HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by boredom.is.me, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 08, 2011, 04:45 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,758 Posts
Yes, I see the point about the modified weights. I think the three most useful sizes of HobbyKing servo ought to be on there though. Maybe I'm just being impatient We now have weights for the HK1300, HK5320 and HK282A... I have some HK282 (not 282A) so I could weigh those, but probably not accurately enough to tell the two types apart.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2011, 05:07 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,758 Posts
I've got interested in brushed 1s setups again, mostly because I get better duration on my UM Su-26 biplane conversion, on a 130mAh cell, and my UM 4-Site on a 240mAh Hyperion G3 cell (both with a GWS 5x3) than I do with my brushless Falcon Models Stampe, also on a 240mAh Hyperion G3 cell (around 42g AUW, 4600Kv 5g motor and a GWS 4025).

I was trying to find more about the Parkzone UM geared motors and I found this very useful post by Phil Alvirez, in another thread, which I think is relevant here. We already have the weights, but the other details are useful to anyone choosing a motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
there are 2 motors in this series of ultra-micro (um), that include the sukhoi, p51, 4site, champ, t28, and who knows what is next from horizon. both are 8.5 mm diameter and weigh 4.9 grams without the gear box, or 6 with it.

the original, p/n PKZ3516, that comes with the 1st (white) sukhoi is easily identified by the clear plastic end bell (at the rear), and the other 1 (that is used on the new xp sukhoi/p51/4site), p/n PKZUM1016, has a black plastic end bell.

both use the same pinion/gear box. the pinion is 3.3mm dia, with 9 teeth, and the gear is 9mm dia with 36 teeth. this makes a 4:1 gear ratio.
the clear end bell motor that came with the suk had a larger, 1.73 gr feather-like prop, the 160/70 (6.3"), whilst the new black end bell motor comes with a 1.03 gr 130/70 (5.1") square tip prop
Last edited by Andy2No; Dec 11, 2011 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Corrected the teeth count and ratio
Old Dec 10, 2011, 09:06 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,571 Posts
Andy

I've found that small brushless motors are often no more efficient than brushed motors , especially when one adds the extra weight of the brushless ESC.

BTW bipe sukhoi now sortehd and flying well

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Dec 10, 2011, 09:15 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,758 Posts
I agree, Terry. I think it's a voltage and Kv thing. Most brushless motors don't hit their stride on much less than a 2s lipo. The really high Kv ones, with a gearbox, are a better bet for efficiency on 1s.

I'm glad you got the sukhoi bipe working. Getting the throws and CG right are mostly what it takes.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 08:46 AM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
4,773 Posts
post 32

Andy: when reading your post 32, i had something telling me to go check figures, and so i did. after checking the number of teeth on the spur gear of the horizon's gearbox, it is 36, not 33 as i mentioned there. and the ratio is 4:1. please go back to the thread-i already corrected it. sorry for the mess, but better provide correct figures than hide and hope that nobody notices.
and thank you for your comment on the issue.
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:25 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,758 Posts
Thanks, Phil. I should have kept reading I've edited my last post to give the correct figures in the quote, even though that's cheating slightly.

EDIT: I see what you mean, now. I thought you meant there was a later post that corrected that one.

I've ordered a UM P51 motor and gearbox. I'll probably put it in my Blue Fox, so it will more or less be an outsized 4-Site. I still haven't decided between a DT Rx33 with all separate servos, or an AR6400 and one rotary, or two linear servos. The good thing about a rotary servo is that you can drive both ailerons without a bell crank, but the small saving in weight over using two HK1300 linear servos might not be worth it. I tried setting differential on my 4-Site today, and I think I like it that way - much easier to do with independant aileron servos, of course.
Last edited by Andy2No; Dec 11, 2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:47 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,496 Posts
It would be really funny when someone asks how much something weighs, a week from now when this thread drops... It's going to happen.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Dec 11, 2011, 01:03 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
gws props:
HK 2g (p/n 282A): 2.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
SuperMicro Systems Mi-LSM1300 linear servo (HK 1300)
1.34g each (with cable and JST-SH plug for AR6400 / DT Rx33, as sold)
Care to add those to the table, boredom.is.me?

I think this thread will be a valuable resource for a long time to come. Sure, we'll soon have the weights of most things that are relevant, so it won't need new posts very often, but people will still keep coming back to it. I know I will.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 01:07 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
Care to add those to the table, boredom.is.me?

I think this thread will be a valuable resource for a long time to come. Sure, we'll soon have the weights of most things that are relevant, so it won't need new posts very often, but people will still keep coming back to it. I know I will.
Kool thanks, I missed those.

You guys want to establish a max weight for the various components?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2011, 01:35 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Also, post #28, the GPS-8 Brushed motor isn't on the list, yet.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Dec 11, 2011, 01:48 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,496 Posts
Updated

New section - Gearboxes
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2011, 02:03 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,758 Posts
Good. Thanks. Gearboxes are the way to go, I think.

I notice you already had a section for gearboxes in post 2 - not meaning to be picky I take it some are with motor, and some are without... How about a section for each? I.e. one for gearboxes on their own, and one for complete geared motors?

I may have a couple that aren't on that list. I'll look through my boxes tomorrow.

I guess the maximum weight of components depends a lot on the model being built. For indoor models, you could go to quite big wingspans and still use micro components, because at low speeds, the force on the control surfaces doesn't need to be very high, and you don't necessarily need much power or weight of motor.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 02:06 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,496 Posts
Yeah, one is ready to go and the other is no motor.

My bad for the unclarity. I fixed it though..
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2011, 02:27 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,758 Posts
Cool. Thanks. Some of the ones I was thinking of are on this list:

http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/...r.html#gearbox

(all are Plantraco)

Quote:
GB03 motor/gearbox

6mm 4.5ohm motor + gearbox. 5.25:1 gear ratio - 0.25 mod gears, 1mm shaft. Long motor leads 6cm and terminated with .05 pin connector .. 2.29 grams total weight.

GB04 motor/gearbox

6mm 4ohm motor + gearbox. 5.78:1 gear ratio - 0.25 mod gears, 1mm shaft. Terminated with .05 pin connector.. 2.6 g total weight.

Plantraco GB05 Motor/Gearbox

4mm 13 ohm motor + 5:1 gearbox with 0.2 mod gears... 0.86 grams excluding prop adapter and prop. GB05 includes a prop adapter but no prop.

Plantraco GB07 Motor/Gearbox

7mm 1.7 ohm motor + 5:1 gearbox... Weight with motor is 3.82 grams excluding prop adapter and prop.
I have the GB07, and maybe a couple of the others but I'm sure those weights are reliable, and more accurate than my scales could manage.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 02:43 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
2,305 Posts
Plantracto 3CH BaHoMa actuator receiver with ESC 0,85 gr.
RNAF is offline Find More Posts by RNAF
RCG Plus Member