HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2011, 07:09 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,404 Posts
Thanks guys for your help and advice. I found the buddy codes on the two items I ordered today. I pasted them into one of the buddy codes sites. Now I wait!

Jim
Jim_Marconnet is offline Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2011, 07:29 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl449 View Post
I think I'm going to buy the G-force 2s and then buy the Eflite battery connector from rc-connectors . What I was planning to do is to cut the blance tap connector from the battery and use the center wire to connect to the beast connector. Then cut the jst connector and use the red and black wire and connect it to the beast connector. I think that would work. That would save a few bucks.
Seems like that would be more trouble than simply making your own 2s packs from bare cells.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2011, 11:33 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,404 Posts
In another thread, I was suggested: http://www.rc-connectors.com/index.p...index&cPath=80

I like very much the way they make it easy to find what you want based on what plane or helicopter you have.

They seem to have about any connector or cable I can think of. But the prices for a connector or cable are not that much lower than the packs I ordered from HobbyKing. So I can use those packs for at least a little while after I get them before I scavenge their connectors, if necessary!

Jim
Jim_Marconnet is offline Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
Old Dec 09, 2011, 04:08 PM
Joined Jul 2009
122 Posts
I would buy the G Force from value hobby and solder a jst connector onto the Beast. Problem solved! This way you have an appropriate balance connector already on your battery, so you can use a 3rd party charger.
tjm5837 is offline Find More Posts by tjm5837
Old Dec 09, 2011, 04:29 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,467 Posts
That G-force 180 mAh pack is pig-heavy as compared to a home-brew Hyp 240 mAh 2s pack, and the advertized C-rating is too low. All cheap Chinese cells to-date have dramatically inflated C-ratings. The G-force pack will not provide anywhere near the power or longevity of the Hyperions. As is true for nearly everything in life - if it's cheap, there's a reason - and if the deal seems to good to be true, it nearly always is too good to be true. With LiPos, there is no free lunch. If they're cheap, it always means that they will not perform as advertised, and that they will have a short lifespan.

Using cheap Chinese packs in these high-performance, high-current applications is anologous to buying a Ferrari & then putting low-octane fuel in it.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Dec 10, 2011 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Typo
Old Dec 09, 2011, 06:31 PM
Joined Jul 2009
122 Posts
I use G-force batteries extensively in my fleet. They perform very well. They have also held up well. They provide plenty of power. I even use them in my carbon-z yak and they do fine even in mild 3d. For the price, I haven't found a better deal out there. They work fine in my helicopters too. I've held off getting any of these UMX birds just because I refuse to play battery/connector games with E-flite. Now that the g-force batteries are out I think they are worth a try. And your only out 3.50/battery! Just my 2 cents. No offense to anyone.
tjm5837 is offline Find More Posts by tjm5837
Old Dec 19, 2011, 07:44 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,803 Posts
Hyperion gets into the UMX 2s battery arena

Just found out that Hyperion is now making 2s packs with the UMX connector (180mAh, 240mAh).

So far, I see them on sale at
aircraft-world.com (Japan):
http://aircraft-world.com/shopdispla...Ah+and+Smaller

HP-LG325-0180-2S-UMX US$9.95
HP-LG325-0240-2S-UMX US$9.95

and
www.hyperionaustralia.com.au
http://www.hyperionaustralia.com.au/?stg=878&sw=10

Either pack at (AU)$11.90
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Dec 19, 2011, 08:14 PM
road wart
United States, CT, Stonington
Joined Aug 2003
2,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm5837 View Post
I use G-force batteries extensively in my fleet. They perform very well. They have also held up well. They provide plenty of power. I even use them in my carbon-z yak and they do fine even in mild 3d. For the price, I haven't found a better deal out there. They work fine in my helicopters too. I've held off getting any of these UMX birds just because I refuse to play battery/connector games with E-flite. Now that the g-force batteries are out I think they are worth a try. And your only out 3.50/battery! Just my 2 cents. No offense to anyone.
I agree...good batteries from them and they get here quick...I use a bunch of them on various planes
racie34 is offline Find More Posts by racie34
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:45 AM
"Add Lightness"..Colin Chapman
Keystone State, USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,170 Posts
I ordered a few of the new Hyperion UMX packs from All-E-RC the other day and received them yesterday.

I proceeded to strip off the outer layer of packaging on the 2S 180mAh.
It added up to 1.4gm. That leaves the weight of the 2s Pack at 12.2gm.
Still not quite as svelt at RCBabbels or maybe your own home brew pack but this is good enuf for me.

I will try to take pics and post here later for reference for everyone. The
cells and wires, etc are very secure once the outer packaging is removed.
Dare I say they look as good as RCBabbels cells (which I do own BTW).

I couldn't find a better thread to post this. IF there is someone please direct me. Thanks
Elisecat is online now Find More Posts by Elisecat
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:05 PM
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Sep 2010
316 Posts
FWIW, the Beast and mCP X connectors (3 and 2 pin, respectively) are just standard electrical connectors. I ordered a bunch from digikey for a few cents each. For the life of me though, I can't find the connectors in my pile of junk.

I'd intended to make a parallel charging cable... but hobbyking released a ~$1 for the 1s batteries and someone else has one for the 2s batteries for an overpriced ~$10. I should have made it myself, but I'm lazy.

I think I also posted the details of the connectors on here, so if you search for posts by me you might find it.

Found em:

1S charge socket: 455-1704-ND (MFG P/N B2B-PH-K-S(LF)(SN)
2S charge socket: 455-1705-ND (MFG P/N B3B-PH-K-S(LF)(SN)

I bet with that you can find the battery connector if you wanted.
fryfrog is offline Find More Posts by fryfrog
Last edited by fryfrog; Jan 27, 2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 06:35 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Best deal?

Well that really depends now does it not? I like high quality at great price so for me I build my own 2S UMX LiPolys using Hyperion cells from 120 to 240 mAh all of which cost $3.95 ea. from rcdude.com , allerc.com and several other sources.

I use slightly modified Thunder Power 2 or 3S balancing pigtails which can be obtained from Hobby King for $1.95 per pack of 5 which makes them $0.40 each. This means I have aprox. $8.50 plus a little of my time in each one.

Hobby King
PRODUCT ID: 101b-102a-2s

Female JST-XH <-> Male Thunderpower 2S 5cm (5pcs/bag)

All one has to do is trim the non used (empty) socket off and the width will match the E flite female connector.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jan 28, 2012 at 07:12 AM.