HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:59 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steambc View Post
Just ordered my Peaks. I saw, somewhere in this thread, the specs for the Great Planes Set Screw prop Adaptor, but I'm unclear about the size needed. I saw a post where somebody said 5 mm motor shaft ot 8 mm prop shaft, but somehow that doesn't sound right.

Can someone please let me know what the proper size would be? Also, is there a better APC prop I can put on there?

Thanks!
Prop adaptor that came on mine on mine was fine I did drill out a APC 12x8 prop to 8 MM. the back of prop actually has an 8mm pilot already cast in hub.
Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:43 AM
Joined Oct 2007
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdee14 View Post
the little black holders that the screws go into.....6 out of the 19 or so are a little different and made for the scres to pass through....if you thought they were all the same and installed and glues fuse....you would be screwed.
This happened to me! I ended up using 1-5/8" drywall screws!

I took my time on the build but still made several mistakes. I got glue all over the place as well but I was able to make sure that EVERYTHING was glued and secured properly. I did all of the recommended mods and I simply love this bird.

Far from $130 but still worth it in the long run.
UniDaHero is offline Find More Posts by UniDaHero
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:21 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
872 Posts
Texs24- Nice paint and decals! Nice plane for the price isn't it?
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:14 PM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniDaHero View Post
This happened to me! I ended up using 1-5/8" drywall screws!

I took my time on the build but still made several mistakes. I got glue all over the place as well but I was able to make sure that EVERYTHING was glued and secured properly. I did all of the recommended mods and I simply love this bird.

Far from $130 but still worth it in the long run.
Yeah....a good manual for the kit would have been nice....I put my fuse together tonight and decided to use epoxy on the motor mount, wood plate behind MM. and landing gear braket....tapes all hole to keep epoxy out....then slowy used HOT glue to put the fuse halfs together. I tried the contact cement that came with it on a few extra foam pieces and I was not impressed with the holding power.

Maybe by us posting the problem with the black screw holders...it will prevent someone making the same mistake in the future.

REMEMBER.....there are holders that have to allow the screws to pass thru...like the bottom wing....rear two in the fuse to hold the tail on.....all others are smaller holes and the screws screw into them.

I was out flying the red, white , and blue one today....still flys great, but I'm anxious to get this one in the air and have a pristine model for a while....
mjdee14 is offline Find More Posts by mjdee14
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:54 PM
Joined Sep 2011
10 Posts
Dynam Peaks Breitling

Thanks for the all the positive comments about my Dynam Peaks Breitling biplane. I was so excited to share my photos. To answer a few questions, I made the decals using Photoshop and Avery clear labels for laser printers. The labels work better with dark letters on very light colors since the labels arenít perfectly clear. The cowl was painted on. I masked and used my airbrush to paint on the yellow. It is an awesome plane for the price. Thanks again for your comments! If you have any other questions, just ask!
texs24 is offline Find More Posts by texs24
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:10 AM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,062 Posts
What color yellow did you use, Tex? Plane looks great.
krexken is online now Find More Posts by krexken
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:37 AM
Joined Jul 2012
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4yn View Post
Prop adaptor that came on mine on mine was fine I did drill out a APC 12x8 prop to 8 MM. the back of prop actually has an 8mm pilot already cast in hub.
Tim
Is the motor shaft then correctly stated as 5 mm? That number seemed a little thick to me.
steambc is offline Find More Posts by steambc
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:49 AM
Suspended Account
Switzerland
Joined Aug 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by texs24 View Post
Thanks for the all the positive comments about my Dynam Peaks Breitling biplane. I was so excited to share my photos. To answer a few questions, I made the decals using Photoshop and Avery clear labels for laser printers. The labels work better with dark letters on very light colors since the labels aren’t perfectly clear. The cowl was painted on. I masked and used my airbrush to paint on the yellow. It is an awesome plane for the price. Thanks again for your comments! If you have any other questions, just ask!
I have the same labels. I just printed the color on the background of the label too. I use them for my Slow Stick, which my flying buddies like to do "combat". (New for me)
mikhail tupulov is offline Find More Posts by mikhail tupulov
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:43 PM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steambc View Post
Is the motor shaft then correctly stated as 5 mm? That number seemed a little thick to me.
5mm motor shaft and I believe a 8mm prop hole
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:25 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
837 Posts
Couple more nice flights with fantastic fall weather this evening.
Flew a bit over 5 minutes, charging battery now to see how much I used.
I used a bit over 1/2 throttle, wonderfully smooth and still goes straight up with nice verticle rolls even at half power!
Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:03 PM
Joined Sep 2011
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krexken View Post
What color yellow did you use, Tex? Plane looks great.
I used Tamiya Flat Yellow (XF-3). I had to lighten it up with Tamiya flat white because it appeared darker with the black cowling beneath. It doesn't quite match. It needs to be a bit brighter, but it'll do.
texs24 is offline Find More Posts by texs24
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:46 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,062 Posts
Thanks. I'm thinking about replacing the elevator with something straighter and need something close colorwise.
krexken is online now Find More Posts by krexken
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:01 PM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,254 Posts
Well, finally got the kit together....was a little miffed at Nitro....the kit came without the fake radial motor in the cowl...and also did not have the plastic inserts where the tail servos screw in.

I contacted Nitro and after several e mails was told the Radial facade does not come with the kit.....well the website says "everything but the electronics" They need to better explain the products on their website.....and "shame on Dynam" I used the Motor facade from my other bipe, but it ticks me off.

Used two coats of brushed on water based poly semi gloss. Also did the painted canopy....like the look and got rid of the pilot.....since he did a pretty "crappy" job of flying the other one. !
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:15 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,007 Posts
Shiny!!
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:33 PM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,254 Posts