HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 05, 2012, 02:44 PM
Florida,USA
Joined Feb 2011
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timflyerfry View Post
Those of you who switched to an APC prop... are you running the standard 13x6 prop or the 13x6.5E version? The E versions is about .5oz lighter and will fit the e-flite 2" aluminum spinner that I installed, but I am concerned about the E version flexing since it is thinner.

Any thoughts?
The APC 13x 6.5E is a lot stiffer than the prop supplied by Dynam. I purchased some of the 13x6 APC clones from HobbyKing for 99 cents... it is a sport prop and you have to use a larger spinner but it out preforms the stock prop. I purchased the APC 13x6.5E but have not installed it yet but it is stiffer than Dynam. I found that the Dynam prop is hub heavy because when they carved out their name on the hub they did not remove the same amount of plastic on the opposite side of the hole making the hub out of balance. I filled up two compartments on the lighter side of the hub on the back with CA and still was not enough weight so I also sprayed the light side with clear lacquer until balanced.
d_toolman is offline Find More Posts by d_toolman
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2012, 04:09 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,420 Posts
Looks like the HS-82MG on my elevator did not survive the crash last week. It started twitching in the air on the second flight and that was kind of scary but I got it back down safe. I have the Dynam prop on mine at this time. It was definitely heavier in the nose and not balanced very well at all. I'm all out of APC's.

Other than those two things, it flew fine after all the repairs.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old May 06, 2012, 08:13 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
got mine back in the air after last weeks incident. It is a really nice bang for the buck, handled wind nicely and even though I mentioned the finish wasn't great, the foam seems pretty nice, mine sat in the sun all afternoon and the black areas did not gator (lizard basketball). it is more fun and out performs my electrifly ultimate too.

I noticed sn hobbies got them in stock now (local shop for me) so hoping I can get parts there if need be, but I got a better price at nitro with that 25% off they had recently.
BrentP is offline Find More Posts by BrentP
Old May 06, 2012, 10:18 PM
Florida,USA
Joined Feb 2011
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentP View Post
got mine back in the air after last weeks incident. It is a really nice bang for the buck, handled wind nicely and even though I mentioned the finish wasn't great, the foam seems pretty nice, mine sat in the sun all afternoon and the black areas did not gator (lizard basketball). it is more fun and out performs my electrifly ultimate too.

I noticed sn hobbies got them in stock now (local shop for me) so hoping I can get parts there if need be, but I got a better price at nitro with that 25% off they had recently.
Let us know if sn hobbies can get parts please.
Old May 06, 2012, 10:27 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
sure, I will ask or get a buddy to ask them soon

Brent
BrentP is offline Find More Posts by BrentP
Old May 06, 2012, 10:32 PM
Florida,USA
Joined Feb 2011
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentP View Post
sure, I will ask or get a buddy to ask them soon

Brent

Thanks,
Gene
Old May 07, 2012, 11:30 AM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
555 Posts
Peaks Finally Got Some...

...airtime that is...

Took me a while to get the maiden out of the way. Everything went okay for the first flights. On top of that, I'm using a new radio system so it was all a new experience, not just the plane.

The cupped elevator is causing issues on take-off, though. Even with it trimmed neutral (level) it acts like it's tail heavy. Then once it's airborne it behaves like it's nose heavy. Kinda figured I'd have a dilemma with this. Next plan is to try & straighten it out by adding some carbon fiber strips in the pre-made indents.

Anyway, I took it easy flying her on low & mid-rates & getting her trimmed. Added some left aileron & little up elevator & she was flying true. Very nice flying plane even with some steady winds, one of the reasons why I bought this large bird. The guys at the field were commenting about how big it seems. Does attract attention in the Pitts, I mean pits...

Did some horizontal & vertical rolls, spins, barrel rolls & flew inverted. Needed a bit of down elevator to keep her level. I'm going to experiment with moving the battery rearward now that I've gotten a better feel for her. First landing was gentle but had a slight bounce. Second one she tipped to the right & dragged the wingtip & scuffed it a bit. Think I'll add some Gorilla tape on each of the lower wingtips now...

Also need to cut some vent holes in that false motor surround to get some airflow through the fuse. Nothing seemed to hot but I wasn't flying her aggressively at all (yet)...

By the way, what props are you guys using with the factory motor & ESC? The stock one seems a little tame for this big & heavy of a plane...
RCAV8T0R is online now Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Old May 07, 2012, 12:10 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8T0R View Post
...airtime that is...

Took me a while to get the maiden out of the way. Everything went okay for the first flights. On top of that, I'm using a new radio system so it was all a new experience, not just the plane.

The cupped elevator is causing issues on take-off, though. Even with it trimmed neutral (level) it acts like it's tail heavy. Then once it's airborne it behaves like it's nose heavy. Kinda figured I'd have a dilemma with this. Next plan is to try & straighten it out by adding some carbon fiber strips in the pre-made indents.

Anyway, I took it easy flying her on low & mid-rates & getting her trimmed. Added some left aileron & little up elevator & she was flying true. Very nice flying plane even with some steady winds, one of the reasons why I bought this large bird. The guys at the field were commenting about how big it seems. Does attract attention in the Pitts, I mean pits...

Did some horizontal & vertical rolls, spins, barrel rolls & flew inverted. Needed a bit of down elevator to keep her level. I'm going to experiment with moving the battery rearward now that I've gotten a better feel for her. First landing was gentle but had a slight bounce. Second one she tipped to the right & dragged the wingtip & scuffed it a bit. Think I'll add some Gorilla tape on each of the lower wingtips now...

Also need to cut some vent holes in that false motor surround to get some airflow through the fuse. Nothing seemed to hot but I wasn't flying her aggressively at all (yet)...

By the way, what props are you guys using with the factory motor & ESC? The stock one seems a little tame for this big & heavy of a plane...
I'm flying with a 13x7 XOAR wood prop, and find it more responsive to throttle and less prone to "cavitating," during hovers. I haven't noticed a significant increase in thrust or speed, though. I have some Turnigy 13x8s on order to see how well they work. I think wood props look great on this bird - will require a new spinner, though, as the hubs on the wood props are wider.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old May 07, 2012, 12:17 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,420 Posts
Be sure to pull the cowl off first and look behind hit before cutting any holes in the molded engine plate. There's nothing behind there but white foam and not much room for airflow.

Didn't fly mine yesterday. The only prop I had besides the stock prop was a 14x7E and it produced over 650 watts. I'll get some more 13x6.5E props tomorrow.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old May 07, 2012, 12:43 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy90277 View Post
I'm flying with a 13x7 XOAR wood prop, and find it more responsive to throttle and less prone to "cavitating," during hovers. I haven't noticed a significant increase in thrust or speed, though. I have some Turnigy 13x8s on order to see how well they work. I think wood props look great on this bird - will require a new spinner, though, as the hubs on the wood props are wider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormdriverOne View Post
Be sure to pull the cowl off first and look behind hit before cutting any holes in the molded engine plate. There's nothing behind there but white foam and not much room for airflow.

Didn't fly mine yesterday. The only prop I had besides the stock prop was a 14x7E and it produced over 650 watts. I'll get some more 13x6.5E props tomorrow.
Thanks for the responses guys, very helpful...
Old May 07, 2012, 03:13 PM
Florida,USA
Joined Feb 2011
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8T0R View Post
...airtime that is...

Here is how I straightened the rudder and elevator. On the elevator I did the trailing edge and to take out the cup I did the outer tip. I ran out of Carbon fiber but as soon as I get some more I will do the inner edge of the elevator also... It is 99% flat now and flies better with the flat rudder and flat elevator. Note the real expensive straightening tool, two pieces of 1/2" pvc pipe and two rubberbands hold the surface straight while I cut the grove and glue in the carbon fiber. I also had the Dubro 1/2A control horn starting to weaken the foam so I removed the horn and epoxied 1/32 plywood on the elevator and remounted the control horn. I found the right shade of yellow at hobby lobby... (the craft hobby lobby) and you can not even see the plywood unless I point it out to you. Not painted in photo or it would not show up.
Last edited by d_toolman; May 07, 2012 at 11:48 PM. Reason: to add photo
Old May 07, 2012, 03:33 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
555 Posts
Nicely Done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_toolman View Post
Here is how I straightened the rudder and elevator. On the elevator I did the trailing edge and to take out the cup I did the outer tip. I ran out of Carbon fiber but as soon as I get some more I will do the inner edge of the elevator also... It is 99% flat now and flies better with the flat rudder and flat elevator. Note the real expensive straightening tool, two pieces of 1/2" pvc pipe and two rubberbands hole the surface straight while I cut the grove and glue in the carbon fiber. I also had the Dubro 1/2A control horn starting to weaken the foam so I removed the horn and epoxied 1/32 plywood on the elevator and remounted the control horn. I found the right shade of yellow at hobby lobby... (the craft hobby lobby) and you can not even see the plywood unless I point it out to you. Not painted in photo or it would not show up.
Great tips & photos, Toolman so thanks. Never thought of placing carbon fiber strips on the leading & trailing edges of the control surfaces of this bird & I just built my first EPP flat-out plane that has them everywhere...DOH...

Gotta love these usergroups. Ideas & information aplenty...
Old May 07, 2012, 03:41 PM
Florida,USA
Joined Feb 2011
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormdriverOne View Post

You can remove the flat plastic between the three bottom radial engines. There is a hole in the foam and in that hole is the speed control. This will produce a wind tunnel and keep the speed control cool... note: it will also make your plane a have a whoooooo sound as it is flying through the air...so don't be alarmed the first time you hear it... actually sounds like wind passing over flying wires.
Old May 07, 2012, 04:34 PM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy90277 View Post
Just got in an EMP 13x8E prop, will test the amps/watts tonight. I wanted an EMP 13x7, but none to be found
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Old May 07, 2012, 06:54 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,139 Posts
Tried an APC 13x8 on mine last time out and I like it. Better speed and less racket at WOT. Almost identical amp draw as the stocker which is about 560 for mine.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken