SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:15 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Aug 2012
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryka View Post
...I just ran through a pack until the bird drifted to the ground and didn't really have any lift. I decided to measure the voltage...
Single cell LiPo's charge up to 4.2 Volts and then when in use rapidly dump to 3.8 volts in 15 to 20 seconds and then deliver consistently declining power and then around 3.6 Volts they decline rapidly. This is why they are 3.7 V cells.
2_Crash_Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by 2_Crash_Thumbs
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:20 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,268 Posts
@larryka, seems like Amazon came thru for you, you are getting another heli and keeping the 'defective' one, right? (Effectively you are getting a free or highly discounted second heli.)

The less than perfect hover is not something to worry about, as long as it flies ok. Your voltage measurements seemed in the ballpark of what I remember others have reported.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:21 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeintexas View Post
You were absolutely correct. Turns out the tail rotor hub split out one side all the way through. Had to flex it to see the crack.

Not a very good picture, but hopefully you can see it. The rotor was able to spin on the shaft. It's a wonder it worked at all. When I put the new one on it was much tighter on the shaft. Flies great now. Thanks all of you for your help.

George
Good job on the trouble-shooting! Simple repairs are always a good thing.

Your BNF can now become one of your fleet and hopefully you'll always have one in the air.

regards . . . g
gordonzo is online now Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:28 PM
Joined Dec 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_Crash_Thumbs View Post
This is why they are 3.7 V cells.
Makes sense, thanks.
larryka is offline Find More Posts by larryka
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:31 PM
Joined Dec 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
@larryka, seems like Amazon came thru for you, you are getting another heli and keeping the 'defective' one, right? (Effectively you are getting a free or highly discounted second heli.)
I do have to send the defective unit (which might be ok now per my earlier post) back, but Amazon is covering the return shipping as well. So I shouldn't be losing anything on the first unit, but I'm paying the $3 more for the second unit which may or may not behave the same way as the first one. Oh well... at least I can keep the first unit for a couple of days to compare to the second one before returning it.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:32 PM
V911 Heli Owner
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Dec 2012
32 Posts
Quote:
How susceptible are these units to ambient Wi-Fi and other signals in the 2.4GHz range?
I have 5 access points at the house in my home office for testing and I've seen no issues with my V911 and communications.
dweeber is offline Find More Posts by dweeber
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:39 PM
Joined Dec 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweeber View Post
I have 5 access points at the house in my home office for testing and I've seen no issues with my V911 and communications.
Good to know, thanks.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, it seems like the twitchy servo(s) went away after mechanically trimming. I did find it interesting that when it was happening, it totally stopped when I shutoff the TX and it returned when I powered the TX back on. Does anyone know if there's a failsafe feature that cuts power to the servos if the TX/RX link is totally lost? It's either that, or the TX was sending some slight and intermittent commands due to a bad/sensitive stick? We'll see if the replacement unit has similar issues tomorrow.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:44 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_Crash_Thumbs View Post
I have pondered about purposefully loosening the tail rotor so that it slips a little in order to prevent damage to the blades and/or the motor.
The loss of tail control will cause more crashes with less damage . . . or will it . . .

Kind of like a self-fulfilling prophecy?

regards . . . g
gordonzo is online now Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:08 AM
Trees are bad
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2012
127 Posts
Quote:
Good to know, thanks.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, it seems like the twitchy servo(s) went away after mechanically trimming. I did find it interesting that when it was happening, it totally stopped when I shutoff the TX and it returned when I powered the TX back on. Does anyone know if there's a failsafe feature that cuts power to the servos if the TX/RX link is totally lost? It's either that, or the TX was sending some slight and intermittent commands due to a bad/sensitive stick? We'll see if the replacement unit has similar issues tomorrow.
From what I have read I believe a servo twitches because there is a potentiometer (pot) in the servo that tells it what it's current position is. If there is damaged or a dirty spot on the pot where the servo is being commanded to locate the servo will go back and forth trying to locate the correct position. If the TX is off or it is on with a different stick value it will stop twitching. If this theory is incorrect please feel free to enlighten me.
Stevez1kart is offline Find More Posts by Stevez1kart
Last edited by Stevez1kart; Jan 04, 2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:03 AM
Bvc
United States, TX, Houston
Joined May 2012
330 Posts
Quote:
Thank you for the replies regarding my new Lightning Bird and its servo twitch.

However, after going through the mechanical trimming process outlined by Daryoon on his blog, it seems like the twitch is gone. I'm not sure if manually moving the servos a little while trying to pop off the arm did something,
It can. Sometimes that's all it takes. Sometimes a twist of the rods can fix it (mechanical trimming). Other times I've removed the screw to the servo arm and moved the arm to another position just to get a different set of teeth meshing. I had a few that were sticking really bad and both changed teeth and worked the servo by moving the arm back and forth a lot (even had to use pliers when sticking really bad). I'm still using one of those months later. I've also taken them a part, cleaned and lubed them, but that's not fun, IMO. All that to say, had I known this, I would not have needed to buy an RX and BNF.
Bvc is offline Find More Posts by Bvc
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:08 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweeber View Post
Hmmmm. As soon as I turn my stock TX on it takes about 1/2 an hour for a web page to load (if it does at all). Any idea if there's a fix for this?
tiggertoo1962 is offline Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:08 AM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Aug 2012
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevez1kart View Post
... there is a potentiometer (pot) in the servo that tells it what it's current position is...
YES!, That's how they work. If there is a flakey spot in the servo then perhaps it can be cleaned by a judicious application of anti-oxident electronic cleaner to the feedback pot(iemter).
2_Crash_Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by 2_Crash_Thumbs
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:45 AM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Nov 2012
331 Posts
I'm just wondering about the "old" plugs vs. the "new" plugs. I'm confused... I bought one or two of these last summer and the batteries had the little white tips on them (kind of like the EFlight batteries) Then they changed it to having those two silver metal strips on the one side at the end. Those were called the "new" ones at the time. Now I went to order one for my nephew and it's showing that the "new" version has the white tips again. Am I going crazy or what? Is anyone else confused - or is it just me?
Thanks!
Rain4LA is offline Find More Posts by Rain4LA
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:01 AM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain4LA View Post
I'm just wondering about the "old" plugs vs. the "new" plugs. I'm confused... I bought one or two of these last summer and the batteries had the little white tips on them (kind of like the EFlight batteries) Then they changed it to having those two silver metal strips on the one side at the end. Those were called the "new" ones at the time. Now I went to order one for my nephew and it's showing that the "new" version has the white tips again. Am I going crazy or what? Is anyone else confused - or is it just me?
Thanks!
The ones with two silver metal strips were the old type, they resemble Nine Eagles batteries. To my knowledge they were never referred to as new type.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:44 AM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Nov 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
The ones with two silver metal strips were the old type, they resemble Nine Eagles batteries. To my knowledge they were never referred to as new type.
Okay cool. I guess I wasn't keeping up with those. It's just weird because My old ones had the white plastic tip, and my newer ones had the metal strips - but whatever! Thank you!
Rain4LA is offline Find More Posts by Rain4LA