HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:54 PM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grovey View Post
So tempted to get this plane, just worried about the stock components. Reading back through this thread and hearing about servo and ESC issues. Seems like a gamble as to weather you will receive good components or not.

Watching videos of this plane flying though just really makes me want to fly it! The size is just perfect and it seems nice and floaty with lots of power on tap. Someone talk me into this, hehe.

Would this battery fit in the plane ok?

http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-25c-1800-4s1p.html
Other than the rear servos and the firewall mod, I have been flying the crap out of mine with no problems..... That battery should fit but will have reduced flying time compared to a 2200. If your into extreme 3d than an 1800 makes it a little lighter. Being a 25c you can only get 45 amps from it so make sure you measure your amp draw
mjdee14 is offline Find More Posts by mjdee14
Last edited by mjdee14; Feb 03, 2013 at 02:56 PM. Reason: addition
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:00 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdee14 View Post
Other than the rear servos and the firewall mod, I have been flying the crap out of mine with no problems..... That battery should fit but will have reduced flying time compared to a 2200. If your into extreme 3d than an 1800 makes it a little lighter. Being a 25c you can only get 45 amps from it so make sure you measure your amp draw
You talking about the elevator and rudder servos?

If you would be so kind could you link me to the firewall mod?

And lastly, which best bang for buck battery for this plane would you recommend? As per normal, Gens Ace batteries for the most part are out of stock.
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:01 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,134 Posts
It'll sure be light and floaty with that 1800 in there. I use 2200 and 2500s and can't tell a huge difference. The 2500 is thinner so it's actually easier to get in and out.

My motor mount turned loose on the first flight this morning. Made an awful vibraty racket but luckily didn't do any damage to anything. Thought I got the good one. LOL Sure is a great all around flyer with a little work. I replaced the tail servos and supported the linkage on one side and used heavier linkage on the other side to get rid of the flex. I fly mine pretty hard at max throws. Will NOT fit in the backseat or trunk of my car though. I can fit 48" Skywings in it but not this plane, unfortunately. Gotta use the SUV for this one. Makes it a weekend flyer only instead of an everyday flyer. Maybe it'll have a longer lifespan that way.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:34 PM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grovey View Post
You talking about the elevator and rudder servos?

If you would be so kind could you link me to the firewall mod?

And lastly, which best bang for buck battery for this plane would you recommend? As per normal, Gens Ace batteries for the most part are out of stock.
I couldnt link the mod....use the "thread tools" at the top on the thread..... then "see attachments" you will get all the pictures that are in the thread....there are several on the first page showing a piece of plywood behind the firewall, under the battery hatch, and then two sheet metal or wood screws from the front through the plastic going into the ply. I used epoxy also under the wood for a strong bond. Also, make sure you put the screws as far out to the sides of the mount as possible, that way they won't be sticking in the middle where the battery might hit them....

yes it's the Elevator and Rudder servos that need to be replaced, there are several good ones out there....I used Hitec HS81's but there are many other good ones. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXN676

Batteries.... I have been using chinahobbyline batteries, so far they have been pretty good I use the 40c http://www.chinahobbyline.com/ProductShow.asp?id=2361 they also have a 30c thats only $19.95 right now http://www.chinahobbyline.com/ProductShow.asp?id=2048

Google is your friend .....
mjdee14 is offline Find More Posts by mjdee14
Last edited by mjdee14; Feb 03, 2013 at 09:37 PM. Reason: addition
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:27 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
grovey - I use Hobby King USA warehouse for almost all of my batteries. Fairly fast shipping, good prices, shipping cost is OK, and a good selection. Be SURE to use the USA warehouse, the Hong Kong shipping prices will kill you and also takes a LOOOONG time for delivery.

You said "So tempted to get this plane" ............... take a look at their Devil biplane. It is a lot sleeker, IMHO, and it is faster. My clubmate has the Peaks and my Devil pretty much outruns his Peaks. The Peaks has more drag in the airframe, so it is more docile. But the Devil does fly very nice even though it is fast, even at 1/2 throttle. Less power than that, it feels very sluggish. Give it some power and it comes to life!
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:23 PM
Chino, CA, US
Joined Feb 2001
31 Posts
Cant seem to Get CG right.

Hey guys, Took the Pitts out for a maiden this weekend, And have flown it 6 times overall and it is a very forgiving plane, and easy to fly, land and do some tricks with. but I think Im having some trouble getting the CG right, but maybe Im not and maybe im trying too hard.

I balanced the plane at 85mm before the maiden. That put the 2200MAH batt just a couple mm short of the firewall. During the maiden, I had some trim work to do. The plane wanted to angle slightly up the faster it went. And had to trim that out with a couple degrees of down elevator. I also tried moving the battery as far forward as it could go to get the nose to settle down. But this didn't seem to help.

Next flight I tried test CG by flying a 45 degree line and then rolling inverted. It dove for the ground (toward the canopy). That tells me that the CG is way too far forward, or at least thats what I read here in the groups. So i have been slowly pushing the battery back with each flight to try to get the inverted flight better. Now the battery is a couple inches back from he firewall, still have the problem but not as pronounced and seems to be getting better. I have mixed in some down elevator with the throttle to try and trim out the problem with the higher the throttle the more it wants to raise the nose.

So it seems that I have 2 things going on. I was told the nose raising during higher speed could be because the Engine does not have a slight angle down, or it could be the CG is too far back. But I tried moving the battery all the way forward and that didn't change this much. I could add weight to the nose, but I've also flown with the 2650 battery and that didn't change much either. however, in conflict I have the problem of when I invert it dives toward the ground. I have to put quite a bit of down elevator to hold level(same with 45 degree inverted.

So I'm just confused. To make matters worse, you guys and the manual all say the battery goes way forward, but the guy in the Nitroplanes video, clearly shows he flies with the battery way way back. Any thoughts.

Tom
T1Callahan is offline Find More Posts by T1Callahan
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:40 AM
Buffalos have wings
Vancouver Washington
Joined Nov 2007
2,047 Posts
I hate to bring this up again, but mine was doing the same thing yours is....You probably do have the CG right or at least on the nose heavy side, but you may want to add more down thrust to the motor, that is what fixed this issue with mine....I added a washer behind the two top motor mount screws between the motor and mount and it fixed this in mine....The plane comes with both down and right thrust factored into the mount, but it may not be enough in some planes, all have to be fine tuned......Hope this helps. Here is a link that discusses trimming your plane, toward the bottom it talks about down thrust.... http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/tri...-airplane.html
Tatonka is offline Find More Posts by Tatonka
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:20 AM
Chino, CA, US
Joined Feb 2001
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatonka View Post
I hate to bring this up again, but mine was doing the same thing yours is....You probably do have the CG right or at least on the nose heavy side, but you may want to add more down thrust to the motor, that is what fixed this issue with mine....I added a washer behind the two top motor mount screws between the motor and mount and it fixed this in mine....The plane comes with both down and right thrust factored into the mount, but it may not be enough in some planes, all have to be fine tuned......Hope this helps. Here is a link that discusses trimming your plane, toward the bottom it talks about down thrust.... http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/tri...-airplane.html
Thanks Ill have to figure out how to break into the Front cowling without destroying the plane or the look of it. it seems that its glued down pretty good. Good article too. So are you saying that by adding more downthrust, it fixed all your issues?
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:06 AM
Buffalos have wings
Vancouver Washington
Joined Nov 2007
2,047 Posts
The cowl is just held on with magnets, should come right off, in fact mine was too loose and I had to add more magnets to get it to stay put......Yes, after adding a little more down thrust, I could go from half throttle to full with no pitch up while flying level....Another good test is to go vertical under full power and let off the sticks. Plane should continue going straight up, if it tries to do a large inside loop, then it needs more down thrust, if it tries to do a large outside loop, then more up thrust is needed.......I just had to correct this same issue with a 3DHS Edge except it had too much down thrust and was pitching down under full throttle and doing the gradual outside loop while going verticle.
Tatonka is offline Find More Posts by Tatonka
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:57 AM
Chino, CA, US
Joined Feb 2001
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatonka View Post
The cowl is just held on with magnets, should come right off, in fact mine was too loose and I had to add more magnets to get it to stay put......Yes, after adding a little more down thrust, I could go from half throttle to full with no pitch up while flying level....Another good test is to go vertical under full power and let off the sticks. Plane should continue going straight up, if it tries to do a large inside loop, then it needs more down thrust, if it tries to do a large outside loop, then more up thrust is needed.......I just had to correct this same issue with a 3DHS Edge except it had too much down thrust and was pitching down under full throttle and doing the gradual outside loop while going verticle.
Thanks for your help. I thought i would have to do surgery to get in there, but you were right. it was stuck a bit wut with a bit of pressure, the cowling popped right off. Now I can experiment with down-force very easily.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:31 AM
If it flies, I can crash it!
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,154 Posts
My Peaks will be here Friday. I'm thinking about putting an Eagle Tree Guardian stabilizer in it. I can't wait to see this plane. The pictures and video are pretty cool. Looks like a great plane for the money.

Doug
djdavid60 is offline Find More Posts by djdavid60
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:12 AM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Well I finally got my Motor. Customs got ahold of it i guess.
Turnigy 3020B 600KV

Direct bolt up! The motor shaft is a touch long but I can shorten that.

More later!
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:04 PM
Florida,USA
Joined Feb 2011
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavid60 View Post
My Peaks will be here Friday. I'm thinking about putting an Eagle Tree Guardian stabilizer in it. I can't wait to see this plane. The pictures and video are pretty cool. Looks like a great plane for the money.

Doug

Why? That is not flying.
d_toolman is offline Find More Posts by d_toolman
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:17 PM
If it flies, I can crash it!
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_toolman View Post
Why? That is not flying.
Because I want to. And because I can. And last I checked, it's not an auto pilot, so it is flying. So there :P

But seriously, in windy conditions, it's really nice. Plus I can turn it off anytime I want to with the flick of a switch.
djdavid60 is offline Find More Posts by djdavid60
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:27 PM
Florida,USA
Joined Feb 2011
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavid60 View Post
Because I want to. And because I can. And last I checked, it's not an auto pilot, so it is flying. So there :P

But seriously, in windy conditions, it's really nice. Plus I can turn it off anytime I want to with the flick of a switch.
Cheat....LOL
d_toolman is offline Find More Posts by d_toolman