HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:00 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
Toolman - what do you do to counter the prop torque? Just use a lot of rudder every time you add power?

The test we/I use is to go vert with power on and it it pulls right I have too much right in the motor mount, and if it pulls left, then more right is needed.

Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:14 PM
Florida,USA
Joined Feb 2011
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
Toolman - what do you do to counter the prop torque? Just use a lot of rudder every time you add power?

The test we/I use is to go vert with power on and it it pulls right I have too much right in the motor mount, and if it pulls left, then more right is needed.

Don

Yep.... that is what the rudder was put on the plane for. If you don't shove the throttle all the way forward you will minimize the torque effect and can be over ridden by the rudder. That vertical test is the best way to tell but only if your rudder is in the neutral position... ie: no rudder trim before entering the vertical climb. One other factor is wing tip to wing tip balance. If one wing is slightly heavier than the other the plane will list to the heavier wing making you think there is a motor thrust problem. Also the heavier wing will tip stall first on slow landing. I always balance every plane wingtip to wingtip. My goal is to have a plane that requires no trim at all, then you know you have everything set right.
d_toolman is offline Find More Posts by d_toolman
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:02 PM
Threadliest Catch
United States, MO, St. Robert
Joined Jun 2012
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_toolman View Post
If you want to paint using water base paint (not latex because it is very heavy) go to Walmart, Hobby Lobby (the craft store) and get bottles of Acrylic artist paint... it is light weight and sticks very well to primed or pre painted surfaces. If you have an airbrush it is even better but do not thin the paint with water.... use airbrush thinner made for acrylic paint. The water breaks down the adhesive in the paint but the airbrush thinner adds adhesive to the paint while thinning enough to spray it through the airbrush.
If you want to make it stick better, you could brush it one with a foam brush and mix in some elmers glue and it will harden and stick real nice. They clear coat it with Polycrylic clear coat (lowes). Not very heavy at all.
Sooby22 is offline Find More Posts by Sooby22
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:01 PM
Buffalos have wings
Vancouver Washington
Joined Nov 2007
2,058 Posts
Quote:

Don
You can check down thrust when you go verticle also, not enough and plane wants to loop inside, not enough and plane tries to loop outside......Another test, fly level at about half throttle, then increase throttle to full....if plane pitches up, then you need more down thrust and vice versa
Tatonka is offline Find More Posts by Tatonka
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:07 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
I will bow out of this .... you guys have it a bit confused and will keep your opinions ... so I'm out.
Tatonka - if it is THAT far out of trim, well ..........
Toolman, you are confusing lateral balance with torque. Lateral balance will drop a wing, not pull the nose. "that is what the rudder was put on the plane for" no again. The rudder is actually for making coordinated turns. Where did you take your 1:1 flight lessons? RC or full size, controls are controls.
Boys, I'm outa here, IMHO you are blowing smoke and not worth a click.
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:33 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_toolman View Post
The stock prop is very flexible. The APC is much stiffer so you get better punch outs.
I removed all thrust from my motor. This allows for no trim and all surfaces to remain neutral.
so let me get this straight . if i fine tune the motor angle . i can eliminate all prop thrust .i am well aware of adjusting the motor mount to counter any ill effects. i adjust my motor mounts on my hi speed strykers/wings and funjets. ther a totally different monster altogether.but im brang them up to let you know about the adjusting ,the motor mounts to make a plane fly like its on rails , but im curious . about this on biplanes since there my favorite planes and ive always known them to have thrust issues (mainly on take off due to there short fuselage) .so am i correct in thinking that if i fiddle around enough with my motor mounts and adjust the mounts . i will have zero thrust .
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:51 AM
Florida,USA
Joined Feb 2011
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESANDMAN View Post
so let me get this straight . if i fine tune the motor angle . i can eliminate all prop thrust .i am well aware of adjusting the motor mount to counter any ill effects. i adjust my motor mounts on my hi speed strykers/wings and funjets. ther a totally different monster altogether.but im brang them up to let you know about the adjusting ,the motor mounts to make a plane fly like its on rails , but im curious . about this on biplanes since there my favorite planes and ive always known them to have thrust issues (mainly on take off due to there short fuselage) .so am i correct in thinking that if i fiddle around enough with my motor mounts and adjust the mounts . i will have zero thrust .
All I am saying is I remove all down and right thrust from my RC planes. They tend to fly better for me. If I do not punch the throttle on take off and do a scale run down the runway, I use rudder to keep her straight and have no ill effects of torque using this method. Sure you can torque roll if you pull the plane off of the ground while giving too much throttle with low airspeed. I do not like the looks of all that down and right thrust especially on a scale model so I remove it and compensate with the flying surfaces, mainly rudder on take off. This method may or may not work good for you but it works great for me.
d_toolman is offline Find More Posts by d_toolman
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:43 AM
Joined Oct 2010
1,707 Posts
i just wanted to make sure i understood what you meant . about eliminating the thrust . i completely understand now. sounds like a good idea . to be honest the torque effect on biplanes has taught me how to use the rudder to control a straight line take off on all my tail draggers .so trying out your technique isnt going to be a problem for me .im going to try your technique i like the idea . cheers
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:06 AM
Joined Oct 2010
1,707 Posts
Quote:
I will bow out of this .... you guys have it a bit confused and will keep your opinions ... so I'm out.
Toolman, you are confusing lateral balance with torque. Lateral balance will drop a wing, not pull the nose. "that is what the rudder was put on the plane for" no again. The rudder is actually for making coordinated turns. Where did you take your 1:1 flight lessons? RC or full size, controls are controls.
Boys, I'm outa here, IMHO you are blowing smoke and not worth a click.

it looks to me from this article that the rudder has alot of uses http://http://www.airbum.com/article...cleRudder.html
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:31 AM
Buffalos have wings
Vancouver Washington
Joined Nov 2007
2,058 Posts
Quote:
LOL, when I describe it as looping, I didn't mean A TIGHT loop, but more of a condition where it is pitching slightly up and would make a VERY large loop eventually I guess if not corrected.......I am just quoting info I have read over the years and been told by old experienced flyers at the field......Here is a example I found doing a quick search..... http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/tri...-airplane.html .......Describes right and left thrust trimming and DOWN thrust trimming with flight tests a little further down the page......I have always set my planes up this way, but it is a matter of personal preference.....I too have said enough on this issue.
Tatonka is offline Find More Posts by Tatonka
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:38 AM
Rotor Addict
United States, VA, Leesburg
Joined Dec 2008
567 Posts
Did some flying with my Peaks yesterday, we got a nice break from the winter weather.

Mike

Dynam Peaks (3 min 44 sec)
naryan is offline Find More Posts by naryan
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:05 AM
Ground Pounder
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Nov 2012
824 Posts
[QUOTE=naryan;23978709]Did some flying with my Peaks yesterday, we got a nice break from the winter weather.

Mike

Nice flying.
Gharddog03 is online now Find More Posts by Gharddog03
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:41 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,765 Posts
Working on my gear fix.
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:21 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleW View Post
Working on my gear fix.
Did similar to mine I mixed up slow dry epoxy and poured it in over HW block then tapped holes for 4mm screws.

Tim
w4yn is online now Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:36 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
555 Posts
Tearing It Up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by naryan View Post
Did some flying with my Peaks yesterday, we got a nice break from the winter weather.

Mike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my6dn...14gVSw&index=1
with that Peaks...

Mike,
Exciting footage there for sure. I'm guessing the pucker factor went through the roof a few times based on some of the full up elevator stuff I saw... Makin' me get all sentimental & I'm starting to miss my old Peaks now...well...maybe not all that much since I've got the Devil instead...

Was that a hat cam you used? Seemed like this footage was taken from the pilot's perspective, not by someone else watching you fly...
RCAV8T0R is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R