SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:39 PM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1 View Post
The only thing I had was a Master Airscrew 13x6. It was okay but took a little top speed off compared to stock but had more thrust. It ran much smoother too. I'm going to order a 13x6 Xoar and 13x6 APC and see how I like them. I just had it up in some 15-20mph gusts and it was handling it no problem. Landing was a little tricky though with a crosswind
I just got a couple of master air screw props, good to know a bit more thrust from it. One of mine is made of wood and is really light, hoping for a bit more thrust maybe with that one, once I put in over 30 flights I'll try that one.

No need for speed on this bipe, I feel she's plenty fast, my edf's take care of my need 4 speed.
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2012, 07:35 AM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,557 Posts
My landing gear vibrates pretty bad when I'm above half throttle or doing any maneuver that involves speed even without throttle. Does anyone else have this problem? I can't really figure a way to fix it I know it's the gear because when the plane is on the ground and I give full throttle there is no vibration out of the ordinary. I can live with the noise but every time it happens I think the plane is about to blow up from an out of balance prop. It would just make me feel better if everyone's is that way.
FlyWW1 is online now Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Feb 24, 2012, 09:01 AM
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkagan View Post
Hey guys. I changed my timing to 'low' and the pulsating is gone now. Thanks for the advice.
So...no change in power/performance?
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
Old Feb 24, 2012, 09:04 AM
United States, FL, Boynton Beach
Joined Aug 2011
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poiyt View Post
So...no change in power/performance?
I haven't flown it yet. I did throttle up while holding it indoors and it seems strong. I'll try to fly after work and I'll report back.

Larry
lkagan is offline Find More Posts by lkagan
Old Feb 26, 2012, 02:12 PM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,360 Posts
I picked up an APC 13x6.5 for this at my LHS..... That should be fine right? It's all they had.
JGuilty13 is online now Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Old Feb 26, 2012, 02:27 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,557 Posts
It should be fine if it's a sport version. If it's a thin electric you'll draw more amps and may be pushing the ESC past it's limits. I haven't run the stock setup on a watt meter yet so I don't know if we are already close to the ESC limit. As soon as I can charge my battery I'll run the stock setup on the watt meter.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 02:44 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1 View Post
My landing gear vibrates pretty bad when I'm above half throttle or doing any maneuver that involves speed even without throttle. Does anyone else have this problem? I can't really figure a way to fix it I know it's the gear because when the plane is on the ground and I give full throttle there is no vibration out of the ordinary. I can live with the noise but every time it happens I think the plane is about to blow up from an out of balance prop. It would just make me feel better if everyone's is that way.
Have you balanced the prop? That can cut down on sympathetic vibrations elsewhere in the airframe.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:43 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Have you balanced the prop? That can cut down on sympathetic vibrations elsewhere in the airframe.
Yeah everything is balanced. I ended up putting a washer on each side of the front wheels to take the slop out and also tighten the back wheel. Also put some shrink tube in between the clevis and horns to eliminate that slop. Now she is smooth as silk and sounds great in the air
Old Feb 26, 2012, 04:05 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGuilty13 View Post
I picked up an APC 13x6.5 for this at my LHS..... That should be fine right? It's all they had.
You should be good to go. I just ran it up on the watt meter. With a 20c 4s 2200 it gave me 39 amps and 582 watts. Some of the amps would unload in the air so it's not really near the ESC limit yet. I bet with the 13x6.5 you still be under 40 amps once in the air depending on what pack your using.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:31 PM
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Mar 2005
625 Posts
I need a replacement collet, any suggestions?
P.I.Engineer is offline Find More Posts by P.I.Engineer
Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:21 AM
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Mar 2005
625 Posts
found one at rcdude hobbies
P.I.Engineer is offline Find More Posts by P.I.Engineer
Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:44 AM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,360 Posts
FlyWW1 thanks for the info!

Here is the initial stage of the cowling detail (sorry for picture quality)....Ill get a better close up once it's done. Also, I painted the tips of the stock prop to get it to balance perfectly. I think it looks better than the all black anyway.
JGuilty13 is online now Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:27 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,107 Posts
After a Few Flts....

Ok, all in all, not a bad lil foamie....

1st observation/question: the roll rate is abysmally slow, even on high rates and maxing the linkage geometry...now this IS my 1st bipe...so is the slow roll just a function of having 2 wings?? Blenders & KE loops aint bad, but she sure dont roll like my Sbach.

2nd: the batt hatch cover comes flying off in very vigorous blenders, etc. You'd think those 4 big magnets would hold it down, but no. Gonna figger a better way.

3d: LG is weak...so I used some CF tape coated with epoxy, on the bottom of the fuse, just fwd of the LG. That helped. Then I took the screws that hold the LG in and replaced those with nylon wing bolts (enlarged the holes on the LG, then used blind nuts to secure).

That way, the nylon bolt will fail before the LG does. Easy to replace, keep flying....

cheers
Jeff
Old Feb 27, 2012, 01:30 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poiyt View Post
Ok, all in all, not a bad lil foamie....

1st observation/question: the roll rate is abysmally slow, even on high rates and maxing the linkage geometry...now this IS my 1st bipe...so is the slow roll just a function of having 2 wings?? Blenders & KE loops aint bad, but she sure dont roll like my Sbach.

2nd: the batt hatch cover comes flying off in very vigorous blenders, etc. You'd think those 4 big magnets would hold it down, but no. Gonna figger a better way.
I agree with your first 2 points - haven't had a problem so far with the landing gear mount - knock on wood.

Before taking off with the Pitts on Saturday, I was commenting to my flying buddy that the although the Pitts was a very nice flying plane, the Dynam Sbach flew better in my opinion. In hindsight, it probably wasn't a good idea from a Karma standpoint to badmouth your plane before taking off with it.

About 2 minutes after taking off, I did a high altitude blender and the battery hatch cover came flying off and was carried away by the wind. Shortly after that, the 2nd receiver hatch cover came flying off, but landed where I could get it back.

I'm in the middle of fabricating another battery hatch cover from sheet foam. While doing it, I noticed the stock magnet mounts with the magnets recessed create a fairly large separation between the hatch and cover magnets (1-2 mm?). The hold would be much better if they were closer. The new battery hatch cover has strong earth magnets epoxied to it and are much closer to the stock hatch magnets. The magnets might even be touching as I'm hearing that metal to metal click when I put the cover on. I used a thin piece of packing tape to separate the cover and the hatch magnets while the epoxy set on the cover magnets. The hold seems much stronger than before - I'm going to need a flap of tape to pull the cover off without gouging it.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:28 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,107 Posts
Quote:
I was commenting to my flying buddy that the although the Pitts was a very nice flying plane, the Dynam Sbach flew better in my opinion.
Owning both, and having gotten some time on both, I agree. The Pitts is ok and all, but imo the Sbach wads up better in blenders etc and seems like it has more pop.

The Pitts has to be a really draggy airframe- while the Sbach is a pretty clean frame- and I think this accounts for a big part of the difference.

Methinks the Pitts is more of a scale flyer...going for looks over capabilities.