HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:13 PM
Joined Dec 2012
8 Posts
Newbie with a new Lightning Bird and a twitch

Hi all,

I've been reading this thread, among others, for the past week or so and decided to order a Helizone Lightning Bird from Amazon. It showed up today... I don't really have any flying experience, besides some brief time on a couple of Brookstone coaxials that we bought for the kids (which fly reasonably well), and uncontrollable time on an Air Hogs Havoc (2011 model) that I received as a gift.

Back to the Lightning Bird/V911... I charged LiPo batteries and put some fresh AAs into the controller. Everything seemed to bind up properly, and away I went. After a couple of crashes, I'm able to hover reasonably well and land. There seems to be some forward, left sway and left rotation drift (probably not the correct terms), which electronic trimming seems to help, but I'm also in a small room (a converted attic) with short ceilings and slanted walls, so I'm not sure how much of it is the bird vs. the environment. I'm going to try in a larger room soon.

Here are my questions, please feel free to tell me to search again if there's an obvious answer in the thread that I have missed:

1. The left servo seems to twitch while the bird is on the ground idle. If I move the right stick ever so slightly to the right, it seems to stop, but sometimes it doesn't. If I extend the right stick to a max point, it also seems to stop intermittently, but the servo moves the arm as expected. When I turn off the TX, but leave the bird on, it consistently stops. I saw some references to what I think is this twitch in the thread, but I haven't seen a solution yet. Any thoughts on if it's normal? If not, is it probably something in the TX or on the RX board/servo? Should I return it for a replacement since I just got it?

2. I remember one or more posts regarding adjusting the arms for beginner/indoor flight, but can't find them now. I'll be flying indoors in small rooms (no gyms) for the foreseeable future, so slow and steady is probably the way to go for now. Can someone give me a link to one of these posts and/or wiki entries?

Thanks for all of the info, it's been an entertaining and informative thread. I think I've caught the bug

- Lawrence
larryka is offline Find More Posts by larryka
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:17 PM
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Sep 2012
355 Posts
Any one know where to get carbon fiber shafts? Seems to me the weight saved there could easily compensate for a larger battery.
hcker2000 is offline Find More Posts by hcker2000
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:50 PM
Trees are bad
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2012
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcker2000 View Post
Any one know where to get carbon fiber shafts? Seems to me the weight saved there could easily compensate for a larger battery.
Banggood, about a 1g less and I have yet to break one but I'm trying.
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-V9...t-p-49035.html
Stevez1kart is offline Find More Posts by Stevez1kart
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:50 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Aug 2012
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcker2000 View Post
Any one know where to get carbon fiber shafts?
Here is the carbon fiber shaft and improved 'fisheye' swash from the yellow 911:

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-V9...t-p-49035.html

Yes, they are 100% compatible.
2_Crash_Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by 2_Crash_Thumbs
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:02 PM
Trees are bad
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2012
127 Posts
larryka, I'm sure someone has a better answer but, some less than perfect servos twitch but, that doesn't necessarily affect flight but, it might. The only fix for a bad servo would be a repacement heli.

I allways move the left servo arm to the inside hole to slow the side to side movement and adjust the rod lengths to hover without radio trim (no mechanical trim for rudder). You can search this thread for mechanical triming. Sorry but I don't have a link.
Stevez1kart is offline Find More Posts by Stevez1kart
Last edited by Stevez1kart; Jan 02, 2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:46 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryka View Post
Hi all,

I've been reading this thread, among others, for the past week or so and decided to order a Helizone Lightning Bird from Amazon. It showed up today... I don't really have any flying experience, besides some brief time on a couple of Brookstone coaxials that we bought for the kids (which fly reasonably well), and uncontrollable time on an Air Hogs Havoc (2011 model) that I received as a gift.

Back to the Lightning Bird/V911... I charged LiPo batteries and put some fresh AAs into the controller. Everything seemed to bind up properly, and away I went. After a couple of crashes, I'm able to hover reasonably well and land. There seems to be some forward, left sway and left rotation drift (probably not the correct terms), which electronic trimming seems to help, but I'm also in a small room (a converted attic) with short ceilings and slanted walls, so I'm not sure how much of it is the bird vs. the environment. I'm going to try in a larger room soon.

Here are my questions, please feel free to tell me to search again if there's an obvious answer in the thread that I have missed:

1. The left servo seems to twitch while the bird is on the ground idle. If I move the right stick ever so slightly to the right, it seems to stop, but sometimes it doesn't. If I extend the right stick to a max point, it also seems to stop intermittently, but the servo moves the arm as expected. When I turn off the TX, but leave the bird on, it consistently stops. I saw some references to what I think is this twitch in the thread, but I haven't seen a solution yet. Any thoughts on if it's normal? If not, is it probably something in the TX or on the RX board/servo? Should I return it for a replacement since I just got it?

2. I remember one or more posts regarding adjusting the arms for beginner/indoor flight, but can't find them now. I'll be flying indoors in small rooms (no gyms) for the foreseeable future, so slow and steady is probably the way to go for now. Can someone give me a link to one of these posts and/or wiki entries?

Thanks for all of the info, it's been an entertaining and informative thread. I think I've caught the bug

- Lawrence
The servo hesitation you noted in 1) is not normal, but not uncommon. I had something similar on a wl toys v911.

wl toys v911 demonstration of servo hesitation (0 min 55 sec)
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:07 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbusa05 View Post
Someone should be getting and posting their impressions of the latest H911 version on here soon. I'm waiting to see if there are any differences to the V3 V911 before I order one. ARGGHHH....................my wife is gonna kill me if I don't stop ordering these things, talk about being a heli addict, that would be me!
If you look back a couple of pages, e2 did a cool little video review on it
tiggertoo1962 is offline Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:27 AM
Joined Dec 2012
188 Posts
http://www.helipal.com/wl-v912-max-mini-helicopter.html
R.sok is offline Find More Posts by R.sok
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:28 AM
Joined Dec 2012
17 Posts
I purchased my first heli and it arrived today. I went with the helizone lightning bird and it has a bad tail motor out of the box. To send it back I'm looking at about 3 weeks before I see a replacement or I can buy a new motor and repair it myself. Reading this thread I see they break often anyway so I'm looking for advice since I'm new to all of this. Should I repair it myself? How hard of a repair is it? I appreciate any insight you can offer.
Smchugh is offline Find More Posts by Smchugh
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:09 AM
Joined Apr 2012
65 Posts
i just noticed on my tx it dont say wl toys next to the lcd or on the silver bit in the middle.

I have a black new plug version, whats the deal with that?, every video i watch on youtube has the wl toys logo on the tx.
coaldust is offline Find More Posts by coaldust
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:28 AM
Joined Apr 2012
139 Posts
its a clone.
PhilMcCracken is offline Find More Posts by PhilMcCracken
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:15 AM
Joined Dec 2012
56 Posts
that looks like a really nice bird....
Jasonamorris6 is offline Find More Posts by Jasonamorris6
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:19 AM
Joined Apr 2012
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilMcCracken View Post
its a clone.

So whats the difference? apart from that its spot on.
coaldust is offline Find More Posts by coaldust
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:36 AM
Joined Apr 2012
139 Posts
quality, clones are usually made from copied parts where as WL Toys design and make helos from scratch.
PhilMcCracken is offline Find More Posts by PhilMcCracken
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:31 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,782 Posts
Cool heli for a decent price R.sok, but p & p takes it up to just over 100 bucks - if you live in the US - and to over 110 bucks for me (Germany).

Here's the same heli for just over 90 USD with free shipping, and they're a very reliable company.

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-La...f-p-54568.html

Just seen that the extra main & tail rotors would cost you an extra 2.50 at BG, and it doesn't say that a charger is included... have to check with BG about that & get back to you.
tiggertoo1962 is offline Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings