SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:40 PM
SMILE you're being recorded :)
Joined Apr 2010
755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder_ View Post
I used the most basic template, might well be acro. The heli modes are for CP helis only, and preconfigure the CP mixers which you don't need with a FP heli.

I am using alternative firmware ER9x, so my settings will not apply for stock 9x owners, which one do you use? I guess screenshots only make sense if you also use ER9x.
Hi Mulder,

I have both, but usually I leave the one with ER9X firmware to fly my Gaui 500X that is been built to become a professional tool.

But give me settings for ER9X and I will try to translate them to 9X. If I can't do it then will have it on the ER9X too.

It's a shame as we need to move to ER9X to get a programming manual as I never could find one for the original 9X! That makes it a lot harder, but now that I will start learning to program the ER I hope it will give me some light on 9X mixings too!
Velociraptor73 is offline Find More Posts by Velociraptor73
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:41 PM
FPV Pilot
Germany, NRW, K
Joined Jun 2010
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
I still dont understand, why you guys are all keep on discussing which batteries and how and how to change the connectors etc.

NE changed their battery style a while ago - this is why the chargers for NE were labeled "Solo Pro - New Model" for some time.

Wouldnt the easiest just be to "give" the V911 an original solo pro landing skid with the "right" plug - then the whole "battery drama" would just EVAPORATE ...
i usually change the battery connector on my batteries to fit my models, not the models to fit my batteries what would I do with my existing batteries... make them fit to the solo pro skid, makes no sense at all^^
Mulder_ is offline Find More Posts by Mulder_
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:54 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
I still dont understand, why you guys are all keep on discussing which batteries and how and how to change the connectors etc.

NE changed their battery style a while ago - this is why the chargers for NE were labeled "Solo Pro - New Model" for some time.

Wouldnt the easiest just be to "give" the V911 an original solo pro landing skid with the "right" plug - then the whole "battery drama" would just EVAPORATE ...
More than a few posters have mentioned that the skids are glued on, so changing skids is probably a little out of most people's comfort zones.
stonecutter is online now Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Jan 18, 2012, 01:04 PM
Joined Apr 2010
755 Posts
Unfortunately I don't want to risk (yet) breaking my only V911 trying to remove the glued skids, but Solo Pro landing gear will not work on it as the battery goes on reverse position (facing the heli nose). The only one that I know that will match perfectly the v911 is the BRAVO SX skids, and no other battery in the market fits the original v911 skid plug as they are all made to Solo Pro V1,V2 or T-Rex 100, that are all almost identical apart from none, one or two backward rails while the V911 plug requires lateral rails on both sides, something I have never seen in any other model. So, either you find a way to remove original V911 skids and replace them with Bravo SX model (the best option in my opinion) or you change the batteries connector for compatible ones sold by myrcmart and banggood. As far as I know, the best 1S batteries are the Nano-Tech or the top shelf Hyperion ones. I guess with this I put an end on batteries discussions for a while! ; )

Now let's move ahead...

Still looking for some serious programming configurations to fly the v911 with original Turnigy 9X, if someone has it and don't mind sharing, it will be greatly appreciated, not only by me but I believe by the hole V911 thread participants. Otherwise I will stick to the nice and generous Mulder's offer of helping me with programming the ER9X, that I also have but usually prefer to live it to fly more expensive toys with optional upgraded module.

And I heard someone mentioning a brushless conversion, that would be top shelf if it's not too complex to be worth trying!

Imagine the Solo PRo and T-Rex pilots faces when they are put to absolute shame by a cheap unknownbrand micro heli! LOL
They would have to cut their new upgraded overpriced models to half price in order have a chance of competing in the market! I would absolutely love that! : )
Last edited by Velociraptor73; Jan 18, 2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 01:33 PM
Brosol
Canada
Joined Dec 2010
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawmadeCF View Post
.........................I am however in the middle of turning my V911 brushless (for the main motor) and will use the full kit again once I have that power available to me...the extra weight will not be a problem after that.
I'm also interested details for V911 BL conversion.
Brosol is offline Find More Posts by Brosol
Old Jan 18, 2012, 01:47 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,338 Posts
Battery weight, and quality affects on both duration and punch the heli has. As one become tuned to the v911, these factors become very apparent. Eventually, solving the issue with being able to use quality third party battery on the v911 will become a very important IMHO.

The glued on skids will be an issue to overcome for those wishing to use alternate skids. I believe the regular Solo coaxial uses compatible skids. Otherwise, you may be able to go with Xtreme. Their battery cage looks like it's held on by a screw, so you may be able to reverse the orientation so that it'll work with the v911.

I don't have my heli yet so i can't help find a concrete solution other than the above suggestions.

-Daryoon

P.s. I still am not sure what the battery connector is for. I am still holding out hope that they are adapters to be able to use Align and Solo Pro style batteries.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:05 PM
Joined Apr 2010
755 Posts
"P.s. I still am not sure what the battery connector is for. I am still holding out hope that they are adapters to be able to use Align and Solo Pro style batteries."

Yep Daryoon, the battery connectors sold apart are meant to replace connectors from batteries made to other helis brands. I don't like this option as I also have a Solo Pro V2 and a Bravo SX with around 15 spare batteries from different brands. By changing the skids I can use those batteries in all my models, including the v911 that I'm really impressed with. That would be great! In last case I'm thinking about cutting off the V911 skids and gluing over the Bravo Skids. Glued for glued, at least I will have the best skid option installed (for my case)! But how can this guys at the factory glue the parts that are supposed to be replaced when broken? Bad bad move WLToys!
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:10 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
I'm not really convinced you're going to see much difference going to a slightly larger battery (130 vs 160 mAh). I've been consistently getting 5 to 5-1/2 min aggressive flights on my V911 with the stock 130 mAh battery. I usually stop at 5 min to keep the discharged battery voltage around 3.7 volts to help keep the battery healthy.

Maybe someone who's using both the stock battery and larger battery can make some comparisons to verify if it's really worth while.
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:14 PM
Magyarország, Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén, Miskolc
Joined Dec 2011
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa Heli View Post
I'm not really convinced you're going to see much difference going to a slightly larger battery (130 vs 160 mAh). I've been consistently getting 5 to 5-1/2 min aggressive flights on my V911 with the stock 130 mAh battery. I usually stop at 5 min to keep the discharged battery voltage around 3.7 volts to help keep the battery healthy.

Maybe someone who's using both the stock battery and larger battery can make some comparisons to verify if it's really worth while.
Stock battery is 120mAh
csomi2 is offline Find More Posts by csomi2
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:22 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,338 Posts
What I found while putting my batteries to the test, hooking it to see their discharge curve on the computer.

The additional capacity may not get you too much more noticeable flight time, but it will hold a flatter discharge curve. That means, more voltage during your flight time equating to better punches for aggressive flying. This is noticeable for bailouts and near misses. For the newbies and less aggressive flyer, any battery that will last 5 minutes will do.

If you haven't seen my preliminary discharge curve, here's your chance:

Pertinent post here: http://www.hacksmods.com/2012/01/1s-...charge-curves/

Indoors, I like the agility of the heli with a 120 or 130mAh battery.

Outdoors, the weight and better voltage holding capacity of the 160mAh battery gives good stability and power against breezes.

Edit to add: I find the Turnigy 160 performing on average, better than the Nano-Tech 160. These are the cells with the parkzone/eflite connector. I did not test the Nine Eagles version of the Nano-Tech because I didn't have any on hand.

Also, the Hyperion didn't dip below 3.8v until 173 sec into the test.

I hear the Intellect 130mAh is actually the same as Hyperion, but a little cheaper. There was a discharge test to prove it.

My discharge test were ran at .6A. Typically, our helis draw about 1A to 1.5A during throttle punches.
Last edited by Daryoon; Jan 18, 2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:25 PM
FPV Pilot
Germany, NRW, K
Joined Jun 2010
270 Posts
OK, so i have about 4 flights with the Turnigy 160mAh and my impression so far is that they do not hold up to their specs at all. I usually fly my batteries till there is not enough power to lift the heli anymore there is still >3V left on them and IF that is reducing their lifespan, so be it. I have my timer programmed to the throttle stick and i usually get between 5:50 and 6:30 minutes of flight time, mostly depending on the flight style. After those first flights I consistently had about 5:00 - 5:20 minutes flight time they also loose considerable punch when crossing the 4 minute mark.

I am currently doing some charge/discharge comparisons between the v911 stock, the Turnigy Nano Tech 160 and the Turnigy 160 (non nano tech); latter are used in my xieda 9958 and I am very pleased with them, they are slightly better then the 9958 stock lipo.

it will take a while to run some cycles, but so far my charger tells me that the Nano Techs 160mAh takes only between 110-120 mAh at 0.5A charge rate when previously discharged at 0.5A down to 3.4V. the non nano tech turnigies have been pressure filled by me at rates between 1-1.2A and constantly hold >150mAh. I will post a more detailed comp later.

I am going to fit a non nano tech with the v911 connector and see how that works.

@Daryoon: What are you using to get these discharge plots? Always wanted to be able to that too.
Last edited by Mulder_; Jan 18, 2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:42 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,338 Posts
Mulder_:
It's interesting, because from my own testing...the Nano-Tech were not as good as the Turnigy 160. The NanoTech were new with at least 5 cycles in them. While the Turnigy 160 was at a disadvantage, because they were old. (Turnigy1 certainly showed it.)

In fact, on average, the three stock 9958 batteries performed better than the 4 NanoTech. There was one NanoTech, NanoTech6, that stood apart from the rest. Goes to show that you can get good cells and you can get bad ones. I think the premium manufacturers probably have tight QC that ensure ALL cells leaving their factory can perform to their standard. Hyperion even has a warranty where they replace bad cells in the 1st year. And after that, I think they charge half price or something like that. I saw it in their product brochure.

Also, here's another fella with more test...including the important, Internal Resistance of the various cells. Good read for those interested.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/f...afz1785z#50275
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:01 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,250 Posts
Looking at all those plots gives me a headache. If we take cost into account, what's the best battery for the money? .... for under 3 bucks?
stonecutter is online now Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:22 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,338 Posts
For under $3 bucks, you've pretty much eliminated everything except the HobbyKing ones.

First, you gotta solve the battery connectivity issue.

I personally like the Turnigy 160. Decent weight, price and performance.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:29 PM
FPV Pilot
Germany, NRW, K
Joined Jun 2010
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
For under $3 bucks, you've pretty much eliminated everything except the HobbyKing ones.

First, you gotta solve the battery connectivity issue.

I personally like the Turnigy 160. Decent weight, price and performance.
have you seen my pics on the previous page where I refit these battery connectors?

just figured out how to record charge/discharge curves with my charger... will restart my tests