Old Nov 30, 2011, 01:24 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
Discussion
PLD-SIMON1: Servo Intelligent MONitor, watches for brownouts and pulse loss

This is just an experimental little thing I thought I'd have a shot at after talking with a person today who lost a plane and we cannot work out where to start looking for the fault (was it the RX...how about the regulator... or something else?).

So the PLD-SIMON monitors the servo line for losses of pulses (RX failure) or brownouts (below 3.3V). It might not work, I don't know - but it can't hurt to give it a shot.

The PCB will be only slightly longer (by about 2mm ) than the SFUSE boards.

Paul.
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:30 PM
KJ4WFG
upstate SC
Joined Dec 2007
557 Posts
I'm a Futaba guy, but the IMAC flyers in our club with JR Tx/Rx are using an airborne gadget that logs lost data packets. I assume that you're familiar with it, and aren't duplicating effort (?). I like the sound of what you're doing. Just want to insure you're familiar with what's already out there.

You're blazing a trail into this "prevent in flight failures" thing. Love it. Lots of need here.
modbuilder is offline Find More Posts by modbuilder
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:34 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
There's certainly a level of duplication going on - this is more for people with stuff that doesn't log missing links or brownouts, eg, FM/PPM gear etc.

In a lot of ways, it's for my own fun as well this one.
Old Dec 07, 2011, 10:40 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
Boards are now shipping via China post... usually 2 weeks.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:20 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
Boards just arrived... might be a few days at least before I get to building this unit - other things ahead in the queue.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:06 PM
KJ4WFG
upstate SC
Joined Dec 2007
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLD View Post
So the PLD-SIMON monitors the servo line for losses of pulses (RX failure) or brownouts (below 3.3V). .
Hmmm..... Wonder how giant a leap it would be to combine SIMON and SLOGGER functions. SISLOGGER? SIMLOGGER? LOGGERMON?
modbuilder is offline Find More Posts by modbuilder
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:56 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
Put a LCD on it and provide a full spectral analysis

Actually, what I'd find to be a good addition is a real-time clock, that runs even when it's not powered up - makes things very easy then to determine if you've had a brownout/glitch as opposed to a normal power-off situation.