HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2011, 09:31 AM
Cincinnati OH
Joined May 2007
491 Posts
F-8 Crusader

Congrats on the successful maiden!!! Glad to see it all worked out for you!!

Sarge
Sgt Dudley is offline Find More Posts by Sgt Dudley
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2011, 11:21 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,394 Posts
Yup. Congrats and great job. The full floating elevator is a good mod for this plane. It takes out the tendency to pitch up, stall and flat spin. The F-8 conversion outline has got to look sweet in the air. makes me want to build a SLUF and make some appropriate changes in cluding the full floaters.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Dec 05, 2011, 10:12 PM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
Thanks, gents...and thanks to bighead for the effort on the controls.

Just finished the new set up, full flying elev and small ailerons. CA wicking tubes, sold by the foot and thin music wire for ultra lightweight pushrods. Also, the flaps are adjustable and we're going set them at 30% on one of the next test flights to see if that will help smooth things out too.

The new system shaved 3 grams off the old...401 to 398, yea! Now some details are in order...pilot, ventral fins, paint, etc. One thing, I'll add the wing weapons pylon for extra fin area, detail with a purpose, win-win, as are the ventral fins. All this is only a few grams, but how cool would a wing incidence servo be...I figure about 7-10 grams...after this next round of tests, maybe...gotta see the red...

Joe
redlite is offline Find More Posts by redlite
Old Dec 05, 2011, 11:54 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,550 Posts
Amazing job on the mods! Counting the days until the weekend!
bighead93 is online now Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2011, 10:48 AM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
A pilot was found in the spares box and a jump seat was made from bits of foam and wire. A instrument panel was found on the net and printed out. Altogether it weighs less than 2 grams.

Joe
Last edited by redlite; Dec 08, 2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:09 PM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
The new control setup works much better and we're getting closer to fly-ability. The elevator needs more tweaking and I may open a cheater on the bottom, more for just curiosity. I couldn't resist some markings from Callie Graphics to correct up some of the errors on the finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
The F-8 conversion outline has got to look sweet in the air. makes me want to build a SLUF and make some appropriate changes in cluding the full floaters.
Absolutely a rare sight in RC planes...F-8 Crusader. George Miller lives nearby and I've seen some of his incredible work...he offered a large glass/wood F-8 many years ago and his molds are owned by the same guy who bought Byron. I don't think there is any activity with any of these molds by the new owner...shame.

The F-8 from J-Power is not a bad A-7, especially after the fuse cuts. You'd have to get rid of the F-8 paint job and the 4 heavy servos, then something along the lines of our control system (two micro servos) installed. I bet it would be much more tame and lighter than factory specs. BTW, lighter fluid causes an instant release of the glue holding the servos, without messing up the paint.

Joe
Old Jan 03, 2012, 05:20 PM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
Some progress...
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:11 AM
United States, AR, Jacksonville
Joined Jul 2004
388 Posts
Any updates?

I have one of these I'm working on and am anxious to hear how yours flies!
Whiskey Whiskey is offline Find More Posts by Whiskey Whiskey
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:52 PM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
It's ready to go...weather or something else, you know how it is...four flights only still...hard to launch, not so tough once on step...

Are you extending yours too? Pics, if you don't mind...

Whiskey..Jacksonville...moonlight...some kind of familiar pattern I can't seem to put my finger on...

Joe
Old Feb 15, 2012, 08:49 PM
Joined Dec 2010
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlite View Post
Some progress...
Wow that looks awsome! Great job on detailing a small plane.
FoamieFlier is offline Find More Posts by FoamieFlier
Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:58 PM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
Thanks FF!
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:16 PM
United States, AR, Jacksonville
Joined Jul 2004
388 Posts
Yeah, I don't blame you on being nervous about the maiden.

I'm still deciding wether to extend the front end. I haven't done much, so there's not much to show. I've put an initial layer of fiberglass and CA on the intake lip and done some paint stripping.

I plan to replace the stock power system with a WeMotec/Don's RC Wicked 6,000 Kv combo.
Whiskey Whiskey is offline Find More Posts by Whiskey Whiskey
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:21 AM
AMA 743519 Team Heliproz Pilot
United States, WA, Granite Falls
Joined Mar 2006
1,143 Posts
i bought one of these (2 actually one gave to buddie) at the last hobby show here in wa. i have read your thread and i am going to emulate what you have done. it looks like it will work well. im keeping mine as an a7. im going to measure the elevators incedense to see if its off. but plan to make them full flying like you did anyway. planning on getting dons wicked edf setup for this so it will fly well. thanks for all your tips. i have this page bookmarked for reference.
drakonis is offline Find More Posts by drakonis
Old Mar 11, 2012, 09:33 PM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
Hey drak...

By keeping it as an A7 will make the project a bit more fun...and it will fly a bit easier too. And putting Don's gear in, now you have a viable model. Taking out the kit servos and control layout and doing something along the two servo layout will help in weight control. Keeping the weight down is key to this model.

If you and Whiskey don't mind, I'd like to see some shots of your projects when available.

Joe