HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:07 AM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,910 Posts
The price of this plane has really gone up, correct? I seem to remember it was just over $100 when it first came out.
JoeR is offline Find More Posts by JoeR
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:26 AM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,140 Posts
It was $129 for the ARF when it first came out (Red one, the white one was $149) Since than it's been going up and down depending on what sales are going on LOL.

It's like if they have a 10% off sale, they jack up the price 10% so you end up paying around the same as when sales are not on.
queadlunnrau is online now Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:54 AM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queadlunnrau View Post
It was $129 for the ARF when it first came out (Red one, the white one was $149) Since than it's been going up and down depending on what sales are going on LOL.

It's like if they have a 10% off sale, they jack up the price 10% so you end up paying around the same as when sales are not on.
Okay, my memory must be faulty then. I thought I saw it for just over $100 at some point.

I've been thinking about this model to replace a Multiplex Parkmaster 3d. Trying to resist as flying season is coming to a close in a month or so. Who knows what will be out next year, but I do like this one.
JoeR is offline Find More Posts by JoeR
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:33 PM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeR View Post
I've been thinking about this model to replace a Multiplex Parkmaster 3d. Trying to resist as flying season is coming to a close in a month or so. Who knows what will be out next year, but I do like this one.
Not sure if the Pitts is a good replacement for your Multiplex Parkmaster 3d, seems like the Tech-One Katana would be a more like replacement for your Multiplex Parkmaster 3d.

But if you want a scale bi-plane that flies awesome, than look no further and do not wait on getting this bird. Everytime I fly mine it just keeps putting a smile back on my face.
queadlunnrau is online now Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:18 PM
Team Broke
Orlando/ Winter Garden, FL
Joined Feb 2003
5,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4yn View Post
I see a lot of owners have changed this to carbon rod.
Were there failures or just being cautious?
Mine is about ready to maiden, did most of the other mods and a few others.
Did not want to chance damaging wing taking rod out if not necessary.
I am not an agressive flyer.

Tim
The spar will be fine for you and all of the models.
I am just replacing it for weight savings.
I had the CF here, so why not.

I love the building, modifying, tinkering part of this hobby as much as the flying !

Jim
fishdeth is offline Find More Posts by fishdeth
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:21 PM
Team Broke
Joined Feb 2003
5,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queadlunnrau View Post
But if you want a scale bi-plane that flies awesome, than look no further and do not wait on getting this bird. Everytime I fly mine it just keeps putting a smile back on my face.
Waiting on my receiver and satellite then I can get that smile as well !
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:32 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,124 Posts
I think you're gonna like this plane. What size battery are you planning on running? Like to hear your final AUW also. I may have to borrow some of you weight saving mods. I really like your struts. I couldn't believe how heavy the stockers felt. Are you saying you netted a 20 gram loss with the new carbon fiber spar? I never would've imagined it was that heavy to start with.
krexken is online now Find More Posts by krexken
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:42 PM
Team Broke
Joined Feb 2003
5,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krexken View Post
I think you're gonna like this plane. What size battery are you planning on running?
I am gonna probably maiden with a 3 cell 2200 pack, but will most likely pick up a couple 4 cell packs to increase RPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krexken View Post
Are you saying you netted a 20 gram loss with the new carbon fiber spar? I never would've imagined it was that heavy to start with.
Yes.
Cant figure how they got the other one in the top & bottom wing.
Would LOVE to replace all 3.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:22 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,296 Posts
I paid $104 for mine and I believe a coupon code was necessary to get it for the cheap. Even before my numerous mods to make it fly "better", it has been a great plane for that kind of money. Mine is down for the moment. I robbbed the HS-65s and the reciever for a new plane. I should go fix it up for some weekend fun.
SD One. is online now Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:37 PM
United States, UT, Saratoga Springs
Joined Mar 2010
452 Posts
**MAIDEN REPORT**

So I actually did a search on this thread for how many times the word "love" is mentioned. (Yes, cheesy but I felt it needed to be done) Turns out it is mentioned 98 times in 97 pages. Now I understand why, I love this plane. (99,100)

I went to maiden last night but it was too windy for my liking. By noon today I was reading the thread and trying to find any excuse to leave work and go flying. By 1pm I'd had enough. I was out like a fat girl playing dodge ball.

My batts were already charged so I loaded up and headed straight to the park. As luck would have it, conditions were perfect. Sunny, 80* F, and no one else at the park besides another flying buddy who came to see the maiden. And no wind. At all.

So, I got the plane powered up with the 4s 2200mah batt, did a quick pre-flight and taxied out into the parking lot. Hit the timer and gradually throttled up. She motioned forward and lifted off effortlessly and gracefully. I climbed up, gave two clicks of right, one click up and she was trimmed. Did a few laps just to get a feel of it and thought, “Wow, this is the most relaxing maiden flight I have ever done. Now let’s see what she can do.” With low rates on I put her through the paces. She took everything I threw at her and didn’t even break a sweat. You want excellent vertical? No problem. Hammerhead? Piece of cake. Flat spin? Puhlease. Inverted flat spin? Knife edge? High speed pass or slow and low? This thing does it all and does it easily. In fact it has the same effect as my new Springfield XD9, this thing makes me look good!

Timer went off after 5 minutes of pure enjoyment, went around for a final approach and coasted her in like I had landed on a cloud. Gave a high 5 to my buddy for the easiest maiden flight ever, to which he replied, “I’m getting the yellow one!”

Flew two more packs, flew at mostly ˝ throttle or less, easily getting 6 minutes with 3.82 left in the cells. 7mins would be no problem. A moderate breeze picked up on the last flight and it handled it with ease.

Overall impressions:
-This plane has no bad tendencies.
-This planes fits in the SUV without having to take out the car seats and fold the seat down. Major time saver!
-Flying is relaxing again. (I am largely an EDF guy)
-Maybe this plane is the Super Cub on crack?
-I need to get some extensions so I can have better access to the Rx.
-Sure glad I balanced the prop and got a Dubro spinner since the stocker was off balance.
-Can’t wait to fly her again in the morning!

Anyway, that is my report. Get out there and happy flying!

Justin
the_walrus is offline Find More Posts by the_walrus
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:49 PM
Joined Oct 2007
56 Posts
I finished building the yellow kit after my crash (wasn't my fault! ele servo died in mid climb) with the red ARF and my goodness I see now that kit versions are NOT FOR ME!!! It took me every bit of 3 days to build this thing! I got glue ALL OVER THE PLACE!! I epoxied the living crap out of EVERYTHING!!! this time

That being said, wasn't nervous at all on maiden because I am used to the plane now, a couple of clicks on up ele and 2 clicks right ail and she flew very nice and predictable!

I did all of the mods so I flew with complete confidence. I am a happy camper again!

Got 3 2200 packs and 2 1800 in her today and she purrs

It would have been much easier to just repair the red one!
UniDaHero is offline Find More Posts by UniDaHero
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:53 PM
Joined Oct 2007
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_walrus View Post
**MAIDEN REPORT**

So I actually did a search on this thread for how many times the word "love" is mentioned. (Yes, cheesy but I felt it needed to be done) Turns out it is mentioned 98 times in 97 pages. Now I understand why, I love this plane. (99,100)

I went to maiden last night but it was too windy for my liking. By noon today I was reading the thread and trying to find any excuse to leave work and go flying. By 1pm I'd had enough. I was out like a fat girl playing dodge ball.

My batts were already charged so I loaded up and headed straight to the park. As luck would have it, conditions were perfect. Sunny, 80* F, and no one else at the park besides another flying buddy who came to see the maiden. And no wind. At all.

So, I got the plane powered up with the 4s 2200mah batt, did a quick pre-flight and taxied out into the parking lot. Hit the timer and gradually throttled up. She motioned forward and lifted off effortlessly and gracefully. I climbed up, gave two clicks of right, one click up and she was trimmed. Did a few laps just to get a feel of it and thought, “Wow, this is the most relaxing maiden flight I have ever done. Now let’s see what she can do.” With low rates on I put her through the paces. She took everything I threw at her and didn’t even break a sweat. You want excellent vertical? No problem. Hammerhead? Piece of cake. Flat spin? Puhlease. Inverted flat spin? Knife edge? High speed pass or slow and low? This thing does it all and does it easily. In fact it has the same effect as my new Springfield XD9, this thing makes me look good!

Timer went off after 5 minutes of pure enjoyment, went around for a final approach and coasted her in like I had landed on a cloud. Gave a high 5 to my buddy for the easiest maiden flight ever, to which he replied, “I’m getting the yellow one!”

Flew two more packs, flew at mostly ˝ throttle or less, easily getting 6 minutes with 3.82 left in the cells. 7mins would be no problem. A moderate breeze picked up on the last flight and it handled it with ease.

Overall impressions:
-This plane has no bad tendencies.
-This planes fits in the SUV without having to take out the car seats and fold the seat down. Major time saver!
-Flying is relaxing again. (I am largely an EDF guy)
-Maybe this plane is the Super Cub on crack?
-I need to get some extensions so I can have better access to the Rx.
-Sure glad I balanced the prop and got a Dubro spinner since the stocker was off balance.
-Can’t wait to fly her again in the morning!

Anyway, that is my report. Get out there and happy flying!

Justin
Sounds like an identical maiden! Sweet!

I LOVE this plane! Ha I got the 100th I love! What did I win?!?!?!?!?!
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:03 PM
Team Broke
Joined Feb 2003
5,671 Posts
Congrats on the maidens guys !
I can't wait to fly mine.
It sounds like it will remind me of flying my big Python, which flew like it was on rails !
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:24 PM
Joined Oct 2007
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdeth View Post
Congrats on the maidens guys !
I can't wait to fly mine.
It sounds like it will remind me of flying my big Python, which flew like it was on rails !
Thx! I understand what that phrase means now.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:58 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,296 Posts
I stuck two Solar A107s in the wing and a receiver then realized that I had wiped the original settings for the Peaks in my DX8. Had to set it up again. Triple rates... wheee!

I need a new lower wing but they are out of stock. Mine cracked in the crash a while back. The glue isn't holding anymore and this is the third set of servos that has been in the wing so it's a bit mushy around the servo slots. Hoping that will dry and harden up by the morning but if it's not better by midnight, I might break out a bit of epoxy.

Yep. Rails. Nice floaty rails. Taking this and the Dynam Sbach to the field tomorrow.
SD One. is online now Find More Posts by SD One.