HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2011, 08:42 PM
United States, SC, Clover
Joined Sep 2004
199 Posts
Build Log
CNC Router Table - Carolina build

I have been wanting to start a build log for my CNC table for some time now.
I had a friend and partner in the table come over lastnight to help me and he said people have been asking him how the build was going.

We are putting together a Joe's CNC 4X4 R&P table.

I am going with a steel frame. I had it welded out of 2x2 squire tubing. Good to have friends that can weld.

Now that we have the frame done I am working on the Gantry parts.

I got the parts cut by someone that has a CNC table. Very nice job by the way. They fit very tight just what one would like.

Here are just a few pic on my progress.

Russ
Merk is offline Find More Posts by Merk
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:44 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,627 Posts
Nice to see it coming together Russ. That looks like the rack and pinion version.

Have you picked a CAD and CAM package? I purchased ViaCAD Pro and contemplating the machine yet. I'm thinking a modified Finelineautomation FLA-100.
szastoupil is offline Find More Posts by szastoupil
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:25 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,521 Posts
Looks good. I wish I had the space for a machine like that, and resources to get something welded... For those reasons I went with a PhlatPrinter as it takes up very little shop real estate, and no welding required.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Nov 29, 2011, 09:00 AM
Joined Sep 2004
199 Posts
szastoupil - yes, It is the R&P version. I think I will go with AutoCAD for the CAD software or maybe Invertor don't know yet. I will look into ViaCAD.

rcav8r2 - I went this big so we could do plane molds out of corian. I also want to try and make some of my investment back.

Yes, It is big but I have read a lot of forms and people that have built this machine wish they would have build it bigger.

Yes this is a big under taking but I think it will be fun.

It is starting to get to be winter so the flying will slow down and the shop time will increase. ( I hope)

Russ
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:35 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merk View Post
Yes, It is big but I have read a lot of forms and people that have built this machine wish they would have build it bigger.

Yes this is a big under taking but I think it will be fun.

Russ
I hear ya on the bigger thing, but I just don't have the space. I saw a REALLY nice machine at Toledo a few years back. The price was GREAT too, but it would have taken one whole stall of a garage.... I'm tight on shop space with my 41"x 15" Phlatprinter. I made a cart on wheels for it, and wheel it out of the way when not in use.

You'll have it finished before you know it, then the real fun will begin.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:33 PM
Jeff Carr
Ft. Mill SC / Charlotte NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,704 Posts
Yes its big but its at Russes house . We did a little assembly on Sunday nite. Its good having 2 people working together getting this together as some of the pieces were very tight. Tight enough washers and bolts went flying. Tolerences are tight.

I can tell you Bob Whitney did the welding. Before his present job he was a welder. 10-15 years experince here. So Russ has good help with the project because of Bob. He also helped us get some of the metal we need. His welding is really good. He even painted it for us.

So as of this picture we have all the steppers power supply wiring bearings and some other stuff.

Me being a dumbSSA sometimes screwed up some of the gantry pieces. I used gorilla glue to hold them together and glued 2 of them backwards. I even double checked and still screwed it up. They look nice with 6 coats of paint on them but they wont work....... So I put us behind a little. Waiting on the concertric and ecentric bushings still. 3 weeks and counting for them.

Russ is the driving force behind this and is doing a great job keeping it going. Its fun working with guys that have a purpose

Jeff
Goinav8n is offline Find More Posts by Goinav8n
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:46 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,504 Posts
Nice to see this capability growing, and in the Carolina's no less!

AutoCAD is great for 2D but not needed for that purpose as Dassualt's Draftsight provides the same functionality at a much nicer price-free!

I would not touch AutoCAD with a pole of infinite length for 3D work, aka wing mold design. It is far, far too easy to make mistakes and too hard to reverse them. Inventor is much better in this regard.

What I am not sure of is the power of Inventor and ViaCAD to generate mold designs and other advanced features. Rhino seems to be the preferred product for these uses. I do my design work in Solidworks but I have access to those licenses and know the tool in and out.
samc99us is online now Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Nov 29, 2011, 01:52 PM
Joined Sep 2004
199 Posts
Sam,
I did look at Solidworks and Rhino but just didn't have the budget for that software.

Jeff,
Yes you and Bob are a great help and great partners in this venture.

Yes you put us a little behind but we all make mistakes. Let's learn form it and move on.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 05:22 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,504 Posts
Agreed, those software packages are too expensive for the garage guys!
Old Nov 29, 2011, 07:50 PM
Joined Sep 2004
199 Posts
More Parts

Here is one the Gantry parts.
Just a little yellow right?
Old Dec 03, 2011, 08:41 AM
Jeff Carr
Ft. Mill SC / Charlotte NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,704 Posts
We worked on the CNC for about 3 hours last nite. Hopefully russ will post some pics. We did a lot but it doesnt look like much. Cutting metal and screwing parts together takes time. It is fun though

Jeff
Goinav8n is offline Find More Posts by Goinav8n
Old Dec 03, 2011, 04:22 PM
Joined Sep 2004
199 Posts
Jeff came over they other night and we got some more done on the table.

We got some more angle iron on the aluminum rails. Boy there is a lot of drilling.

Russ
Old Dec 03, 2011, 04:31 PM
Metallica
Londonderry UK
Joined Nov 2004
417 Posts
Looking great lads
robe_uk is offline Find More Posts by robe_uk
Old Dec 03, 2011, 11:00 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,504 Posts
Looking great guys!
Old Dec 04, 2011, 07:21 PM
San Diego
Joined Mar 2003
2,317 Posts
Looking good guys! As far as wing design, you might want to look at what Profili Pro will do. You can create a simple elliptical planform mold or Plug .STL file in minutes.
Ward Hagaman is online now Find More Posts by Ward Hagaman