HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:33 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,067 Posts
Looks great! And very light! Awesome!

When are you going to finish covering that ghost!?
Joe
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:06 AM
Be here now!
Rome,Ciampino
Joined Jan 2008
172 Posts
As soon as the weather will be good...I prefer to use paint into an open space and with no umidity in order to achieve good results.
ask21! is offline Find More Posts by ask21!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:22 AM
Joined Feb 2010
2,171 Posts
Looks real nice. Once I finish building my D-VII then i will order a set of whirlybird plans myself.
TexasClouds is offline Find More Posts by TexasClouds
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:03 AM
Be here now!
Rome,Ciampino
Joined Jan 2008
172 Posts
Tried some ROG at the field. I must admit that my rotor does not spin up like yours. Mine is a bit slower in gaining rpm. As i told you (did i?!?!?) my blad are flatter at bottom, without the slope on the LE as showed on the drawings.
How ever he was able to bounce even if at a very high speed. I will try adding a -1 shim on each blade.

Also could not fly because of servo link. Under the force of the rotor, uniballs get offset causing the rotor to have a little oscillation at the center position. I will replace them with a classic 3mm clevis and I'm sure i will resolve any problem.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:27 AM
Joined Sep 2004
4,067 Posts
Yes....add a little shim is a good idea. Keep us posted.

Did you ever add an accent color or is it still all white?
Joe
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:32 AM
Be here now!
Rome,Ciampino
Joined Jan 2008
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodini View Post
Yes....add a little shim is a good idea. Keep us posted.

Did you ever add an accent color or is it still all white?
Joe
Still white. I'm going to add some color before first take off...should be a good idea!
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:38 AM
Be here now!
Rome,Ciampino
Joined Jan 2008
172 Posts
Ok, i crashed it!

Everything was ok, i started slowly, than added motor gradualy. Take-off was no pain, i gained some meters and leveled it. It flew greeeeaaaat!

I only needed a bit(a lot) of left trim. When I called for someone to help me i got confused and tricked with the flight direction and it went down to ground, Fortunately i was able to recover it, but the altitude wasn't enough. So the right landing gear hit the ground hardly and broke the fwd fuse. Even the mast has torned its supports.

However now i fixed all the structure. Now i will cover it with some scrap oracover and i will fly it again. When everything will be ok (judging from the 50/60 seconds of flight it is perfect this way) I will build a new one.

Jodini you did a really great work, I followed every of the infos you wrote on the drawings and it took off and flew perfectly.

Thanks a lot for sharing this project with us!

Stefano

Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:08 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,171 Posts
Aw man tough break. Did you lose orientation?
TexasClouds is offline Find More Posts by TexasClouds
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:20 PM
Be here now!
Rome,Ciampino
Joined Jan 2008
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasClouds View Post
Aw man tough break. Did you lose orientation?
Yes I did. I took my eyes off for a second and when i looked at it, it was leaning slowly to the right (i needed some trim). I thought it was coming to me so I added more right. When i realized I inverted the input and almost saved it from total destruction. One more foot and it was saved. As you can see i touched hard with right landing gear and it ripped everything
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:35 PM
Joined Sep 2004
4,067 Posts
Hey Stefano....sorry for your loss! That stinks! I always trim this type of autogyro with 2 degrees left tilt. Seems like that is where they end up.

Well, I really wish you would of added some trim on their. Not saying it would of saved you, but I think it would of helped. When I built the Eastern Airline Kellet prototype, I had it all blue and after one flight realized it was impossible to see, so made the bottom bright yellow.

Well, I hope to see you fly another DAG 60 again! I really loved mine until the rudder servo arm popped off during flight and crashed into a tree!
Joe
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:37 AM
Be here now!
Rome,Ciampino
Joined Jan 2008
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodini View Post
Hey Stefano....sorry for your loss! That stinks! I always trim this type of autogyro with 2 degrees left tilt. Seems like that is where they end up.

Well, I really wish you would of added some trim on their. Not saying it would of saved you, but I think it would of helped. When I built the Eastern Airline Kellet prototype, I had it all blue and after one flight realized it was impossible to see, so made the bottom bright yellow.

Well, I hope to see you fly another DAG 60 again! I really loved mine until the rudder servo arm popped off during flight and crashed into a tree!
Joe
As I told you, it's yet repaired. I only need to cover it and have a full check on it. After this I want a bigger one to put a gasser engine on it. Or I will build a new fuselage.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:54 AM
autogyro andy
South UK
Joined Feb 2007
748 Posts
Hi Stefano

Sorry to read you damaged your DAG. They never seem to fly the same when they have been repaired! But well done for such a fine looking model.

If it helps try to remember to reduce the throttle when your not sure.
It gives me an extra second or two to see where she is going and usually she will self level regardless of trim. Hope this helps.

Regards

Andy
HandyAndy is offline Find More Posts by HandyAndy
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:27 AM
Be here now!
Rome,Ciampino
Joined Jan 2008
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyAndy View Post
Hi Stefano

Sorry to read you damaged your DAG. They never seem to fly the same when they have been repaired! But well done for such a fine looking model.

If it helps try to remember to reduce the throttle when your not sure.
It gives me an extra second or two to see where she is going and usually she will self level regardless of trim. Hope this helps.

Regards

Andy
I will try to remember...
I will use this "old fashioned" model to do some other flights. Than i will build a new fuselage or a whole new one!
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:57 AM
Greece, Peloponnisos Dytiki Ellada ke Ionio, Thouria
Joined Oct 2010
84 Posts
Ciao Stefano...
sorry for your lost but I think that you can repair it in sort time. You are a good bilder,I think, and soon your DAG will fly again I dont know if it is your first time of flying an autogyro and if it is so,you can understand why so few of us build such kind of planes. I had twice such a disaster with my DAG-R2 and I repair it again now it flies all right . Stefano now I am building the DAG-60 and soon,I hope,I will fly it
Friendly yours
Fanis.
F.FANIS is offline Find More Posts by F.FANIS
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:01 AM
Be here now!
Rome,Ciampino
Joined Jan 2008
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F.FANIS View Post
Ciao Stefano...
sorry for your lost but I think that you can repair it in sort time. You are a good bilder,I think, and soon your DAG will fly again I dont know if it is your first time of flying an autogyro and if it is so,you can understand why so few of us build such kind of planes. I had twice such a disaster with my DAG-R2 and I repair it again now it flies all right . Stefano now I am building the DAG-60 and soon,I hope,I will fly it
Friendly yours
Fanis.
Ciao!

It's not my first gyro, but it is my first self built gyro.
I own a cierva and an auto-g, both coming from HK store. I can fly them no pain and the second one is really funny to fly. But i prefer bigger ships!