HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:42 AM
Joined Dec 2012
188 Posts
I believe the skid is made flimsy for a reason, with most of the plastics being very flexible the whole heli is able to absorb a crash a lot better. I mean you could always get really thin aluminum bars (tiny bars they use for making jigs at a fishing store) & give that a shot, But keep in mind if you make a part too rigid & crash hard, the rest of the frame may not be able to absorb it as efficiently. With all that being said I haven't broken my skid yet & I cut it to accept my 240mah battery
R.sok is offline Find More Posts by R.sok
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:05 AM
United States, OK, Goldsby
Joined Jul 2012
456 Posts
Here's another "store-branded" v911 clone with a really cool canopy, the helizone lightening bird:

Helizone Lightning Bird (V911) 4-Ch Single Rotor Maiden Flight (2 min 37 sec)
Mike Meyer is offline Find More Posts by Mike Meyer
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:00 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,681 Posts
@smcgug
It could be bad luck, coincidence that the second motor is dying too. Sometimes, you hit them right and they go bad. Other times, you crash the heck out of it and the tail motor will go on, seemingly invincible.

A few things you can check.

Make sure the tail rotor isn't push in too much where it make rub the can. This can happen if the rotor takes a hit.

Check that there are no hair or foreign material in the shaft. We've had many cases where the hair is wound so tightly it escapes casual inspection.

Double check your solder joint to ensure it's not a cold joint that may have cracked and is giving intermittent power.

Lastly, understand that the tail motor will not always spin. It does so when the gyro detects the head spinning to the left and will activate to counter it to keep the head still. A way to test is to hold the Heli in your hand and spin the head left. The tail so wake up to counter your attempt. It's a way to test that gyro is working as well.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:39 AM
Flying a Falcon or a RC Heli.
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
716 Posts
Tail length

Anybody tried to shorten the length of the tail boom ? how does it affect the flight ?
fauconnier is offline Find More Posts by fauconnier
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:16 AM
Joined Dec 2012
19 Posts
v911 subreddit /r/v911

I ordered a blue/white V911 from banggood on December 20th, and received on Jan 7th in Canada. After over 60 flights and many crashes I can now fly it with some confidence and now have the bug! I Have ordered 2 more BNF and a bunch of spare parts.

After reading the first 400 pages of this monster thread and keeping up with the newest posts on the other end I thought everyone might be interested in this WLtoys V911 subreddit as it seems there is a pretty good community here
josephdyland is offline Find More Posts by josephdyland
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:27 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
10,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karhar View Post
HI there,

Got my V911 from Banggood, 2 weeks after I placed my order.

Did some VMI last night.
- the skid is really really filmsy, no wonder so many reports of broken skid. Has anyone done any mod on the skid ? Maybe like reinforcing it with wire to make it stiffer ? If it is indeed stiffer, any concern of hard landings (due to stiffer skid) that may cause damage to the receiver ?
Cheers
To me, for quite a while now, the AIRTIME skids are the cats meow!! and you can fit them to practically ANY micro FP you want (with an easy mod). They have their price, but on all the helis I used them yet, they have WELL been WORTH it!!! (then again, thats just ME)
However, in the vast majority of cases, using "non-V911" skids will mean you have to change the battery plug ... (at least that is how it looks to me)
(I did airtime skids with pictures on the SP270 for example ... and as soon as I get the white ones in I will put them on my nanoCPX ...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=243

In my personal experience the Airtimes were easily flexible enough to work as the "shock absorber" you talk about ...
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:12 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jun 2012
1,377 Posts
@Smchugh, Since this is the second tail motor issue, i would request a replacement from the seller, or use Amazon's 30 day return policy including free return shipping.

@karhar, Does yours take the new or original style batteries. If it uses the original style, you can get the stronger skids made from the Y911 from Banggood, and i have seen them on Ebay also.
Jasen40 is offline Find More Posts by Jasen40
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:45 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Dec 2011
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smchugh View Post
This time it doesn't spin unless I give it about 2 bars on the tx display of throttle which at that point it works fine.
Couple of possibilities that I can think of, one the blade or prop is on too far on the motor shaft creating friction. Two, the motor is defective. Does the blade spin freely? That's the first thing I'd look at. Beyond that I don't have any suggestions.
LarryCnAZ is offline Find More Posts by LarryCnAZ
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:46 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Jan 2013
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dferrey View Post
I was vacillating over whether to return to Amazon for a full refund or get a replacement from Halley. Based on your comment, I changed my mind and will send mine back as well. I like that they worked with me and are working with you and I want to help them be successful.
Quick update:

Halley received my heli on 1/11. I haven't heard anything back. I sent them a follow up email this morning.
dferrey is offline Find More Posts by dferrey
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:14 PM
Joined Jan 2013
67 Posts
I got my v911 BG today (15 days from China to Colorado). Of the 3 heli's (1 other v911 and a 120sr) this is the first that hovers without a ton of TBE. It needs a lot of rudder trim (I wish there was a way to mechanically trim rudder) and a tad of backwards trim, but other then that, I'm pleased. Finally a bird I can learn to fly
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:15 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Aug 2012
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Sometimes, you hit them right and they go bad. Other times, you crash the heck out of it and the tail motor will go on, seemingly invincible.
I put on the tail rotor by applying force to the end cap and pressing the rotor as close to the end bearing as possible without it being tight. My intention is to prevent the end cap from being pushed off thus destroying the brushes both when installing and when flying..
2_Crash_Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by 2_Crash_Thumbs
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:18 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Aug 2012
220 Posts
Quote:
...It needs a lot of rudder trim...
In my experience the better the mechanical trim of the roll and pitch servo links the less yaw trim is needed.
2_Crash_Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by 2_Crash_Thumbs
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:21 PM
Joined Jan 2013
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_Crash_Thumbs View Post
In my experience the better the mechanical trim of the roll and pitch servo links the less yaw trim is needed.
Yes, I'm new . I'm getting "yaw trim" = what I said was "rudder trim".

What's roll and pitch? Would that be crab trim (as it's referred to in the "manual")?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:43 PM
Joined Dec 2012
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauconnier View Post
Anybody tried to shorten the length of the tail boom ? how does it affect the flight ?
Nice custom canopies. did you paint them? were they a direct fit to the pegs or did you have to drill? nice job!
MicroHeliManiac is offline Find More Posts by MicroHeliManiac
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:13 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2012
124 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I'm new . I'm getting "yaw trim" = what I said was "rudder trim".

What's roll and pitch? Would that be crab trim (as it's referred to in the "manual")?
Rudder = yaw
aileron = left/right rotation = roll
elevator = front/rear rotation = pitch

Thwock is offline Find More Posts by Thwock