-)

does that sound about right?

Now in terms of soldering. I have been reading the forums and some folks are talking about insulating solder joints with a little drop of clear nail polish. So I am wondering if that nail polish would be strong enough the "hold" the joints so it in effect, it becomes the glue itself. Nail polish can be removed with nail polish remover . No residue. Has anybody tried that??
HPCR is online now Find More Posts by HPCR
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:41 PM
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
TMart.com

Just wanted to pass along that tmart.com has the black/orange version on sale right now for $35.99. Free shipping and ships from a US warehouse.

http://www.tmart.com/New-Wltoys-V911...e_p160636.html

My wife got my a Syma S107G coaxial for Christmas and I was looking for the next step up in my learning and decided on the V911. Ordered mine today from tmart and looking forward to learning something new.

Eventually hoping to step up to a 6 channel CP unit so the V911 will hopefully help with the learning process.
isuee94 is offline Find More Posts by isuee94
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:24 PM
Joined Dec 2012
188 Posts
Just a tip, If anyone wants fff & mode 2 isn't enough outside & you have a steady hand, you could do what I did & heat up a needle, then carefully melt a tiny hole on the outer edge of the servo arm.

This thing has a great deal of more authority now
R.sok is offline Find More Posts by R.sok
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:42 PM
San Mateo, CA
United States, CA, Foster City
Joined Dec 2012
982 Posts
Quote:
Just a tip, If anyone wants fff & mode 2 isn't enough outside & you have a steady hand, you could do what I did & heat up a needle, then carefully melt a tiny hole on the outer edge of the servo arm.

This thing has a great deal of more authority now
Are you saying that you add another "setting" in the servo so it has MORE authority? Just wondering if you are stressing the servo outside it's design characteristics = $$ repair.
HPCR is online now Find More Posts by HPCR
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:52 PM
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
669 Posts
Quote:
. Haa. Could you explain that one more time please.I took a picture so we know what we are talking about.
Here is what i THINK I read in both emails:
1/ cut the two wires somewhere in the middle between where they protrude from the boom and where to disappear in the motor mount.
2/ remove the motor just by sliding it away from and off of the mounting brackett.
3/ grab the shaft with a set of skinny pliers and pull the prop with the other hand , that will remove the prop.
4/ attach the new prop just by pushing it onto the shaft
5/ re-insert the motor in the mount
6/ solder the 2 wires
7/ have a glass of wine :-)

does that sound about right?

Now in terms of soldering. I have been reading the forums and some folks are talking about insulating solder joints with a little drop of clear nail polish. So I am wondering if that nail polish would be strong enough the "hold" the joints so it in effect, it becomes the glue itself. Nail polish can be removed with nail polish remover . No residue. Has anybody tried that??
3) To remove the prop on a good or may be good motor , start by pushing the shaft inside the prop with a little nail or a small bur with one hand while maintaining the prop with the other hand. It is not always possible, something the prop has a cover ( yellow V911) and you don't have access to the shaft. If you simply pull the blade from the tail motor there is a good chance that you pull the shaft out of the motor, or loosening it, it happens to me a couple of times. If one of my tail blade has to be replace and I don't have access to the shaft I always grind the plastic, with a dremel, to reach the shaft. After a crash, when a prop is too deep on the shaft ( could slow the motor by friction ) don't simply pull the prop , again push the motor shaft inside the prop with a small flat metal tool while maintaining the prop in the other hand. It is the same action of using a puller to remove a pinion on a motor shaft. Of course when you are sure that the motor will finish on the garbage, pull the shaft !

Never heard of that use for the nail polish.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:53 PM
Joined Dec 2012
188 Posts
Not really another setting in the servo, but a different mounting point for the servo arm allowing more leverage. I like the rudder of mode 1 but head speed of mode 2, however I don't enjoy the high rudder speed in mode 2. So by making a third mounting spot I can enjoy the head spead of mode 2 with the rudder speed of mode 1
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:55 PM
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
669 Posts
Quote:
Are you saying that you add another "setting" in the servo so it has MORE authority? Just wondering if you are stressing the servo outside it's design characteristics = $$ repair.
Are you sure you want more servo action then what you get when pushing the top left button, that's a lot !
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:00 PM
Joined Dec 2012
188 Posts
Diy Heatsink with solo pro v2 tail motor

Paper Canopy for the hell of it

Third servo arm mounting point

Lightning bird with mini rubber band for my 240 mah

Last edited by R.sok; Jan 21, 2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:00 PM
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
669 Posts
Quote:
Not really another setting in the servo, but a different mounting point for the servo arm allowing more leverage. I like the rudder of mode 1 but head speed of mode 2, however I don't enjoy the high rudder speed in mode 2. So by making a third mounting spot I can enjoy the head spead of mode 2 with the rudder speed of mode 1
Check the resistor mod. on this thread to reduce the rudder, I did it , it is exactly what you get. Maximum cyclic on the fast mode, normal rudder. If you like to fly inside your living room, add a switch, I did it, because in normal mode the rudder will be reduce too much.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:01 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,211 Posts
R.sok, what are we looking at? Heat sink for tail motor?
stonecutter is online now Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:12 PM
Joined Dec 2012
188 Posts
Quote:
Are you sure you want more servo action then what you get when pushing the top left button, that's a lot !
It just makes it that much funner! I was thinking of doing the resistor mod, but eventually I will bind it to something that would allow me to adjust rates
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:16 PM
Joined Dec 2012
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
R.sok, what are we looking at? Heat sink for tail motor?
Yeah, It's a diy heat sink. It consists of can aluminum & tiny dabs of thermal paste.