Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:38 AM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberRC View Post
Hey Folks,
I've been thinking about this plane but I was wondering if it would fly well with 3300 4S packs? I'm mostly interested in sport/aerobatic flying and if I decide to get into 3D I'll pick up some lighter packs. For now I'd like to find a decent biplane to help ease me back into the hobby and I already have a couple of 3300's for a P-51 I'm building. Any thoughts?

Thanks....
IMHO I'd say they are too big. You will have to carve out space, probably so much that structural integrity may suffer. Also it will be heavy. I've been using 2200s and it does do 3 D (better with 1800). It is designed so nicely for the 2200 it would be too much mod for no real gain. If you flew sport with a 2200 in this plane you would get 7-10 mins out of a good 2200. I get 5-6 doing some pretty hard 3D. I realize you have the 3300 s but my vote would be get a few 2200s. Try ECO Power (in MA magazine). I have a few, they are only about $30 and are great so far. Good luck.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/brand.ph...FQpnOgodRzwAGA
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:53 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
IMHO I'd say they are too big. You will have to carve out space, probably so much that structural integrity may suffer. Also it will be heavy. I've been using 2200s and it does do 3 D (better with 1800). It is designed so nicely for the 2200 it would be too much mod for no real gain. If you flew sport with a 2200 in this plane you would get 7-10 mins out of a good 2200. I get 5-6 doing some pretty hard 3D. I realize you have the 3300 s but my vote would be get a few 2200s. Try ECO Power (in MA magazine). I have a few, they are only about $30 and are great so far. Good luck.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/brand.ph...FQpnOgodRzwAGA
Yes I would agree, I have some 3300 for there Waco and they fit fine in Waco but not very well in the Pitts. I believe 3300 have been flown in Waco and worked well. Have not flown my Waco still working on assembling and light mods.
Tim
w4yn is online now Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:56 AM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Sep 2012
131 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. I might consider the Waco instead.
GooberRC is offline Find More Posts by GooberRC
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:16 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the help guys. I might consider the Waco instead.
Just a note on the Peaks before you give up on it. I think you'll find the vast majority on this thread agree that this Peaks is a terrific value at the price + about 1-2 hours of mods (listed and pictured here). Flying- it is great ! I have flown this in up to 25mph gusts and it handles it fine, I have been really impressed so far. It will do the 3D for you if you choose to go there (I don't think the Waco will be very much help post stall and high alpha although I haven't flown it). For $160 delivered plus 30-60 on a couple 2200s you should be happy. Keep this in mind on the battery situation. If there is room in your P51 you could parallel any smaller (same cell count) batteries in it to use them. I do this on my 3DHS 48" Edge and it works fine using a parallel cord). I don't sell for Nitro or Dyam even though they should give many of us commission! But this is the best value foamie I've seen in a long time. Good luck and welcome back to the hobby. I re- entered a little less than a year ago. I've attached a funny pic of my car loaded with part of my current fleet (5, there are 2 EDFs in there too!) ready to go burn lipos!, Going a little nuts at 8 so far and looking at a 59" 3DHS slick! I told my wife I'd look for an RCers anonymous meeting soon.
Last edited by dth7; Oct 13, 2012 at 07:31 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:08 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,216 Posts
We are like minded got back in last year at 65 getting ready for retirement, have 12 UM's and 8 large foamies. Maidened Peaks but did a dumb thumb manover but she is ready to put in air today, tough birds!
Waco is in assembly my thoughts would be start with Waco as I believe it is a bit more forgiving and should be fun to fly by what others have said,
They are both winners in my book and great value, so you can always come back and pick up Peaks later! You can never have too many!

As a side note if you order a set of wings as spares or to fix booboos order the strut set also, wings come with any reinforcing (carbon strip will go in mine) and all the attachments like horns, strut mounting strips etc. You get a very naked wing! One + is you can tap strut strips for 3MM screws before glueing them in!

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
Just a note on the Peaks before you give up on it. I think you'll find the vast majority on this thread agree that this Peaks is a terrific value at the price + about 1-2 hours of mods (listed and pictured here). Flying- it is great ! I have flown this in up to 25mph gusts and it handles it fine, I have been really impressed so far. It will do the 3D for you if you choose to go there (I don't think the Waco will be very much help post stall and high alpha although I haven't flown it). For $160 delivered plus 30-60 on a couple 2200s you should be happy. Keep this in mind on the battery situation. If there is room in your P51 you could parallel any smaller (same cell count) batteries in it to use them. I do this on my 3DHS 48" Edge and it works fine using a parallel cord). I don't sell for Nitro or Dyam even though they should give many of us commission! But this is the best value foamie I've seen in a long time. Good luck and welcome back to the hobby. I re- entered a little less than a year ago. I've attached a funny pic of my car loaded with part of my current fleet (5, there are 2 EDFs in there too!) ready to go burn lipos!, Going a little nuts at 8 so far and looking at a 59" 3DHS slick! I told my wife I'd look for an RCers anonymous meeting soon.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:07 PM
Joined Sep 2012
131 Posts
Thanks for the additional feedback guys.

dth7 - What mods do you think are necessary on this ship? I'm reading about several different planes so it's hard to keep track of them. I'm guessing the prop needs to be replaced (no biggie) and perhaps the servos? The servos really can hurt a budget but flying with cheap servos can be a total loss just waiting to happen.

w4yn - I do like the looks of the Waco but it seems likely to also need some mods, especially the servos in the tail. It just seems that 9g servos back there is really not enough. Since you already have the kit in-hand, what do you think of the Waco quality?

It's funny - when I just started thinking about getting back into RC, my first thoughts were about how amazingly cheap PNP/PNF setups are. Then I started reading more and it seems like you're really taking your chances flying a PNP stock, but when you start doing things like replacing servos, adding UBEC etc, it starts to add up real fast. I was mere moments from ordering a Carbon-Z Yak just a couple days ago, but then I again started reading stories about failing servos etc. It's difficult to get a grip on all the options out there
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:28 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,707 Posts
[QUOTE=GooberRC;22992834]Thanks for the additional feedback guys.

dth7 - What mods do you think are necessary on this ship? I'm reading about several different planes so it's hard to keep track of them. I'm guessing the prop needs to be replaced (no biggie) and perhaps the servos? The servos really can hurt a budget but flying with cheap servos can be a total loss just waiting to happen.

w4yn - I do like the looks of the Waco but it seems likely to also need some mods, especially the servos in the tail. It just seems that 9g servos back there is really not enough. Since you already have the kit in-hand, what do you think of the Waco quality?

It's funny - when I just started thinking about getting back into RC, my first thoughts were about how amazingly cheap PNP/PNF setups are. Then I started reading more and it seems like you're really taking your chances flying a PNP stock, but when you start doing things like replacing servos, adding UBEC etc, it starts to add up real fast. I was mere moments from ordering a Carbon-Z Yak just a couple days ago, but then I again started reading stories about failing servos etc. It's difficult to get a grip on all the options out there [/QUOTE/]

i see it this way there cheap planes, so i expect to get cheap stuff in it. i try and get kits and install my own parts , usauly there cheap parts BUT better than what come in the reciever ready plane there selling . i do research on the plane or parts i put in. before i purchase the.that way i get my monies worth .i have cheap HK 9gram servos that cost me 3.00. which i have used on my 115 mph styker i have gone through two stykers and im still using those same servos. its all aout doing your homework and getting the best out of what your getting a cheap foam plane.
In my opion it not worth it to me to put a caste creation esc that can run over 100.00 or 40.00 servos on a plane that cost me 120.00 . i have only one plane that i think its worth getting hi quality stuff and thats what i put in it.
this pitts is a great plane . but i dont recomend hi quality part in it . get some power up 17gram metal gear servos .there around 8 bucks each some clone apc props from hobby king for around 1,50 each and call it a day
on a side note those clone apc cheap props from HK are waaaay better than the apc . i have apc props that i you ook at them wrong they chip at the ends . this is just my opion.
save alll those quality components for a quality biplane or plane
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:41 PM
Joined Sep 2012
131 Posts
That's good input Sandman - thanks.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:51 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the additional feedback guys.

It's funny - when I just started thinking about getting back into RC, my first thoughts were about how amazingly cheap PNP/PNF setups are. Then I started reading more and it seems like you're really taking your chances flying a PNP stock, but when you start doing things like replacing servos, adding UBEC etc, it starts to add up real fast. I was mere moments from ordering a Carbon-Z Yak just a couple days ago, but then I again started reading stories about failing servos etc. It's difficult to get a grip on all the options out there
Well,
You are taking advantage of the big benefit of this website- gaining insight through others experiences. You are correct, a stock foam airplane (for the most part) is designed to be adequately equipped and adequately powered. If they put higher quality power and servo setups in them they wouldn't be selling for $130. I have EDFs that will fly on 3S but only marginally, much better with 4S and that usually means upgrading the esc. I will upgrade using a less expensive esc (try headsuprc.com) and it has worked fine. I have not changed servos yet on the Peaks, they seem to be holding up to my 3 D flying- KE spins, blenders, KE loops, etc. In all my planes I have only stripped one servo (on a Tech One Yak 54, the aileron, replaced with an inexpensive Emax MG, no probs since). The stock Dynam prop was just fine, I just went with wood for looks, however it does perform better too, Master Air Screw 13x6 (needed some tape to balance). The planes I do go first class on are the balsa. I have a 48" Edge that I went with the cheaper Emax MG. I learned my lesson. They had just enough (very little) play to cause major flutter on the ailerons. I was lucky not to lose a wing. I did go with Hitec HS 65 mg all around for that $200 model. Performance is much better. I am getting a 59" 3DHS SLick and will get the recommended Hitec servos but will use an ESC from Headsup hobby (Sky Power that is $ 60 cheaper). Would I do that for the Dynam Peaks- no. I would however go with a cheaper MG if need be. I try to keep the mid size foamies under $200 ready to fly (plane and batt). You can go nuts with components if you want but then you defeat the purpose of buying the foam plane and should just go balsa. IMHO
One last point. The landing gear seems to be the common weak link with park flyers and larger foamies. The Carbon Z falls into this. Flies great but gear is "soft". if yiu look at all the videos they are all flying off pavement and thats what they are designed for. If you plan to fly off grass- mods are usually necessary. The Peaks gear stiffness is fine but the 2 screw mount is not enough, you have to epoxy it is as well.
Mods for Peaks IMHO that are a must- gear, batt hold downs, stronger magnets on hatch, motor mount reinforced, pushrod guides on rudder and elevator, the gloss finish, wood prop are more cosmetic. All these are pictured earlier in the thread. Go to the "thread tools" drop down menus near the page selection and go to "thread attachments" to see all the photos on the thread. You can also search "mods". Good luck and I Hope this helps.
Last edited by dth7; Oct 14, 2012 at 04:35 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:09 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,216 Posts
[quote=thesandman;22993750]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooberrc View Post
thanks for the additional feedback guys.

dth7 - what mods do you think are necessary on this ship? I'm reading about several different planes so it's hard to keep track of them. I'm guessing the prop needs to be replaced (no biggie) and perhaps the servos? The servos really can hurt a budget but flying with cheap servos can be a total loss just waiting to happen.

w4yn - i do like the looks of the waco but it seems likely to also need some mods, especially the servos in the tail. It just seems that 9g servos back there is really not enough. Since you already have the kit in-hand, what do you think of the waco quality?
I changed servos in peaks tail, but would probably not do that again, i believe the stock tail servos were more like 30 oz/in the 9g's are in wing, but i am no servo expert.
Tim
it's funny - when i just started thinking about getting back into rc, my first thoughts were about how amazingly cheap pnp/pnf setups are. Then i started reading more and it seems like you're really taking your chances flying a pnp stock, but when you start doing things like replacing servos, adding ubec etc, it starts to add up real fast. I was mere moments from ordering a carbon-z yak just a couple days ago, but then i again started reading stories about failing servos etc. It's difficult to get a grip on all the options out there [/quote/]

i see it this way there cheap planes, so i expect to get cheap stuff in it. I try and get kits and install my own parts , usauly there cheap parts but better than what come in the reciever ready plane there selling . I do research on the plane or parts i put in. Before i purchase the.that way i get my monies worth .i have cheap hk 9gram servos that cost me 3.00. Which i have used on my 115 mph styker i have gone through two stykers and im still using those same servos. Its all aout doing your homework and getting the best out of what your getting a cheap foam plane.
In my opion it not worth it to me to put a caste creation esc that can run over 100.00 or 40.00 servos on a plane that cost me 120.00 . I have only one plane that i think its worth getting hi quality stuff and thats what i put in it.
This pitts is a great plane . But i dont recomend hi quality part in it . Get some power up 17gram metal gear servos .there around 8 bucks each some clone apc props from hobby king for around 1,50 each and call it a day
on a side note those clone apc cheap props from hk are waaaay better than the apc . I have apc props that i you ook at them wrong they chip at the ends . This is just my opion.
Save alll those quality components for a quality biplane or plane
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:38 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,216 Posts
Re-maidened today, used low rates and just enough power for smooth takeoff. I was using 2600 4 cell this time, I had battery centered in battery well. I did need to add fair amount of down elevator though.
Did a few flybys loops rolls (way cool) endelmans etc all very smooth would go straight up from level at 1/2 throttle into nice stall and smooth wing over. Kept 1/2 throttle most of flight and landing was slow and level, kept going and going I barley touched end of runway and slow nose over in grass, small wheels do not like grass!
No issues, battery was warm not hot I did pull some paint around battery cover even with 2 coats of clear. I taped hatch as insurance, anyone found a paint match??
Likin it a lot not sure when I will be brave enough to try full throws!
Tim
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:18 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,695 Posts
w4yn - congrats on the remaiden Full throws is not that bad, just make sure to have lots of EXPO dialed in. I started with 60% and then went from there.

Kman
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:37 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24 View Post
w4yn - congrats on the remaiden Full throws is not that bad, just make sure to have lots of EXPO dialed in. I started with 60% and then went from there.

Kman
This is my first high current draw plane, 2600's were about 3/4 or more gone in 4 minutes charging now and will know results later.
Guess I am used to UM and PZ foamies!
Would 3300's be too much weight up front?
They fit but snug!
Tim
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:26 AM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,324 Posts
Man.....I have already said it but the kit has NOTHING put together, if I had it to do over I would buy the complete a/c and have a spare motor and esc for another $30 bucks. Even the fuse was not glued together.....the good news is you can easily do the motor mount and gear mod to strengthen them real easy.

Did I tell you that NOTHING is glued......all the magnets, spar, wing attachments, etc.

It does make you feel like your "Building" and airplane and not just buying a foamy....so I guess it's not all bad. Installed hinges on all control surfaces while I was at it.

will have to swap everything out of the red white and blue one some time in the future....
mjdee14 is offline Find More Posts by mjdee14
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:45 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdee14 View Post
Man.....I have already said it but the kit has NOTHING put together, if I had it to do over I would buy the complete a/c and have a spare motor and esc for another $30 bucks. Even the fuse was not glued together.....the good news is you can easily do the motor mount and gear mod to strengthen them real easy.

Did I tell you that NOTHING is glued......all the magnets, spar, wing attachments, etc.

It does make you feel like your "Building" and airplane and not just buying a foamy....so I guess it's not all bad. Installed hinges on all control surfaces while I was at it.

will have to swap everything out of the red white and blue one some time in the future....
It does say "Kit" doesn't it! Just sayin.