Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:25 PM
United States, IL, Freeport
Joined May 2008
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8T0R View Post
Check the throttle EPA, Center or Trims on your TX. Had a similar issue on an Rx-Ready (PNP) EDF from Starmax...

Found this out by chance but I ended up having to input a negative value on the throttle's 'Center' program on my Airtronics radio. Seems that the ESC was sensing some type of throttle input even when the throttle stick was at the lowest (off) position. No amount of throttle high & then throttle stick low calibration made any difference...

After that, I then adjusted the throttle high 'EPA' to just about the opposite amount, i.e.; Center = -22, EPA = 124%. Works just fine. Worth a try...
I'll give it a try because I am using Airtronics.
timflyerfry is offline Find More Posts by timflyerfry
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:25 PM
Florida,USA
Joined Feb 2011
143 Posts
Try reversing the throttle channel and start the process again. If it still won't calibrate then I would just replace the ESC or call whoever you ordered the plane from and have them replace the ESC.
d_toolman is offline Find More Posts by d_toolman
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:29 PM
Florida,USA
Joined Feb 2011
143 Posts
Sounds like RCAV8T0R is on to something... I us a Spektrum DX6i. If I remember right someone else had a similar problem and it had something to do with throttle hold on their transmitter. Might want to check into that also.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:30 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,620 Posts
could it be that your transmitter is not binded. if its slow beeps . that is usually the case .
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:33 PM
Florida,USA
Joined Feb 2011
143 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks guys for the PDF of the Pitts Python decals.... already dropped it off to have some made.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:20 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timflyerfry View Post
...I am using Airtronics.

Airtronics? What's that?!@!
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:25 PM
Florida,USA
Joined Feb 2011
143 Posts
Airtronics is a brand of radio equipment. It has been around sense the 70's.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:27 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_toolman View Post
Airtronics is a brand of radio equipment. It has been around sense the 70's.

I was joking him as I don't see too many these days using Airtronics radio gear....
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:41 PM
Florida,USA
Joined Feb 2011
143 Posts
Yea... that was big back in the 70's but Futaba took over real quick.
I wonder if the transmitter is 72mzh. If so, I would throw it away and get 2.4ghz.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:53 PM
Joined May 2008
64 Posts
Thanks for all the help on the ESC issue. I have reversed the thottlle, started with it up, down, I have adjusted the center point all to no avail. I'll have to make a phone call tomorrow.

I am using an Airtronics RDS8000 2.4GHz 8-channel TX and 5 channel Airtronics RX. I used the TX/RX combo last summer in a different plane and it performed flawlessly so I am assuming the issue is with the ESC. The servos operate just fine but I can't get the motor to arm or get the ESC to beep to indicate the number of cells. I am not new to electrics or programable ESCs and I have never had this problem before.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:06 PM
Florida,USA
Joined Feb 2011
143 Posts
Making the call may be the best choice at this point. Maybe they know how to get it to work properly. Hope you solve the problem... nothing worse than having a plane grounded. I didn't realize Airtronics was still in business. Though the dropped off the market in the 90's. I am sure it is a quality radio system. I am looking at 8 channel radios now. I have 2 Spektrum DX6i's because I have 15 planes and two helicopters and each radio only holds 10 models. The 8 channel holds 30 models. Good luck with that ESC.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:08 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,204 Posts
Quote:
I am not new to electrics or programable ESCs and I have never had this problem before.

Do you have a spare esc of any amperage laying around to try?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:33 AM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
523 Posts
Motor connections solid?

Quote:
Thanks for all the help on the ESC issue. I have reversed the thottlle, started with it up, down, I have adjusted the center point all to no avail. I'll have to make a phone call tomorrow.

I am using an Airtronics RDS8000 2.4GHz 8-channel TX and 5 channel Airtronics RX. I used the TX/RX combo last summer in a different plane and it performed flawlessly so I am assuming the issue is with the ESC. The servos operate just fine but I can't get the motor to arm or get the ESC to beep to indicate the number of cells. I am not new to electrics or programable ESCs and I have never had this problem before.
Just thinking again & wondering if you've checked to see if all the motor & ESC leads are solidly connected to each other, or not. Reason I say this if they are loose it can cause a trouble.

To tell you the truth, I never checked these on mine. I guess I got lucky because the motor spun up so I went ahead installed the prop after binding the Rx.
RCAV8T0R is online now Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:42 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_toolman View Post
Yea... that was big back in the 70's but Futaba took over real quick.
I wonder if the transmitter is 72mzh. If so, I would throw it away and get 2.4ghz.
Don't be too quick to toss old technology out. It works well and actually has better range than the new 2.4GHz stuff. FPV fliers use 72MHz for the range it provides.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:08 AM
Joined May 2008
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
Do you have a spare esc of any amperage laying around to try?
I plugged in a spare motor I had and still the same issue. So i plugged in a little 9A 2-cell ESC that I had lying around and it armed and spun the Pitts motor just fine. So, the issue is the ESC.

All the connections on the ESC seem to be tight so it looks like I need a new ESC.

Now I get to test nitroplanes.com or Dynam's customer support. I hope it performs better than my deffective ESC.