HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:09 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,274 Posts
I went with a 2-1/4" Great Planes spinner. Fits nicely over it.

Also... I didn't need servo extensions. The HS-82MG leads are longer than the 17g Detrum leads and it already had extensions in the fuse. They were not taped, glued or clamped though.

The HS-82s, with the metal gears and longer leads, weigh about 4g more than the included Detrums.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:15 PM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,274 Posts
New servos went in easily and both had to be reversed. Even with standard voltage, they are much stronger and faster than the stock servos. With the longer leads, I was able to use the extensions I bought today on the ailerons instead. That allowed me to move my receiver off of the wing and into the second compartment.

Next, I figured out a battery strap. Hopefully, the pictures are self explanatory.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:31 PM
SoCal
Joined Aug 2010
150 Posts
Nice solution! I had fears of launching my battery.
DarwinF is offline Find More Posts by DarwinF
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:45 PM
Bathurst, NSW, Oztralia
Joined Mar 2011
230 Posts
I just used some velcro on the bottom of the tray, and some on my battery. I do like your solution though!
rooni79 is offline Find More Posts by rooni79
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:18 PM
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queadlunnrau View Post
The RED ARF seems to be in stock as of this post.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy894...s-red-arf.html

Though I've ordered in the past with something in stock when I checked out only to be saddened later when I get am email saying, "You suck, you no order fast enough ... go fly a kite."

Thanks... I could not find it listed on their site, and really would prefer the yellow plane not the red anyway.

The RTF would be fine, but I assume it comes with a crap RX with no expo. Does not say what receiver is in it, doubtful it will bind to my DX6i. Anyone know if I'll need to swap the receiver. The 50A esc seems a bit low for the plane. How hot is the stock motor? Have any of you upgraded?
dragonshade is offline Find More Posts by dragonshade
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:05 PM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,274 Posts
Motor pulls 38 - 40 amps and produces 500-550 watts depending on prop and batteries. I don't plan on upgrading until it fries or dies.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:24 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormdriverOne View Post
Motor pulls 38 - 40 amps and produces 500-550 watts depending on prop and batteries. I don't plan on upgrading until it fries or dies.
Yup... the motor seems entirely adequate. I get 8600rpm on an APC drawing about 500 watts.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:23 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonshade View Post
The RTF would be fine, but I assume it comes with a crap RX with no expo. Does not say what receiver is in it, doubtful it will bind to my DX6i....
You can always take out the rx and throw in a 10 dollar orange rx from Hobbyking to bind to the dx6i
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Apr 19, 2012, 01:15 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
You can always take out the rx and throw in a 10 dollar orange rx from Hobbyking to bind to the dx6i
Or even a $6 Orange. They work great.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:11 AM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,274 Posts
I flew three more packs through mine yesterday. The 1800 packs work very nicely in it. It feels much better when inverted. 3 packs is about all I can get through it after work and usually a good portion of the first pack is spent trimming and checking things. The weekend looks like crap... again.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:32 AM
Joined Apr 2012
1 Posts
I've got the red ARF on the way scheduled for delivery next Tuesday. After reading this thread, this is what I came up with for a list of things I should check/modify during the assembly process. Is there anything I am missing?
  • Motor mount reinforcement
  • Thread lock on motor mount screws and wing strut/mounting screws
  • Carbon fiber rods on rear push rods for added stiffness
  • Larger wheels for grass take-offs and landings (at lease 2.25")
  • Receiver hatch secured
  • Prop and spinner balanced or replaced
  • Check for excess play in motor and adjust if necessary
  • Control surface hinges reinforced
  • Check lg mounting, reinforce if necessary
  • Fuel tubing on clevises
FlyerFry is offline Find More Posts by FlyerFry
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:44 AM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,274 Posts
Looks good. I haven't touched my hinges yet. Just check em every couple flights. The ailerons come with their servos already installed and attached. I disconnected them and worked them up and down to their full travel each way to loosen up the hinge.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:11 AM
United States, IL, Freeport
Joined May 2008
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormdriverOne View Post
Looks good. I haven't touched my hinges yet. Just check em every couple flights.
Thanks for the tip on the hinges. I may leave them alone and keep an eye on them. Losing a control surface in the air is not an experience I wish to have.
timflyerfry is offline Find More Posts by timflyerfry
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:40 AM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,121 Posts
I took my soldering iron to the aileron and elevator hinges last night and loosened them up quite a bit. Used packing tape to reinforce them. Went with some round carbon for the rear feather bracing since the original plates were coming loose. Much stiffer now. Added some flat carbon to the rudder to straighten and reinforce it. Got a few packs in at lunchtime yesterday with almost zero wind. On the third pack, I scooted the battery far enough back to get it a little tailheavy and this thing became a hovering machine! What a difference it made. Got a few more packs in at lunchtime today and it does feel better with the reinforcements. Felt more accurate. Think I need to stiffen up the elevator a bit and whittle a little foam to increase up travel. I think I'll be pretty happy with her it after that.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Last edited by krexken; Apr 19, 2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:34 PM
Going broke, dam this hobby
cleveland oh
Joined Mar 2009
627 Posts
ok what prop adapter will fit the stock motor , and what size spinner can i use to go with it , the stock spinner and prop adapter suck ?
thanks ed
xlrDALLAS is online now Find More Posts by xlrDALLAS