SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:01 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,512 Posts
Yippee!
A good way to spend your lunch hour

As a newbie, I need all the practice I can get. I'm sure there's a lot to be learned yet and my technique surely isn't the best in the world but I'm working on it. Watching Bruce, Kai, et. al. I sure to learn a LOT and try to put that into practice. Maybe one day I'll be good enough to hold my own against the locals.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:13 PM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Apr 2010
2,781 Posts
I sold my RAM3 but when I used it I noticed that each and every launch of mine was within ten ft of each other. Perhaps when you get your method dialed in yours will be the same.I noticed you have good and not so good launches. My guess is it will get more consistent .

I wasnt there so I wont comment on duration but your launches are reasonable for a newbie. Mine are almost all in the 140 ft range. Im a lazy launcher but experienced pilot

My RAM3 taught me how to get 140 with the same effort I was putting into my 100 ft throws . LMAO
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:33 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,512 Posts
Isn't that the beauty of teaching aids? Most of my launches were immediate return so I could practice the launch. Occasionally I'd hit a little bump and try to ride it but the wind is pretty brisk for a newbie with a DLG (I'd guess 5-10mph) but every launch counts and every launch I get a little more comfortable and figure out what I'm doing wrong and when.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 06:45 PM
United States, LA, New Iberia
Joined Nov 2011
164 Posts
That's how I spent my lunch hour today. Only 60-70' launches though, by my eye anyway. 20 mins after work as well. Today was my first launches w a dlg where I was doing everything. Can't wait til lunch tomorrow, winds were blowing 10-15 today at work.

Sent from my DROIDX
brs608 is offline Find More Posts by brs608
Old Nov 28, 2011, 06:52 PM
Master of the Wind
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Sep 2008
1,189 Posts
I go out every day it doesn't rain with a beater, mostly to practice air reading.
G Norsworthy is offline Find More Posts by G Norsworthy
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:33 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs608 View Post
That's how I spent my lunch hour today. Only 60-70' launches though, by my eye anyway. 20 mins after work as well. Today was my first launches w a dlg where I was doing everything. Can't wait til lunch tomorrow, winds were blowing 10-15 today at work.

Sent from my DROIDX
You might see if you can borrow or buy an altimeter. I thought I was launching around 60'-70' as well. I didn't think I was launching anywhere near 100' but I am. I do see where I have a tendency to stall at the top of the launch and I was quite surprised how much altitude I lost doing that. Seeing the graph makes it obvious what you're doing wrong and how much it affects the flight.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 04:32 PM
Stick lift beats no lift
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Mar 2003
158 Posts
Hey Tim,

I've been doing the lunch thing too, since it cooled off. I don't have or want a truthometer since I'm sure I'm launching 200 feet without it!

What you flying?

I got a Falken - sorta similar to and XP. It is a great flyer!

John
TexasJohn is offline Find More Posts by TexasJohn
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:12 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,512 Posts
I'm flying a TS Viper with a different set of tails. The PO bought a nice set of tails with a flying stab but I noticed the other day that the horizontal is a bit off of square. It still flies good enough for me until I learn to build a better set of tails than those on it now. That will be a while.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 03:26 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,512 Posts
Another good day to fly at lunchtime. Last launch wasn't the best but it sure was the best flight!