HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2012, 05:15 PM
Joined May 2005
1,113 Posts
Any one compare this against the Dynam Wako?
GetterDragun is offline Find More Posts by GetterDragun
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:45 PM
Team Broke
Orlando/ Winter Garden, FL
Joined Feb 2003
5,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_walrus View Post
Jim,
You might consider getting a few servo lead extensions so you can mount the Rx in the battery compartment where it it accesible.

Where mine is mounted now I will have to remove the wings in order to get to it. Not ideal by any means.

Justin
I thought about that, but if you don't have to add any extensions you have eliminated 2 more potential fail points... plus the weight.
(Plus I don't feel like running to the LHS)
I cut a notch in the foam right down to the spar and put a piece of velcro there to hold the Rx.
then I cut a slit on each side of the hole that looks back toward the servos and put the servo wires on one side and the satellite Rx wire on the other side, pulling up most of the slack on each so the wires pretty much stay on their own side not flopping all over each other.
I tied a piece of string to the servo wire slack and pulled it and the throttle wire into their own slots in the Rx hatch area.
I then put a dab of the glue that came with the kit on a screwdriver and pushed into all 4 slits I cut.
That leaves the Rx wire all alone facing front to rear and the satellite wire up and down.
Should be good reception.
I think I can even get the bind plug in there if I need to re-bind.

Jim
fishdeth is offline Find More Posts by fishdeth
Last edited by fishdeth; Sep 23, 2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:53 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,253 Posts
Very creative solution there Fishdeth...

I assume you like to kill fish then?
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:56 PM
Team Broke
Joined Feb 2003
5,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
Very creative solution there Fishdeth...

I assume you like to kill fish then?
Thanks,
Yea, fishin is my other passion besides aviation.
Like to EAT them !
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:12 PM
Team Broke
Joined Feb 2003
5,671 Posts
The wife and I went to the anual Cocoa Beach Air Show today and there was a Pitts S2C performing there.
Was a very exciting show he put on !
He was fast but I caught a few pics.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:16 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,253 Posts
I don't know how those guys do that acro stuff and keep their orientation

VERY fun to watch them though!
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:06 AM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualizerent View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntnJZYdkkuQHere's a little background/instructional vid. I put together.

Illustrates a comprehensive flight control check.

OK got it! finally figgered out how to properly embed the video.
Nice videos, this one and the flt vid. You might try some pushrods guides on elevator and rudder to stiffen them up at the max throws. There are pics on this thread of all the mods. I use to teach in the Mudry Cap 10 b and would love to find a model of it if anyone knows where I could find it.
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:00 AM
FireHawx
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Oct 2011
1,084 Posts
FireHawx is offline Find More Posts by FireHawx
Last edited by FireHawx; Sep 23, 2012 at 10:00 AM. Reason: ............
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:02 AM
FireHawx
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Oct 2011
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by naryan View Post
Mine showed up yesterday...

And today it's waiting to fly!

How long did shipping take from NP. Some of my orders w/them have come quick and some take 2weeks+...
FireHawx is offline Find More Posts by FireHawx
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:17 AM
United States, UT, Saratoga Springs
Joined Mar 2010
452 Posts
Mine took about 4 days.
the_walrus is offline Find More Posts by the_walrus
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:29 AM
"Spark Chaser"
United States, WI, Middleton
Joined Jun 2004
349 Posts
just returned from maiden flight of Pitts

I picked up one of these from Nitroplanes a few weeks ago. I was on vacation for a bit, but I finally got a chance to assemble and fly the Pitts yesterday.

I got the yellow and black ARF version. I made sure to loctite the motor screws, and added a 'safety' rubber band around the battery hatch. Glued the hatch over the wing struts. No extensions, just plugged all the cables into my RX and positioned it where it fit. So pretty much stock. I found with my 4S 2200 35c packs full throttle static w/ the stock 13x6 prop it was pulling 36A. Balance was pretty close to the recommended 90mm with my packs all the way forward.

Went out to my local club field early today before the expected winds picked up. Wind was probably around 5 to 7 MPH. Take off was easy. Needed some down trim, but otherwise flew great. Yellow and black is good color scheme for maintaining orientation in the air.

Seemed a bit overly responsive in roll, so I landed and turned that down (for low rates). I have a DX8, so I've setup low, medium and high rates. I've got low setup for a roll rate around 1 roll per second or so. I only flew on low and medium rates, and I though the Pitts responded very nicely. High rates will be for 3D, and is full throws. From the looks of it, the rudder and elevator should have enough travel for 3D. Not certain about ailerons.

I did all the standard stuff; loops, rolls, cubans, stall turn, hammerheads, snaps, knife-edge. Very solid performance. Nice and clean lines. I only did one inverted flat spin, it turned out OK. Will need to spend some more time learning the feel of the plane before I attempt more.

Both landings were text book. Landed nice and smooth on the fabric runway we have at the field. Did a smooth low approach, and kept the power on about 25%. Then slowly dialed the throttle back to bring it in.

Another experienced pilot that was watching my flights said "it looks like it flies light". I agree, it feels like a nice low wing loading which makes it handle and land very nicely.

Like most biplanes, it has higher drag so you do need to keep a bit more throttle on in the turns. I also found that like other biplanes I've flown, it takes some rudder and aileron for turns to look nice. I also noticed that on some higher speed dives you got a fun whistling sound. I'm guessing this is the wind blowing through the struts.

My only complaint is that the included spinner isn't solidly installed (IMHO), and I think it is not balanced. I did of course balance the prop. Might need to replace that with an alternative spinner. Any suggestions?

All in all a very good value for <$150 shipped to my house. Just wish that they would include 'scale' decals. The 'PEAKS' logo is just not my style.
jokeane is online now Find More Posts by jokeane
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Le Fish aerobatic slope glider
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:44 AM
United States, WI, Mazomanie
Joined Feb 2009
10 Posts
I pretty much agree with your assessment of the Peaks. The spinner was crap out of the box and the decals were hokey. But she was a strong performer and flew wonderfully till a radio brownout and full speed nosedive into a neighboring soy bean field.
Anton53560 is offline Find More Posts by Anton53560
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:40 PM
Team Broke
Joined Feb 2003
5,671 Posts
Well I couldn't stand it because I had this CF tube laying around and I extracted the FG one from the bottom wing and replaced it with the CF.
The CF is about 2" shorter on each wing panel, but will give the needed support.
As I picked the plane up under the bottom wing, it had a little flex.
The fiberglass spar is VERY hard to break in two but it is very flexible.
This should prevent the wings from bowing during hi G maneuvers.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:48 PM
Team Broke
Joined Feb 2003
5,671 Posts
So far the weight loss is:
pilot -30g
spar -20g
tail linkage -8g
struts -22g
flying wire -8g
bottom spar -12g
So far, 100 grams or 3.6 ounces.

I think maybe this would allow me to order the 2650 Ma 4 cell packs ???
I could get some nice long flight times !
Any thoughts ???
Last edited by fishdeth; Sep 23, 2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:50 PM
United States, UT, Saratoga Springs
Joined Mar 2010
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokeane View Post
I also noticed that on some higher speed dives you got a fun whistling sound. I'm guessing this is the wind blowing through the struts.

My only complaint is that the included spinner isn't solidly installed (IMHO), and I think it is not balanced. I did of course balance the prop. Might need to replace that with an alternative spinner. Any suggestions?
I get the whistling sound as well. It's kinda cool.

My stock spinner was off balance. I replaced it with a 2 inch Dubro unit from the LHS. They had a few colors to choose from so I got red to match my plane. It is a solid piece and now I can run up to full throttle with no balance issues at all.

Justin
the_walrus is offline Find More Posts by the_walrus