United States, VA, Leesburg
Joined Dec 2008
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdeth View Post
honeybadger ???
Splain please....
Audio NSFW...or around kids...

The Crazy Nastyass Honey Badger (original narration by Randall) (3 min 21 sec)
naryan is offline Find More Posts by naryan
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:50 AM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8T0R View Post
... is what she is...

Hey Peaks Fans,

This is an amazing plane. By far my most favorite one & I have had (& still do have) a few. Does just about anything you can throw at her & she doesn't complain. She just evokes confidence. She'll float on barely any power, streak at full throttle, tumble wildly like a gymnast, cruise smoothly like you're out for a Sunday drive & then make you look like a champ because she's so easy to land...

Probably the most welcomed feature of this ship is how she handles the wind, & I'm not talkin' about gentle breezes either. I've flown the Peaks 42 in some really windy conditions, with stronger gusts on top of that, that would've grounded all of my other ships. But not this one. So nice to have a plane in the fleet that does this.. She's a blast to fly & isn't afraid of being tossed around. She's become my go-to 'warm down' ship so I can keep that silly grin on my face for days until I get my next once-a-week chance to fly (her) again. Just what I need for my "RC addiction."

Can't wait for the weekend...
I #$%^&& crashed again landing.....little windy and when making the turn for landing....she "Fell out of the sky"......I have never had an airplane that I have stalled so many times in my life......for some reason this airplane just has a funny tendancy to stall i turning too sharply with too little power. BUT....this thing is built like a tank.....little ca and she is as good as new.....falling from about 30 ft straight on the spnner, pushed the nose back....lossened the motor mount, broke the wings in a couple of places, but other than that...it was in great shape., its amazing to see where the paint crinkles off due to stress.....this would have Destroyed a balsa airplane....but it is as good as new and I got to finally do the motor mount mod and install hinges on all surfaces......now I just need to remember.....POWER-POWER-POWER....
mjdee14 is online now Find More Posts by mjdee14
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:52 AM
United States, CA, Nevada City
Joined Sep 2012
11 Posts
Here's my Dynam Peaks maiden flight(s) video w/ GoPro velcroed between upper wing and fues. Pretty rough flying, 30 + year absence from 4ch r/c.

The airport in background was closed for construction, flew w/ permission.

Regarding landings, I used to own a full scale Pitts S1C. I land this model the same, see vid. Tight,steep,(fast) power off-turning pattern to a quick full stall flare. Full aft elev on roll out.
Biplane design-Excess speed bleeds off quick in flare.

Out of the box I had problems w/ excessive vibration, lost prop, loose wing hardware etc. All was corrected by following the good advise found on this forum.

Stiffening the engine mount is required to prevent transient harmonic vibrations from re-kitting the whole project. Glue, screws, and plywood, use your imagination. Don't allow hardware to chafe on battery.

visualizerent is offline Find More Posts by visualizerent
Last edited by visualizerent; Sep 19, 2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:57 AM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
554 Posts
Gotta Come Clean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdee14 View Post
I #$%^&& crashed again landing.....little windy and when making the turn for landing....she "Fell out of the sky"......
mjdee,
O.K., since you fessed up about your hard landing I'm starting to feel guilty now. I didn't disclose what happened to my Peaks the last time I flew her on the last flight of the day this past Sunday. I was having "way too much fun" & was hotdogging a corkscrew landing approach & I misjudged just about everything trying to straighten her out. I ended up dropping her hard on right on her nose on the pavement. (Somehow ) I stalled it & she fell about 8 feet like a rock onto terra firma. My elation quickly turned to sadness since this is my favorite ship. Not a pretty sight & totally avoidable, too.
Quote:
I have never had an airplane that I have stalled so many times in my life......for some reason this airplane just has a funny tendancy to stall i turning too sharply with too little power.
I haven't had her stall unintentionally much at all. BUT, I did the same thing. Must've banked her too hard without enough airspeed. Got bit for the first time with her doing that too close to the ground... So yes, more airspeed is required or at least prop thrust so you can (hopefully) recover & then regain control...
Quote:
BUT....this thing is built like a tank.....little ca and she is as good as new.....falling from about 30 ft straight on the spnner, pushed the nose back....lossened the motor mount, broke the wings in a couple of places, but other than that...it was in great shape.
Glad yours went back together without too much trouble. I agree about this ship being built like a tank. With mine the spinner snapped off, the cowling got crushed & the force of the impact punched the motor into the battery compartment. All in all, not "too bad" but definitely required some rework & a good bit of epoxy...
Quote:
...its amazing to see where the paint crinkles off due to stress.....this would have Destroyed a balsa airplane....
Yes, evidence is there on mine. Scuffed all four wingtips & loosened the cabine struts so I had to disassemble the upper wing which is a pain in the . I'm thinking the fact that the massive amount of EPO foam in the nose area really helped absorb the forces of gravity & reduced the amount of damage. If this had been any of my balsa planes, those "other" birds would've been much worse off...
Quote:
but it is as good as new and I got to finally do the motor mount mod and install hinges on all surfaces......
That's gotta be a relief knowing that you've made her whole once more. Now you can fly her again! I spent the past two evenings patching my Peaks back together. I couldn't leave her in that condition knowing she wasn't able to fly... I epoxied the motor mount plate back on, pieced together the foam back behind the motor, straightened out the cowling, installed the wing, motor & new red Dubro spinner. Bench tested her & she's good to go again. Glad that's all done. She looks a little more "rugged" nowadays but that just adds to her charm...

Quote:
now I just need to remember.....POWER-POWER-POWER....
Most definitely!
RCAV8T0R is online now Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Last edited by RCAV8T0R; Sep 19, 2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:58 AM
United States, UT, Saratoga Springs
Joined Mar 2010
458 Posts
Fixed link for above video:

DYNAM PEAKS MAIDEN FLIGHT(S) ON BOARD GoPro HD (4 min 28 sec)
the_walrus is offline Find More Posts by the_walrus
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:56 PM
Team Broke
Orlando/ Winter Garden, FL
Joined Feb 2003
5,671 Posts
Linky no worky !

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualizerent View Post
Here's my Dynam Peaks maiden flight(s) video w/ GoPro velcroed between upper wing and fues. Pretty rough flying, 30 + year absence from 4ch r/c.

The airport in background was closed for construction, flew w/ permission.

Regarding landings, I used to own a full scale Pitts S1C. I land this model the same, see vid. Tight,steep,(fast) power off-turning pattern to a quick full stall flare. Full aft elev on roll out.
Biplane design-Excess speed bleeds off quick in flare.

YouTube Linky
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_annotate?v=f96JzCfCR5Y

Out of the box I had problems w/ excessive vibration, lost prop, loose wing hardware etc. All was corrected by following the good advise found on this forum.

Stiffening the engine mount is required to prevent transient harmonic vibrations from re-kitting the whole project. Glue, screws, and plywood, use your imagination. Don't allow hardware to chafe on battery.

Attachment 5168102Attachment 5168101

How do you post the entire vid here?Not just the link?
fishdeth is offline Find More Posts by fishdeth
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:00 PM
Joined Sep 2012
11 Posts
Thanks!
Do you just use the insert link?
Or is there more to it?

JB
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:06 PM
Team Broke
Joined Feb 2003
5,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualizerent View Post
Thanks!
Do you just use the insert link?
Or is there more to it?

JB
I usually go to the youtube page with my vid on it and copy the URL in the address bar then paste it in the body of the post.
Here is my old BIG Pitts.
Kinda miss her, but hopefully not for long after I get my receiver from HK.

QQ Python 100 (5 min 22 sec)

Jim
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:30 PM
Joined Sep 2012
11 Posts
DYNAM PEAKS BIPLANE INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEO (9 min 2 sec)
Here's a little background/instructional vid. I put together.

Illustrates a comprehensive flight control check.

OK got it! finally figgered out how to properly embed the video.
Last edited by visualizerent; Sep 19, 2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:35 PM
Team Broke
Joined Feb 2003
5,671 Posts
Last edited by fishdeth; Sep 19, 2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 05:25 PM
Team Broke
Joined Feb 2003
5,671 Posts
There ya go !
Nice video.

Jim
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:44 PM
FireHawx
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Oct 2011
1,330 Posts
Following the thread, I am looking for something new to fly. I've be flying EDF for about 2 years now and this has "Peaked" my interest. You can only go so fast and my batteries have short life cycles. Still on the fence?? I'm looking for a challenge/fun. The last prop plane I flew was corsair and it seemed to be in slow motion in the air...Can you really tear up the sky with this one?
FireHawx is offline Find More Posts by FireHawx
Last edited by FireHawx; Sep 19, 2012 at 07:53 PM. Reason: ......
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:02 PM
United States, UT, Saratoga Springs
Joined Mar 2010
458 Posts
FireHawx,
I'm an EDF guy as well so I can understand where you are coming from there.

This plane doesn't really tear up the skies in speed, it is more about super relaxing mild 3D and mild sport flying, with easy landings and 6 minute flight times on a 2200mah 4s batt. All of this equals zero stress and major fun factor.

When I want all out speed I'll pack up the 5s Habu and head to the model port where I have room to fly, land, etc.

But when I just want to go across the street to the park and relax, practice tricks, dazzle the neighborhood onlookers, the Peaks is my new go-to plane. I could fly this everyday after work and have a blast.

Let me put it to ya this way, I just maidened my Peaks 5 days ago and I already have 9 flights on it, and 3 friends want to buy one.

So all in all it's a very fun, relaxing plane that you can toss around, and still do the occasional full throttle pass when you want to. But speed in the traditional sense will be reserved for the EDFs and the funfighters.

Justin
the_walrus is offline Find More Posts by the_walrus
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:41 PM
JUNK RADIO
USA, NY, Queens
Joined Dec 2006
3,136 Posts
visualizerent nice video thank you.

fred
Flazo is offline Find More Posts by Flazo