HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:08 PM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHawx View Post
Following the thread, I am looking for something new to fly. I've be flying EDF for about 2 years now and this has "Peaked" my interest. You can only go so fast and my batteries have short life cycles. Still on the fence?? I'm looking for a challenge/fun. The last prop plane I flew was corsair and it seemed to be in slow motion in the air...Can you really tear up the sky with this one?
Just like the_walrus states, this bird is pretty fast, but not EDF fast.

I'm still relatively new (3 yrs) but I fly just about everything you can put in the air, personally I find EDF's to be kinda boring, zoom here, zoom there, get in a loop and a roll, throw in a high alpha here and there, but than in less than 3 minutes land her. The only thing that brings up my adrenaline with EDFs now is getting more speed to well just go back and forth in circuits again.

Personally I find these Acrobatic/3D planes to be more challenging and fun. I started learning to hover and do mild 3d on this pitts/peaks and boy there were times my adrenaline was pumping soo hard after just one flight I called it a day with shaky hands! But than the next day I would just fly her around so calm and relaxing, large loop here, stall turn there etc ... all taking my time.

Tho where Im at, nothing draws in a crowd like an EDF, seems people here love large warbirds, loudish EDFs and my Pitts.
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:25 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,707 Posts
i love jets .i have an F4 an F18 70mm they look sooo cool and when set up with a hi speed system it compliments the look. the only draw back is that it takes so much money to get one to go pass the 100mph mark. and not to mention the flight times always leave you wanting more . i take mine out once in a while ,now the pitts is a different beast . i take it with me everytime i go out . my go to plane used to be my funcub , this ship has taken the spot . i never thought any plane would do that to my funcub
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:35 PM
FireHawx
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Oct 2011
1,331 Posts
Well I really thank all of you for the input, I'm SOLD. Now just a couple days till my $$$ is right and it will be in the mail. I totally agree with you all, you can only go fast in circles and loops so many times. But the speed rush is GREAT!! I may even use this as an opportunity to thin out my hanger to fund the new project. Outta my 19 jets I fly the same 4-5 all the time. I will continue to follow the thread and update on my progress.
FireHawx is offline Find More Posts by FireHawx
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:51 PM
United States, UT, Saratoga Springs
Joined Mar 2010
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queadlunnrau View Post
...seems people here love large warbirds, loudish EDFs and my Pitts.
Check, check, and check!
the_walrus is offline Find More Posts by the_walrus
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:56 PM
Joined Mar 2010
458 Posts
Quote:
Well I really thank all of you for the input, I'm SOLD. Now just a couple days till my $$$ is right and it will be in the mail. I totally agree with you all, you can only go fast in circles and loops so many times. But the speed rush is GREAT!! I may even use this as an opportunity to thin out my hanger to fund the new project. Outta my 19 jets I fly the same 4-5 all the time. I will continue to follow the thread and update on my progress.
Welcome aboard.

Really you only have one decision to make with this plane: red or yellow

PS: the red ones are faster!
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:41 AM
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Apr 2011
215 Posts
But the Yellow one looks waaaayy cooler
1111Mavrick is offline Find More Posts by 1111Mavrick
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:49 PM
Joined Oct 2007
56 Posts
After learning about these cool push-rod connectors instead of the plastic clevis thingies, I decided to install some on ailerons,.....

This made me realize that when there is no load on the servos, the travel is great, when the push-rods are connected travel is only about 70%! This has to be common issue and a good reason why the bird does not roll fast. Although, the aileron servos has not failed, they are definitely not up to the task...

Such a shame because I epoxied mines in and I believe the only way to get them out is to rip the foam out.

Any-who, I swapped out the stock push rods with music wire and great planes push-rod connectors and it made a very noticeable difference! Although the servos still doesn't travel as far as they do with load off, they seems to work better with the music wire and quik connects. I could also move the push-rod to the middle whole on the control horns! I could not do this with stock push-rod because the servo would just bind.

I also purchased longer servo arms for the hs82mgs. YEAH BABY now we are cooking! I SOOOOOOO want to change out the aileron servos now for hs56mgs with longer servo arms to get the proper travel for the ailerons now that I know better.

I also used .062 music wire and quik connectors for the linkage rods from the lower wing to the top.

I also yanked the y-harness off of the ailerons and set them up for dual ailerons! Sub trimming each servo and adjusting the left and right properly gave me a good speed boost! I could never get them right at first because the stock push-rod and clevis were just too short. Didn't think the difference would be so noticeable....

I am learning a-lot tweaking this plane but I still think I am a ARF kinda guy!

What do you guys use to install servos in a plane like this?
UniDaHero is offline Find More Posts by UniDaHero
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:51 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniDaHero View Post
What do you guys use to install servos in a plane like this?
A little hot glue...
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:05 PM
Team Broke
Orlando/ Winter Garden, FL
Joined Feb 2003
5,671 Posts
FINALLY got my receiver today !
I am gonna put the sattellite Rx in a little slot I cut at the hole in the bottom of the fuse.
fishdeth is offline Find More Posts by fishdeth
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:15 PM
Team Broke
Orlando/ Winter Garden, FL
Joined Feb 2003
5,671 Posts
Question....Where are all of you mounting the receiver ?
The aileron servo leads are pretty short where they come off the wing.
I have them plugged directly into the receiver and this is the only position it would allow mounting the receiver.
The antenna would be right under the battery ?

Thanks
Jim
fishdeth is offline Find More Posts by fishdeth
Last edited by fishdeth; Sep 21, 2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:13 PM
Joined Mar 2010
458 Posts
Jim,
You might consider getting a few servo lead extensions so you can mount the Rx in the battery compartment where it it accesible.

Where mine is mounted now I will have to remove the wings in order to get to it. Not ideal by any means.

Justin
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:39 AM
FireHawx
Joined Oct 2011
1,331 Posts
I gotta go with the YELLOW........
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:23 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,707 Posts
Quote:
I gotta go with the YELLOW........
they both look hot . i have both and i cant say i like one color more than the other . but the yellow one flies sooo much better but the red flies faster or so it seems
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Sep 22, 2012, 05:20 PM
FireHawx
Joined Oct 2011
1,331 Posts
Well, I just pushed the buy button after moving out a few Jets on RCG.. What a great day!!!!!
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:08 PM
Rotor Addict
United States, VA, Leesburg
Joined Dec 2008
567 Posts
Mine showed up yesterday...

And today it's waiting to fly!

naryan is offline Find More Posts by naryan