SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 29, 2011, 03:42 PM
Australia...we live inverted.
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
Question
Will a genius canopy (one piece new version) physically fit on an MCPx?

Those of you that have both an MCpx and a Genius...

Will a genius canopy (one piece new version) physically fit on an MCPx?

Don't mind relocating the canopy grommets, trimming the lipo area etc. Don't want to be trimming for link clearance or clearance of the board though.

Physically are they close enough in size that I could make one look OEM on an MCpx?

Thanks

Amp
Ampdraw is offline Find More Posts by Ampdraw
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:39 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,431 Posts
I don't know what the difference in Genius canopies is, but the Genius canopy that I have will fit on a mCPX.

The best position for it leaves the battery holder exposed, external to the canopy underneath the canopy.

New mounting holes will be necessary.

Looks great!
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney
Last edited by Martyn McKinney; Nov 29, 2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2011, 06:52 AM
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn McKinney View Post
I don't know what the difference in Genius canopies is, but the Genius canopy that I have will fit on a mCPX.

The best position for it leaves the battery holder exposed, external to the canopy underneath the canopy.

New mounting holes will be necessary.

Looks great!
Thank you.

I trial fit a 4g3 canopy and like the look. Imagine the genius is much the same size. From what I've researched the new one piece "crushable" one is approx 2g wheras the original mcpx is 2.8 or so.

Amp
Old Dec 01, 2011, 03:46 PM
United Kingdom, England, Manchester
Joined Nov 2011
109 Posts
Amp

You could always pick up some of my custom made one piece MCPX canopies. They are much better than stock (lighter, stronger etc) - rcdesigns.co.uk
I've posted to AUS before with success.
rcdesigns is offline Find More Posts by rcdesigns
Old Dec 01, 2011, 03:58 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdesigns View Post
Amp

You could always pick up some of my custom made one piece MCPX canopies. They are much better than stock (lighter, stronger etc) - rcdesigns.co.uk
I've posted to AUS before with success.
No offense but it looks like you need to smooth out your mold some more before doing your pulls. If your pulls continue to have little ripples and swirls pulling PETG you might be doing it at too high of a temperature if you plug is perfectly smooth. Great job though, I like to see more single piece custom canopies out there
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Dec 01, 2011, 04:04 PM
Joined Nov 2011
109 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I take it you are referring to the MSR canopies - they do look a little dodgy in that photo. I have since smoothed out the mould some more.
I think I'd best update the photo to a newer one.

If you look at the photo of the clear MCPX you will see it is nice and smooth except around the bits that get cut out.
Old Dec 01, 2011, 04:17 PM
Joined Nov 2011
109 Posts
OK,
I've updated the photo of the clear MSR canopy to a newer one. Check it out for smoothness.

I pulled a thicker sheet over the plaster mould and then sanded that to form a new stable and smooth mould.

Thanks for the tip about the heat. I'll have to keep my eye on the temperatures.
Old Dec 01, 2011, 04:18 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
The msr canopies have it more but the mcpx seem to have it as seen in your painted photos. You can easily see it on the windshield area. As I said if you smoothed out the mold it is probably too high or too long of heat or maybe even not enough pre-stretch before vacuum.

My appologies Amp for side tracking your thread
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Dec 12, 2011, 04:16 PM
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
Genius canopy is lighter than the Mcpx.
Stock 2.56g
Genius one piece 2.41

Still run the stock on my HP08 Sr120 tail but on the "little bugger" I quite like the look of the Genius.

AUW of this heli with the C05m 8T, Xp7a, Walkera 4g3 tail motor, heavily modified SR120 tail blade, solid boom and heatshrink, Astroid designs frame support and 7mm tail case and fin (really nice products), Genius canopy and no lipo = 37.21g

Amp