Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:59 AM
San Mateo, CA
United States, CA, Foster City
Joined Dec 2012
896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arr0wHead View Post
Since my first explanation wasn't enough:

To elaborate, I had to RETURN 2 defective units before getting one that actually worked. I can see why they have a successful repair/replacement program. Why test each unit like other stores do when you can charge the customer to do it for you?

No extra batteries included either. Another genius move. Include an extra $1.50 worth of spares in the box, but include only a single 120mah battery vs. the two most sellers include.

An RTF kit elsewhere for $45 is a much better deal. Speaking of which, my Lightning Bird flew better out of the package than any of the three Brookstones I went through.

Brookstone is preying on mall-buyers and noobs too intimidated to repair their helicopters themselves. There's no way to paint this as a bargain.
Agree, but that is because we have done the homework to find out how to source and maintain ( buy spares) but I do like the decals on their bird. Very fancy and cute. I would not say Brookstone is preying on their customers. They are providing another gizmo as many of their products are. I think it was clever to add that " maintenance program" this will completely diffuse any et al ramifications as to the quality or the difficulty of use ( breaking parts and needing more). That is capitalism at it's best for you!
HPCR is offline Find More Posts by HPCR
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:05 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,308 Posts
Hey, whatever gets more folks into the hobby, right? Maybe someone's first heli comes from Brookstone but then they get into it and find RCGroups when searching for information. Once they come here, they'll be in good hands.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:09 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Jan 2013
40 Posts
I'm fairly new to heli's and the V911 is my first FP. Is it normal to constantly have to adjust the rudder trim while flying?

On a fresh battery it's ok with neutral rudder trim for say 30 secs of flight, then it'll constantly keep needing a click every now and again to stop it skewing/rotating. As the battery runs down it needs more and more, upto need full trim at the very end of the battery.

Is this normal behaviour for a FP 4 ch heli?
ChickenDrumstick is offline Find More Posts by ChickenDrumstick
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:19 AM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenDrumstick View Post
I'm fairly new to heli's and the V911 is my first FP. Is it normal to constantly have to adjust the rudder trim while flying?

On a fresh battery it's ok with neutral rudder trim for say 30 secs of flight, then it'll constantly keep needing a click every now and again to stop it skewing/rotating. As the battery runs down it needs more and more, upto need full trim at the very end of the battery.

I hope so, because my V911 does the same exact thing.
I'm pretty sure it's just due to the voltage slowly going down as the motor uses up the battery during it's run.
Hit N Run is offline Find More Posts by Hit N Run
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:22 AM
Joined Dec 2012
50 Posts
[QUOTE=ChickenDrumstick;23881399]On a fresh battery it's ok with neutral rudder trim for say 30 secs of flight, then it'll constantly keep needing a click every now and again to stop it skewing/rotating. As the battery runs down it needs more and more, upto need full trim at the very end of the battery./QUOTE]

I have the same behavior but after a few minutes. I wonder if the lack of rudder authority isn't the first sign that the voltage delivered by the LiPo is getting too low.
lalelilo is offline Find More Posts by lalelilo
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:23 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,308 Posts
Yeah, I think so too. Mine kind of does that to varying degrees but I never just sit there and hover it in front of my face though. I'm always moving and always correcting for rudder and thus don't really notice it.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:25 AM
Joined Dec 2007
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtodust2000 View Post
It sounds like you have a cold solder joint on the crystal, Try and resolder the crystal.
Thanks for the reply Ash. It was a cold solder joint where the antenna wire connects to the PCB. Works now. Vince
shortfellow is offline Find More Posts by shortfellow
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:39 AM
Flying a Falcon or a RC Heli.
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
657 Posts
Quote:

I would consider replacing the tail motor.
fauconnier is offline Find More Posts by fauconnier
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:20 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,079 Posts
I've never had a rudder on ANY heli that didn't require some correction. Some worse than others. Constant drift is no good, however, it should be better than that. You should not be able to sit there and see it rotate, it should be very minor. But don't expect perfection from these ultra cheap birds and yes, they get worse with battery voltage going down.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:55 PM
San Mateo, CA
Joined Dec 2012
896 Posts
Consider it a good part of your training, it forces you to manage the rudder effectively. Then, start making some correct turns that include aileron ( to lean the heli at the correct angle) and you will be a real pilot soon!! LOL
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:06 PM
Joined Dec 2012
11 Posts
I've searched for these answers but couldn't find anything

So does anyone know for certain how the tail boom is adhered to the main frame of the V911? CA?
If yes, is it a bad idea to use straight acetone, like the kind they have at Walmart in the paint department? Or how about a common household item? I read somewhere that water can actually break down cyanoacrylate but have a hard time believing that one.
ilmystic is offline Find More Posts by ilmystic
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:13 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
5,835 Posts
Search this thread for "debonder".
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:27 PM
San Mateo, CA
Joined Dec 2012
896 Posts
What is the best process to replace a tail motor on the V911. So I have a soldering iron, solder, a replacement motor and some time to do the surgery soon. I like to hear from the experts what works the best. Looking at the tail boom and the 2 wires that protrude from the boom and that are soldered to the board, I am assuming that the way to do this is :
1/ drink one glass of Cabernet
2/ remove the canopy
3/ unsolder the 2 wires making sure NOT TO HEAT UP the board. Note. What size soldering iron (watts) is preferred for this work
4/ remove the tail boom Question : Is that just to be PULLED out or is that glued in , how to do this??
5/ removing the motor from the boom. How do you do that? Any hints or nifty idea"?
Next re-install as follows
6/ insert the wires from the motor through that boom . Any hints as to how and what to use?
7/ grab hold of the 2 wires and gently pull them all the way through
8/ pour a glass of wine.
9/ thinking now. Now how do you attach or lodge the motor in it's place. Any hints ?
10/ ahh yes.. I need that tail rotor from the old motor. How to pull that rotor off?? Hints?
11/ Attach that rotor to the motor . Jeez, that rhymes! So. how do I do that?? Glue or spit or?
12/ Slip on the new tail fin from the front towards the back.
13/ re- attach the boom to the back of the heli. What to use , glue ?? hammer/ nails??
14/ re-solder the 2 wires.
15/ test the tail motor
Note to self:. Perhaps I should have tested the motor BEFORE doing all the work. So, could I have stuck the 2 wires in a battery and see if the motor turns?? Hmm. Any problems doing that..?
16/ reinitialize the heli with the TX
17/ have aother glass of wine to toast success.
18/ go and fly the sucker.
19/ Now do it all over again for heli # 2 and #3 suffering from the same illness.

Comments, input.please.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:32 PM
Joined Dec 2012
188 Posts
Quote:

Mine does the same thing after 4 minutes of flight, but that's expected as the voltage is starting to drop...30 seconds seems too fast. I would order another tail motor just to have on hand, they're not expensive
R.sok is offline Find More Posts by R.sok
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:40 PM
Joined Dec 2012
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPCR View Post
What is the best process to replace a tail motor on the V911. So I have a soldering iron, solder, a replacement motor and some time to do the surgery soon. I like to hear from the experts what works the best. Looking at the tail boom and the 2 wires that protrude from the boom and that are soldered to the board, I am assuming that the way to do this is :
1/ drink one glass of Cabernet
2/ remove the canopy
3/ unsolder the 2 wires making sure NOT TO HEAT UP the board. Note. What size soldering iron (watts) is preferred for this work
4/ remove the tail boom Question : Is that just to be PULLED out or is that glued in , how to do this??
5/ removing the motor from the boom. How do you do that? Any hints or nifty idea"?
Next re-install as follows
6/ insert the wires from the motor through that boom . Any hints as to how and what to use?
7/ grab hold of the 2 wires and gently pull them all the way through
8/ pour a glass of wine.
9/ thinking now. Now how do you attach or lodge the motor in it's place. Any hints ?
10/ ahh yes.. I need that tail rotor from the old motor. How to pull that rotor off?? Hints?
11/ Attach that rotor to the motor . Jeez, that rhymes! So. how do I do that?? Glue or spit or?
12/ Slip on the new tail fin from the front towards the back.
13/ re- attach the boom to the back of the heli. What to use , glue ?? hammer/ nails??
14/ re-solder the 2 wires.
15/ test the tail motor
Note to self:. Perhaps I should have tested the motor BEFORE doing all the work. So, could I have stuck the 2 wires in a battery and see if the motor turns?? Hmm. Any problems doing that..?
16/ reinitialize the heli with the TX
17/ have aother glass of wine to toast success.
18/ go and fly the sucker.
19/ Now do it all over again for heli # 2 and #3 suffering from the same illness.

Comments, input.please.
I did mine the lazy way as I couldn't seem to pull the tail boom off, cut the wire, solder, then again I didn't try any type of anti bonding agent, so I assume you would need something that is plastic safe.

For the rotor you can pull it off by hand & push it back on by hand about halfway, don't put adhesive on this part as it would make removable difficult in case of an accident.

I had to resolder wires on my board due to mishaps & I believe any fine tip solder should work. I don't solder a lot & have been using this 4 year old super cheap soldering iron fine.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062758

Removing the motor from the boom, I flxed the mount & pushed it out
R.sok is offline Find More Posts by R.sok