HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:54 AM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdeth View Post
I put a freshly charged 3 cell pack in the plane and powered it up holding it vertical by the top wing and gagged the throttle.
It wanted to slightly pull out of my hand, but after the initial top charge came off it would just hold its own weight with no upward pull.
Yes, I'm sure I could fly it with the 3 cell, but I know I would be disappointed.
Plus, I don't feel like trying to balance it with the 3 cell and have to balance again with the 4 cell.
Can't wait for the new packs to get here so I can experience all the fun you all have.

SOON !
Jim
Jim, I sense a slight obsession with weight! You don't work for RC "Jenny Craig" or "Weight Watchers" do you. Now teasing with a 3 cell! It's quite floaty with 2200 4 cells in it (IMHO). Try the "Ecopower" 4s 2200 from AMainhobby.com. It's very compact (close to the size and wt of a 3S). It gives good punch and run time of +5 mins with moderate to high usage. I'm using it my 64mm EDFs too (airfield F18 and Stinger 64). I also threw in a 1600 4 cell and managed about 4 minutes. I wouldn't get too anorexic!

3D question for anyone- just wired pop tops on sim. Used all the the mono planes (extra 300, msx, yak 54 etc. I tried with the biplanes (Python, normal Pitts,etc), no as good due to weight and drag. Has anyone had any luck pulling off a good poptop with the Peaks? Maybe it's me?
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:01 AM
Team Broke
Orlando/ Winter Garden, FL
Joined Feb 2003
5,671 Posts
Pop Top ???
I haven't heard of that one.... please describe !

Jim
fishdeth is offline Find More Posts by fishdeth
Last edited by fishdeth; Sep 29, 2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 02:40 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Pop Top ???
I haven't heard of that one.... please describe !

Jim
BoneDoc's 3D Clinic #22: The Pop Top (5 min 54 sec)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=Ji0UoD0sCs8

A little harder with the biplanes but pretty impressive with the 3D mid wings (Edge 540, Extras, Slicks, etc) I have an 48" Edge 540 from 3DHS that is real nice! I've been trying to work it out on the RF6 using the Python Pitts.

Check out those Ecopower 4 cells.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:44 PM
Team Broke
Joined Feb 2003
5,671 Posts
Awesome... I'll have to try that !
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:02 AM
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Apr 2012
660 Posts
Thanks for posting this!!!
TheMagician007 is offline Find More Posts by TheMagician007
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:24 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Avllino View Post
Thanks for posting this!!!
No worries. There are several others on Youtube including an entire series from Bone Doc- Flies for 3DHS (just search Bone Doc 3D) and Michael Wargo flies for Hobby King and Precision RC (usually find him on the Hobby King tutorials). I learned many of my 3D maneuvers from these guys. Lots of practice on RF6 to save on broken foam, Balsa and CA!!!! Also would highly recommend an EPP foam "practice" plane. I have a Tech One 1100mm Yak 54 and it was the best $120 I've spent. Only thing the light EPPs don't do so well is spins since they are so light and floaty but everything else, you name it. They have the feel of a bigger, heavier plane.
Enjoy and fly low (when you watch Bone Doc, you'll see where I got that phrase!)

Sorry for going off topic but we got on the 3D stuff and practice.

Back to the Peaks. I'll post a pic bu yesterday I couldn't fly so I decided to "shine up" the Peaks! Krylon latex Clear Gloss finish spray acrylic really dresses this thing up and helps seal the foam and protect the decals. I used it on my Stinger 64 EDF and it works great! The Peaks foam required a light brushing in on the first coat. I'll post a couple photos in a while.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:36 AM
Team Broke
Joined Feb 2003
5,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
Back to the Peaks. I'll post a pic bu yesterday I couldn't fly so I decided to "shine up" the Peaks! Krylon latex Clear Gloss finish spray acrylic really dresses this thing up and helps seal the foam and protect the decals. I used it on my Stinger 64 EDF and it works great! The Peaks foam required a light brushing in on the first coat. I'll post a couple photos in a while.
Please do, very interested !
The current finish really holds fingerprints and smudges.
I always feel like I have to wash my hands before handling that flat finish.

Jim
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:17 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Please do, very interested !
The current finish really holds fingerprints and smudges.
I always feel like I have to wash my hands before handling that flat finish.

Jim
As requested. You all have the before! Here is the after!
I used Krylon latex Clear gloss spray- Michaels $7. Did 2 coats. First coat went on foam a little bubbly (no roughing up foam, you don't want to do that!) so I used a synthetic brush and gently brushed it smooth. Don't get nervous when you se the milky white on the foam, that goes away when it dries. Second coat was better, adhering to first coat. Required minimal brushing. Looks great IMHO! Good luck. May even make it a little more aerodynamic! This model is really a great value at the price most paid!
Last edited by dth7; Sep 30, 2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:03 PM
Get It? - Got It!
Hawaii
Joined Oct 2007
458 Posts
I read about the suggestion of checking the motor mount for tightness or modification, but how do you access the motor mount, since the front cowl is glued into place?
Thanks
Maverickk is offline Find More Posts by Maverickk
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:20 PM
United States, UT, Saratoga Springs
Joined Mar 2010
456 Posts
Front cowl is held on with magnets.
the_walrus is offline Find More Posts by the_walrus
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:39 PM
Get It? - Got It!
Hawaii
Joined Oct 2007
458 Posts
Aha - Thanks
Maverickk is offline Find More Posts by Maverickk
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:36 PM
Team Broke
Joined Feb 2003
5,671 Posts
Still waiting for my batteries to arrive.
Tinted the canopy and glued it back on this evening.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:51 PM
Team Broke
Joined Feb 2003
5,671 Posts
I had glued in 4 of those rare earth magnets and had put a piece of doubled tape on each side right in line, and as wide as the silver stripe that goes around the hatch.
Those magnets are SO freakin strong that when I pulled up on the tape to remove the hatch they held SO good that it was wrinkling the silver stripe and before too long, the tape broke.
So I glued a scrap of CF rod on the inside of the hatch and let it stick out about 1/4".
It is right in front of the magnet and under the steel piece that the magnet sticks to.
Had to cut a little notch in the fuse so it would close all the way.
Hold the plane down by the spinner and lift the CF rod with one finger.
I put it right in line with the black paint line and you can barely notice it.

Jim
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:02 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,002 Posts
[QUOTE=fishdeth;22887185]I had glued in 4 of those rare earth magnets and had put a piece of doubled tape on each side right in line, and as wide as the silver stripe that goes around the hatch.
Those magnets are SO freakin strong that when I pulled up on the tape to remove the hatch they held SO good that it was wrinkling the silver stripe and before too long, the tape broke.
So I glued a scrap of CF rod on the inside of the hatch and let it stick out about 1/4".
It is right in front of the magnet and under the steel piece that the magnet sticks to.
Had to cut a little notch in the fuse so it would close all the way.
Hold the plane down by the spinner and lift the CF rod with one finger.
I put it right in line with the black paint line and you can barely notice it.
Jim[/QUOTE

First those hatches won't stay on now they won't come off! Did you see what I did Jim? Go back a few pages, there are photos. You did more work than I did. I hope those batts come in soon so you can stop tweaking this thing and go fly it.
I added RE magnets one fwd, one aft on opposite sides then CAd scotch tape over then so they wouldn't pull out. My pull is a small zip tie CAd in on top front of hatch. I CAd the edges on either side so when I pull up I don't crunch the foam too much. Your idea was a good work around too. Now wait for the batteries then go fly it. No more tweaks! LOL

Ps. What did you think about the clear coat?
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:04 PM
Team Broke
Joined Feb 2003
5,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
[/QUOTE

Ps. What did you think about the clear coat?
That will be my last tweak.
Looks GREAT !