Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 29, 2012, 09:08 AM
United States, RI, Smithfield
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geewow View Post
6 more days to arival. Thanks for all the tips, think I will order some other servos for the tail, horns and cf ready. The coupling on the tail surfaces, do u think packing tape coated on both sides before flying will keep it straight?
Countdown is almost over, AWESOME!!!

Tom
d2tw4all is offline Find More Posts by d2tw4all
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2012, 06:21 PM
Florida,USA
Joined Feb 2011
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy90277 View Post
Got tired of waiting for a yellow peaks to come back in stock and stumbled across a 35" balsa Pitts 12 from Atlanta Hobby. As much as I am annoyed by the Peak's imperfections like curling rudder and elevator, I have to give credit to Dynam for making a great flying plane - their Peaks outflies this balsa plane in every way. I figured as much given the balsa plane is so overbuilt that it came in at 42 oz with a Gens Ace 1550 mah 3S and an Omega 72g motor. With everything but the receiver stuffed into the motor box, it was still tail heavy and flew like a brick relative to 3D (tumbles were OK). It's a beauty though - probably destined for static display with an occasional sport flight or 2 in the future with a bigger motor (the 72g had trouble lugging it around on a 12x6 prop - an 11x5.5e couldn't generate enough thrust to get close to a 1 to 1 thrust to weight ratio).

So I'm back waiting for a yellow Peaks...and saving up for a SebArt 50e Pitts Python.

BTW: the decals are Dynam replacement decals for their yellow pitts sold outside the US.
Can you post a link to where you purchased the Pitts Python decals? I have been looking everywhere with no luck. Thanks, Gene
d_toolman is offline Find More Posts by d_toolman
Old May 29, 2012, 06:33 PM
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2010
985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_toolman View Post
Can you post a link to where you purchased the Pitts Python decals? I have been looking everywhere with no luck. Thanks, Gene
Over here:
http://www.nitrotek.co.uk/decal-for-...-rc-plane.html
flydown is online now Find More Posts by flydown
Old May 29, 2012, 07:08 PM
Florida,USA
Joined Feb 2011
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD One. View Post
Well unfortunately, I believe my time with my Peaks is coming to an end. I'm tired of messing with it. I've replaced everything up front but the motor. The prop is balanced and the shaft is straight yet above 1/2 throttle, it looks and sounds like the plane is about to rip itself apart. The motor mount is glued tight and there are no cracks in it that I can see.

I had a similar experience with a Multiplex Gemini, which is also a foam bipe. It had a 3642 sized motor on it and after a while, it started doing the EXACT same thing this one is doing. I was never able to fix that one either and ended up selling it. I'm two for two on foam bipes with massive vibration problems.

Did you change the prop adapter and spinner? I noticed the other day, if you grab the back side of the prop adapter you can crush it enough to throw it off center when you tighten it and it will warp the spinner back plate. Before I would scrap the plane I would change the adapter and fly it without a spinner to see. Also if you are using the stock Dynam prop it is hub heavy on one side. They carved out the name Dynam on one side of the hub and did not remove material from the other side of the hub which mad the prop hub itself out of balance. I could place the prop horizontal and vertical on my Dubro balancer and it would stay in position but at any other position it would drop to one side. I filled the back side with CA but still had to spray with clear lacquer on the light side of the hub to get the entire prop balanced. Also the stock Dynam prop is quite flexible and will distort during flight and give you some strange sound with some extra vibration. I switched to 13x6.5 APC Prop (because it will fit in the stock spinner) and all problems with sound and vibrations went away. Hobby King sells a 13x6 APC style sport prop (hub an root is larger like nitro prop) for 99 cents and it works great. Only problem is you will have to get a Dubro 2-1/4" spinner and do a little carving (very little) so the prop does not touch the spinner cone at all. The prop is quite stiff and vertical pull out is a whole lot better than stock. Hope this helps.
Old May 30, 2012, 07:33 PM
Bathurst, NSW, Oztralia
Joined Mar 2011
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_toolman View Post
Did you change the prop adapter and spinner? I noticed the other day, if you grab the back side of the prop adapter you can crush it enough to throw it off center when you tighten it and it will warp the spinner back plate. Before I would scrap the plane I would change the adapter and fly it without a spinner to see. Also if you are using the stock Dynam prop it is hub heavy on one side. They carved out the name Dynam on one side of the hub and did not remove material from the other side of the hub which mad the prop hub itself out of balance. I could place the prop horizontal and vertical on my Dubro balancer and it would stay in position but at any other position it would drop to one side. I filled the back side with CA but still had to spray with clear lacquer on the light side of the hub to get the entire prop balanced. Also the stock Dynam prop is quite flexible and will distort during flight and give you some strange sound with some extra vibration. I switched to 13x6.5 APC Prop (because it will fit in the stock spinner) and all problems with sound and vibrations went away. Hobby King sells a 13x6 APC style sport prop (hub an root is larger like nitro prop) for 99 cents and it works great. Only problem is you will have to get a Dubro 2-1/4" spinner and do a little carving (very little) so the prop does not touch the spinner cone at all. The prop is quite stiff and vertical pull out is a whole lot better than stock. Hope this helps.
I had the same issues. All fixed now with a new prop adapter from eflite.
rooni79 is offline Find More Posts by rooni79
Old May 30, 2012, 07:39 PM
Florida,USA
Joined Feb 2011
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydown View Post

Thanks for the link although they are out of stock. I will keep checking daily to see if they get them back in stock. I also shot them an email, so hopping to hear something soon. Really no hurry, I have one with the Peaks decals and the other is just hanging waiting on the Pitts Python decals.
Old May 31, 2012, 03:36 PM
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Got my Peaks today, can't wait to start the build and add the mods. Bigger wheels, CF rod for the tail feathers, and proper prop adapter (Greatplanes with grub screws, NO COLLET) for starters. Can't wait to check it out!!! What diameter CF are you guys using for the tail reinforcement (in place of the spring setup) offhand?

Tom
Old May 31, 2012, 04:47 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,120 Posts
Believe mine is 1.5. The weak link for it is the anchor point. I angle drilled little dents in the original mounting plates and fit the rod into them with a dab of epoxy.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Old May 31, 2012, 05:06 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,259 Posts
Yep, 1.5mm here too. I drilled holes completely into the plastic anchors and sunk the rods into the foam underneath with a little wiggle room so that I could make sure they didn't flex the surfaces. Then I epoxied them into place.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 07:00 AM
Joined Jan 2012
148 Posts
Anybody hand launching, does it hv the power to climb straight out?
geewow is offline Find More Posts by geewow
Old Jun 01, 2012, 07:36 AM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,555 Posts
Quote:
Anybody hand launching, does it hv the power to climb straight out?
All I do is hand launch because my grass is to long to take off from. It's effortless! Just hold the plane underhand in the half moon of the top wing with your left hand so you can have your right hand on elevator. Throttle up until it starts trying to pull away and release at slight upward angle. Flies away with no issues. Don't give it to much throttle though you will induce torque roll. I think I'm usually in between 1/4 and 1/2. You'll know when. Hope that helps.
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Jun 01, 2012, 07:04 PM
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Got mine together today, all in all a simple build, definitely don't like some things but overall it's a nice ship for the cost. Horizontal stab isn't level and I didn't want to bend too much so I just left it, shouldn't really make a huge difference I don't think. Maidened on 3S 2200 and it seemed very nose heavy in the air, will have to spend some time finding proper CG once I get the 4S batteries. Put 2-1/2 inch dubro sport light wheels on it, no wheel pants since my flying field is grass. Took off with no problems but nosed over on the landing and I think the landing gear actually bent a little bit which surprises me since it was a pretty slow landing and there was some rollout before it nosed over. No damage at all. Only mods so far are CF rods on the horizontal stab, bigger wheels, APC 13x6.5 prop, great planes prop adapter that uses the 2 grub screws at a 90 degree, and a great planes 2" spinner. I just used scotch tape to hold down the foam cover over the wings and the main battery hatch seems to hold ok for now. I'm not a crazy 3D flyer so I doubt it'll come off since I'm not at the point where I'm putting it into blenders etc. Big plane, bigger than I expected. Flight characteristics were very similar to my UMX Beast, obviously minus the AS3X gyro and on 3S it was definitely underpowered, but totally flyable. Basically it took off fine, and I could fly it around but could tell the top end was definitely much lower than I'd like with a 3D plane. I plan to reinforce the horizontal stab with some CF and do the aluminum mod on the back of the rudder, and I will be keeping an eye on the control horns but for now they are ok. I'll also be doing the pushrod mod with some guides as on high rates there is way too much flex.

Tom
Old Jun 01, 2012, 08:46 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,259 Posts
Nice. Work out those weak spots and it's a pretty sweet bipe. It does fly a lot like the little Beast, just bigger.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Jun 02, 2012, 08:26 AM
Joined Jan 2012
148 Posts
Good to hear about the hand launching. Landings, with power or gliding right in with the proper cg (like the umx my preference will be jst slightly nose heavy)
geewow is offline Find More Posts by geewow
Old Jun 02, 2012, 09:15 AM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Good to hear about the hand launching. Landings, with power or gliding right in with the proper cg (like the umx my preference will be jst slightly nose heavy)
For my bumpy grass field, I always land with power in a harrier to slow my ground speed. On a windy day, which is almost always the case, it'll just settle down with a little rollout.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277