Old Nov 29, 2011, 01:14 PM
Builders Cult Member
Montreal, Qc
Joined Jan 2007
242 Posts
Build Log
Top-flite Stinson SR-9 -> or SR-8???

Hi!

I've been dreaming about that plane for long enough, at last I will be building it. I've always liked the Gullwing silhouette, to me it has...I don' know, class maybe? That's what I think of a lot of the airplanes of the era anyway.

So the kit has arrived last September, after I won the club's funfly 50/50. I have been disciplined, I did not open the box until last week when I had visitors who insisted on seeing the contents...

It wasn't opened before because of my other build, an A-10 Thunderbolt (sport scale) from RCM. I want to finish it before stepping into the Stinson build.

I should be finished with the Warthog by Christmas and the goal is to start on the Stinson during the Holydays. To keep the pressure on (I know...it's a HOOOOBBBBBYYYYY, but it's my goal anyway to finish the A-10) I decided to start posting about the Stinson already.

This is my first build log on the groups (or in any forum). For this reason, but also because I'm French speaking (English is my second language), I'm asking for your indulgence.

I know that all of you will provide help and experience!

Thanks in advance!

Without further ado...
mamethot is offline Find More Posts by mamethot
Last edited by mamethot; Nov 29, 2011 at 04:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2011, 01:15 PM
Builders Cult Member
Montreal, Qc
Joined Jan 2007
242 Posts
Project Info

I'll try to keep this project's general info updated here.

Kit:
From Top Flite: http://www.top-flite.com/airplanes/topa0310.html

Power plant:
Not decided yet.

Radio:
To this day, I've been using Futaba FM and/or 2.4 gear, but I have been looking at other options too.

Features:
Flaps: Yes
Nav Lights: Yes
Remotely controled kill switch: Yes
Cockpit interior: Yes

Version and color scheme:
The kit is a SR-9 model but I have been leaning toward the SR-8C version for a while. I like how the cowling looks. Other than that I am not sure what the differences, in terms of appearance, are.

This will change a hundred time during a build...the flavor of the day is:
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Stins...51524f9a663601
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Stins...51524f9a663601

Options:
I have bought/intend to buy these third party parts for this build:

Bought:
Fiberglass cowling TF-22, wheel pants #111, Cockpit top TF-22A
http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/

One piece Landing gear LG6-490A
http://www.tntlandinggear.com/

Intended:
Programmable Nav Lights
http://www.dimensionengineering.com/...tarterKit.html
Last edited by mamethot; Nov 29, 2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 01:45 PM
Builders Cult Member
Montreal, Qc
Joined Jan 2007
242 Posts
Stinson Reliant

Reserved.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 04:46 PM
Builders Cult Member
Montreal, Qc
Joined Jan 2007
242 Posts
Power plant

I have been thinking about it and have read enough information about gas engines, glow engines, 2 stroke, 4 stroke and electric to come to this conclusion: Everybody has his own preference in terms of brand and size. It's kind of a religious thing ;-)

So after reading a lot and talking a lot to folks in my club, I will have to make a decision. I have narrowed it down to a few candidates so far. Let me try to explain which and why.

1- Zenoah 38
Good reputation, tried and true, lots of support from fellow modelers at the club. 325$ There is also a possibility of adding an electric starter and that is very appealing to me.

2- RCGF 40cc twin
This one is a shot in the dark. I haven't seen any review or Youtube video of this particular model so far. But I like twin engines. I like the placement of the carb (on top). Announced at 460$ on this side of the border.

3- DLE 30
The brand seems to have a good fan base and satisfied customers. Seems to be appreciated for its power. 320$

And there are the others. I have a strong preference for 4 stroke engines but the gassers are waaaaay too expensive. If money was not a factor, I'd probably look for a radial.

Finally the electrics. I just don't have any experience. If I were to be lucky enough to have someone post an estimate of what's needed (hint! hint!) and the costs were similar to the twin engine, I'd be interested to take a look. However at this time I'll don't have the appeal for silence...
Old Nov 30, 2011, 07:07 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,554 Posts
You should enjoy this build !

The Top Flight kit is a good one, and the built model flies extremely well..

A friend has one, powered by a G-38. I've flown it, and I really like it. The G-38 would be my suggestion for power.

The version that you have selected, is an SR-8. Your kit is an SR-9, so the windshield area will need modification, if you decide you want to go that far. Most people will never notice the difference, however.

Your chosen lighting system looks interesting. I have never seen one in person. I've been using a light system from Electro Dynamics, which works vary well, although it is more expensive than yours. http://www.electrodynam.com/rc/EDR-117/index.shtml

I hope that you enjoy this build. The Stinson SR is a beautiful aircraft. I will eagerly follow your progress.

This is my SR-8, built from an IKON kit.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Nov 30, 2011, 08:52 AM
Joined Jan 2011
7 Posts
Bonjour Mamethot,
Since you have already purchased a one-piece landing gear, I assume you're read all the FAQ on the Stintson web page.
Here's a quote I copied from one of the builders:
"Strengthen the gear
Well it's well documented in this topic that the gear area is weak at best, the design of a two piece gear along with the way it is tied into the structure, for the weight of the plane is not functional for anything other than static display. The first landing showed me that. So a one piece gear or a tie in between the two is the way to go. Also the structure needs more surface attach area to the fuselage than print calls for. I put blocks on the forward and aft sides of the gear mounting plate and reinforced them with fiberglass cloth. The additional weight was nominal for the return. I see you went with the tire rubber around the strut fairing to gear fairing. That also cracks out if the gap is not big enough to take the flex of the gear. Depending on how you glued the windshields to the struts is an issue for me. The paint cracked due to flex in that area. The real aircraft has fairings that cover the seams. while I noticed they were still glued, the appearance was lacking so I plan to cut some plastic strips from the stuff that came with the kit to go over these areas."

Hope that helps.

I too am going to build this airplane. Have had one in my shop for several years. The G-38 is a beautiful engine for this project, although I'm going to use a 160 twin for mine, which is presently in a staggerwing.
I'll enjoy your build thread along with you.
Texas Mic
texasmic is offline Find More Posts by texasmic
Old Nov 30, 2011, 09:18 AM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,440 Posts
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:16 AM
Joined Apr 2004
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmic View Post
Bonjour Mamethot,
Since you have already purchased a one-piece landing gear, I assume you're read all the FAQ on the Stintson web page.
Here's a quote I copied from one of the builders:
"Strengthen the gear
Well it's well documented in this topic that the gear area is weak at best, the design of a two piece gear along with the way it is tied into the structure, for the weight of the plane is not functional for anything other than static display. The first landing showed me that. So a one piece gear or a tie in between the two is the way to go. Also the structure needs more surface attach area to the fuselage than print calls for. I put blocks on the forward and aft sides of the gear mounting plate and reinforced them with fiberglass cloth. The additional weight was nominal for the return. I see you went with the tire rubber around the strut fairing to gear fairing. That also cracks out if the gap is not big enough to take the flex of the gear. Depending on how you glued the windshields to the struts is an issue for me. The paint cracked due to flex in that area. The real aircraft has fairings that cover the seams. while I noticed they were still glued, the appearance was lacking so I plan to cut some plastic strips from the stuff that came with the kit to go over these areas."

Hope that helps.

I too am going to build this airplane. Have had one in my shop for several years. The G-38 is a beautiful engine for this project, although I'm going to use a 160 twin for mine, which is presently in a staggerwing.
I'll enjoy your build thread along with you.
Texas Mic
That's interesting news about the landing gear, I'm currently in the middle of this same build. Just about at the stage of installing the gear struts. I'll make these mods before going forward. Thanks for the info.

Dennis
dpannell is offline Find More Posts by dpannell
Old Dec 01, 2011, 11:32 AM
Joined Jan 2011
7 Posts
Mamethot & David,
Check out this build threat for additional info on the Stintson:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_64...tm.htm#6417717
If this link doesn't work (I've been having trouble with their website), you may have to go to the base address and search for TopFlite Stinson build
texasmic is offline Find More Posts by texasmic
Old Dec 02, 2011, 11:56 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,312 Posts
check out this build http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/membe...=344567&page=7 I still have a ways to go but it's close to the end.
splinterz25 is online now Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Dec 04, 2011, 09:08 AM
Washburn,ME
Joined Jul 2008
60 Posts
I agree with Tom on the G-38 but I have a DLE-30 in mine and it flies just fine with it. If you don't want the hassles of electronic ignitions, extra batteries,and extra switches I'd go with the G-38. It will be a heavier engine so plan for it. Good luck on the build.
Frank
smithfj is offline Find More Posts by smithfj
Old Dec 04, 2011, 10:24 AM
Builders Cult Member
Montreal, Qc
Joined Jan 2007
242 Posts
splinterz25 yup I saw it the other day, I even commented on it. Very nice.

smithfj thanks for your input! It certainly looks like it'll be a G38. with either a FEMA onboard starter or a spring starter. But before I take the final decision, I want to read this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964999

Thanks all.
Old Dec 04, 2011, 10:37 AM
Builders Cult Member
Montreal, Qc
Joined Jan 2007
242 Posts
Do I read properly? 38oz for the DLE vs 70oz for the Zenoah?
Old Dec 04, 2011, 01:18 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamethot View Post
Do I read properly? 38oz for the DLE vs 70oz for the Zenoah?
yes you read it right 71 oz for the zenoah that's why I went w/ the DLE-30 it fits in the cowl better also.

Bruce
splinterz25 is online now Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Dec 05, 2011, 06:44 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,554 Posts
Bruce. How did your Stinson balance, with the lighter engine ?
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump