They had my Y conn. attached to the elevator and rudder leads, look there
Tatonka is offline Find More Posts by Tatonka
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:15 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,421 Posts
just found this thread after thinking i really want a bigger "beast". i love my beast but this is a great size. im drooling! these threads are great for the tweaks it needs to be perfect. thanks every one.
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:50 PM
Joined Nov 2012
10 Posts
question:
is http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...tt-p-2011.html
an adequate aftermarket replacement for the stock collett? or is that the same as stock?

I heard the stock one sucks and needs replacement.

Thanks for any insight.
Mojoem4n is offline Find More Posts by Mojoem4n
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:02 AM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
1,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojoem4n View Post
question:
an adequate aftermarket replacement for the stock collett? or is that the same as stock?

Thanks for any insight.
I fly the stock and have been for about 30 or so hard flights. Just get it tight. You could also scuff up the shaft a little to help it grip. It's hard to grab the prop and spinner to tighten the collet so I think people are leaving it too loose to start with. Good luck.
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:29 AM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,727 Posts
Quote:
question:

Thanks for any insight.
That is STOCK collett. File flat spots on two opposing sides of end of shaft (with nut on shaft)...then remove nut, and then install backplate, prop, washer & nut. Hold shaft with pliers and tighten securely.
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:03 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,119 Posts
Quote:
question:

Thanks for any insight.
Stcok was just OK, had some runout though, turned out the one from Dynam Waco was shorter and had zero run out. Seems I used an E-flite or PZ adaptor on Waco. One advantage to a more standard adaptor (if memory serves motor has 4 MM shaft) you can use MAS and APC props off the shelf with no reaming. Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:20 AM
Joined Aug 2010
245 Posts
Thanks for the help--there is no y connector to be found so ordered one from headsup. Last question(I hope)-- where did you mount your receiver?--Bo
bostomper is offline Find More Posts by bostomper
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:38 AM
Joined Feb 2009
1,727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostomper View Post
Thanks for the help--there is no y connector to be found so ordered one from headsup. Last question(I hope)-- where did you mount your receiver?--Bo
Mine is "velcroed" to the floor in the compartment aft of the battery compartment. I did not glue the lid in place...used strips of velcro after making shallow relief spots to allow for the additional thickness of the velcro material. Can't be seen from the exterior.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:44 AM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
1,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostomper View Post
Mine is a lightweight 6200 and I velcroed it to the aft cabane strut at the aft of the hatch. I agree the leads are short but after a tricky bind I don't have to deal with the Rx much.
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:00 AM
Joined Aug 2010
245 Posts
thanks guys--Bo
bostomper is offline Find More Posts by bostomper
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:10 AM
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Apr 2012
650 Posts
I'm surprised from the pics how far forward a lot of guys are putting the battery. Are you 3D-ing this far forward? I keep trying to get mine even more aft...screwed up last weekend where inflight it slid into the receiver compartment. That was a fun landing. Now it's velcroed all the way back.
TheMagician007 is online now Find More Posts by TheMagician007
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:00 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,119 Posts
Hanger Pals

These always go to field with me now.
Great flyers and bang for buck.
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:09 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,727 Posts
Is there any downthrust built in??

Why am I asking, you may be thinking!! Despite a rather breezy morning, I took it up for the maiden. Overall, the flight went very well, except for the landing. At about 3 ft off the runway, a sizeable gust of wind lifted the right wing and flipped the Pitts over and it landed upside down. Shaved off quite a bit of the top front edge of the cowl on the asphalt and broke one of the mounting posts on the spinner backplate as it smacked the runway at a slight nose-down attitude. I now notice that there appears to be a slight bit of downthrust. Not sure if there was any before the incident. Motor mount is still very secure, as I had modded it with a plywood backplate as a few others have done.

Anyway, when any of you folks get a chance, please let me know if you can notice any downthrust in your Pitts.

Thanks
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:38 PM
flying or crashing into air?
Australia, VIC, Langwarrin
Joined Feb 2011
1,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaguy View Post
Why am I asking, you may be thinking!! Despite a rather breezy morning, I took it up for the maiden. Overall, the flight went very well, except for the landing. At about 3 ft off the runway, a sizeable gust of wind lifted the right wing and flipped the Pitts over and it landed upside down. Shaved off quite a bit of the top front edge of the cowl on the asphalt and broke one of the mounting posts on the spinner backplate as it smacked the runway at a slight nose-down attitude. I now notice that there appears to be a slight bit of downthrust. Not sure if there was any before the incident. Motor mount is still very secure, as I had modded it with a plywood backplate as a few others have done.

Anyway, when any of you folks get a chance, please let me know if you can notice any downthrust in your Pitts.

Thanks
There is a bit of down thrust.
What I have noticed with this model is in light wind it is easy to land at low speed with little to no power.
When the wind picks up though it can be a handfull at low speeds close to the ground .
When its windy its best to land with power and fly it onto the ground .
I come in low at just under 1/4 throttle and do not power of until the wheels touch down
wizzard363 is online now Find More Posts by wizzard363
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:40 PM
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Apr 2012
650 Posts
Anyone know where I can get a new motor bracket for the plane? Grayson has a ton and not sure which one is correct...
TheMagician007 is online now Find More Posts by TheMagician007