SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 14, 2012, 05:34 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,346 Posts
I whittled a bit of foam out of the V shaped elevator cutout and am now getting 45 degrees of travel in both directions. That should tighten up those walls and elevators nicely.

I scratchbuild a lot of foamies and have needed a small scale for a while. I got one today at the Wally for less than 20 bucks and of course, the first thing I weighed was batteries and big foam planes.

Gens Ace 4S 2500 25C = 304g
Gens Ace 4S 2200 25C = 259g
Sky LiPo 4S 1800 30C = 200g

Peaks = 1300g without battery
Sbach = 1203g without battery

Peaks advertised flying weight = 1300g Um... whoops?
Sbach advertised flying weight = 1450g Seems right.

Interesting results there. Looks like they forgot to put a battery in their Peaks for their flying weight.

I really want to go fly. This wind sucks.
SD One. is online now Find More Posts by SD One.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2012, 07:22 PM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,620 Posts
StromdriverOne,
Are you using the stock elevator servo with that much throw? That's awesome if you are mine stripped with half that throw I picked up a new MG and Power25 at Toledo yesterday to spice it up a bit. I also picked up a 48" 3DHS EPP Extra So that will be built before I make the mods to the Peaks. Can't wait to see what the Power25 will do for this plane. There is a small chance I could run it on 3s with a 14x7 but I think that's just wishful thinking. Anyway looking forward to your videos!
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Apr 14, 2012, 07:23 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,425 Posts
Picked me up a yellow one at the Toledo R/C Expo yesterday from Antonio & Tony -- two super nice, down to earth guys to talk with.

Doors opened at 9am, I got mine at 9:15 and they were sold out before 10am

Is the stock prop decent enough to start out with, or you all changing it out from the get go?
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Apr 14, 2012, 07:31 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
Picked me up a yellow one at the Toledo R/C Expo yesterday from Antonio & Tony -- two super nice, down to earth guys to talk with.

Doors opened at 9am, I got mine at 9:15 and they were sold out before 10am

Is the stock prop decent enough to start out with, or you all changing it out from the get go?
As long as you can get it to balance out with that cheapo spinner. The stock prop has enough to have fun with it but you'll want to upgrade it eventually. Toledo was a mad house this year I was really bummed Hobbypartz didn't bring a whole bunch of batteries, servos, esc's and motors though.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:52 PM
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2010
1,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgmag View Post
Also, I put some rubber keepers on all the clevises for some extra security and put on 2.25" wheels so maybe it'll handle some tallish grass.
Does that size wheel fit inside of the wheel pants?
flydown is offline Find More Posts by flydown
Last edited by flydown; Apr 14, 2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:54 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1 View Post
The stock prop has enough to have fun with it but you'll want to upgrade it eventually...

Upgrade the prop to what?

APC 13x ____ ?
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:59 PM
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2010
1,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormdriverOne View Post
I can fly it in Phoenix! Woot!
My Phoenix sim does not have that plane .
Is that a recent update?
flydown is offline Find More Posts by flydown
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:30 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
I think I'm going to give up on the wheel pants for my red Pitts and put on larger wheels than the 2 1/4 " I'm using now. The grass on my flying field is catching the wheel pants - it tore the gear off today like it did on my Sbach last weekend.

The plate where the gears are attached to are only held in place by a notch in the foam and the a couple of plastic screw receptacles that are glued on with rubber cement to the bottom of the foam channel where the ESC goes. The glue contact area is only the size of a dime for each receptacle. There is no way this setup will survive for long. I rebuilt the gear attachment point by running 6" carbon fiber rods at the bottom of the channel underneath the plate. The rods are digging into the surrounding foam to get a better hold. I then put white gorilla glue and let it expand to the gear plate to create a bond between the plate, surrounding foam and carbon fiber rods. It's curing now and it looks like it'll be solid.

I'm still going with the bigger wheels because I keep nosing over on this field. I land with a little power, and am getting tired of mowing the runway grass for the other guys.

On the yellow Pitts I'm still putting together, I poured gorilla glue in the channel and let it expand to surround the screw receptacles and fill in the void between the foam and the plate. I did this a couple days ago, and it gorilla glue looks solid. Time will tell if that is sufficient - definitely a lot stronger than the stock setup.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:48 PM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormdriverOne View Post
Peaks = 1300g without battery

Peaks advertised flying weight = 1300g Um... whoops?

Interesting results there. Looks like they forgot to put a battery in their Peaks for their flying weight.

I really want to go fly. This wind sucks.
Thank you! I weighed mine earlier in this thread and wondered if mine was just too heavy due to the advertised flying weight being 1300g ... Someone mentioned 1300g is the dry weight and glad it's confirmed on another pitts and not just mines.
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:12 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
Upgrade the prop to what?

APC 13x ____ ?
13x7-8. I'm currently using a 13x8 Xoar wood prop and love it. I like the wood props for the efficiency and sound. I do cry when I snap one though The 13x8 gives up about 30 seconds flying time but it increases the speed pretty good. The stock prop just wasn't stiff enough and any other prop I've tried provided more POP.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:02 AM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydown View Post
My Phoenix sim does not have that plane .
Is that a recent update?
It's a custom scheme for the Beast. I've attached it below. It goes in My Documents/Phoenix/Schemes

There's an entire thread of custom schemes, even a few of my own, that can be found here.
SD One. is online now Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:33 AM
Going broke, dam this hobby
cleveland oh
Joined Mar 2009
627 Posts
would a 13 by 6.5e apc prop be good for this plane? and is the spinner on this plane a 40 mm
thanks ed
xlrDALLAS is offline Find More Posts by xlrDALLAS
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:27 AM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydown View Post
Does that size wheel fit inside of the wheel pants?
Yes, I have the dubro 2.25" foam wheels in mine.

Had to dremel a bit off the wheel hub and the opening in the wheel pants though.
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:41 AM
Add Lightness
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Dec 2011
302 Posts
Quote:
+1 on the GP spinner. I love that spinner I'm using it on several planes now. I also put a 13x8 Zinger wood prop on and it flies and sounds so nice
do you have a link and or part#s for the great planes spinner, etc. I'd like that for my sbach.

thanks
MNadMan is offline Find More Posts by MNadMan
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:51 AM
Add Lightness
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Dec 2011
302 Posts
Quote:
I'd call Nitro up and tell them you want the right pilot. That's ridiculous That's gotta look pretty dumb. Can you post a picture?
my new Dynam 1250mm sbach 342 (latest version) also has the WWII pilot :-(

MNadMan is offline Find More Posts by MNadMan