SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by owlsabie, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:06 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,779 Posts
Discussion
Playing with Lights

Thinking how to make summer flying last just a little longer . . .
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:40 PM
Is it suppose to do that?
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,115 Posts
Burn Baby Burn

Hi Al:

You are ready to shine up the skies. Those lights are sooooo cooool. Needed three of those guys.

We were away for the Thanksgiving weekend in New York City..the kids were getting their early Chanukah Gifts.

Man the flying down under must be getting revved up. Wish we were coming into summer ---why you ask---that's right man---the Nieuport is done! I finished up everything today, balanced, and hoping for Maiden weather on Wednesday. Take a look at my blog I have up the most recent photos.

See if you can get some in flight videos of the night lights.

Take Care
Sean

P.S. Starting the Solution maybe this weekend.
moscow580 is offline Find More Posts by moscow580
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:30 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,779 Posts
Hey there Sean, great job on the Nieuport - I hope the weather holds out for you . . . Definately going to get the lights sorted while waiting for glue to dry, and certainly will get some video.

Good luck for the maiden my friend

Al
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:53 AM
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,115 Posts
Hi Al:

I will let you know - Going to create a new blog for the maiden and the new build.

Have you ever flown at night before? How do account for trees and other objects? Do you specifically fly in an open area without obstructions? I guess if you already know where everything is during the day you have a feel for it a night; similar to walking through the house in the dark.

I look forward to the videos if possible.

Take care

Sean
Old Nov 30, 2011, 09:42 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,779 Posts
Sean - I'm not sure how the lads fly in total darkness, I'm planning more for dusk. At that time, it often happens that I fly from against a bright sky into deep shadow with a dark background and lose sight of the plane for a while. Where I fly is right at the foot of high mountains, so at ground level it gets dark quickly, and suddenly, although the sun hasn't really set yet. I'm hoping this will just make landing a little easier. And look interesting
Old Dec 01, 2011, 02:15 PM
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,115 Posts
Hey Al:

Must be very pretty where you fly. We live in an urban setting so you can see most of my flying is in a park or at a baseball field.

I can relate with losing the airplane. That happens to me when I fly in the afternoon. The sun I bearing straight down so there is always one part of the circuit that hits the sun. I was flying the p-38 last Sunday and lost it in the sum briefly - pretty scary.

If you can get a photo that would be nice.

Trying to get the solution ready to build. I printed out the plans and I am going to bring it to staples to see if they can enlarge it to something near 40in.

Enjoy the the flying.

Sean
Old Dec 03, 2011, 04:21 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,779 Posts
Hey there Sean - let me know how big it comes out, and I'll try follow suit. I just print tile it with adobe and live with having lots of A4 sheets . . .

The only problem I see is where to put the battery . . .

Yip - it is quite pretty where I live
Last edited by owlsabie; Dec 03, 2011 at 04:30 AM.
Old Dec 03, 2011, 08:13 PM
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,115 Posts
Spectacular

Hi Al:

Thanks for posting those photos....they are spectacular. I always wanted to live in a more remote area, but my lifestyle requires us to live where we do. I am not at all unhappy about it, but do admire beautiful country as this.

OK...I took the plans to staples and blew them up 200%. The top wingspan of the Super Solution is 45"; it is going to be mammoth. I am going to cut down each section and build it on my board. It is going to be a great build. I am going to start a blog soon on the build and my thoughts about different things; material to used, size of ribs, etc. I will try to post a photo of the plans.

How is the flying going? I have not flown the Nieuport yet....Going with the P-47 tomorrow with a friend and his Cessna.

Enjoy the flying....in G-d's country.

Sean
Old Dec 04, 2011, 09:57 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,779 Posts
Hi Sean, no flying - its been cool/wet/windy since Friday. Actually good timing as I've needed to catch up on some sleep (and its good for the garden)

Enjoy the P-47 - I keep lookning at yours, and thinking I should by myself a present

Looking forward to the build . . .

Al
Old Dec 04, 2011, 10:55 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,779 Posts
45" is probably just right! Thats going to need a little more motor than I had envisioned however . . . and building the spats is going to be fun. Cool - I'll print it out and have a look.
Old Dec 05, 2011, 06:17 PM
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,115 Posts
Hi Al:

I posted my plans on the P-47 post. What are spats? I was thinking that we should start a Super Solution blog and we can access that one alone if are both building it. Also if you decide you do not want to build the solution, please feel free to do whatever projects you had in mind.

To tell you the truth I am going to size a couple of 46-50 size motors and based upon the can length I will also set the firewall of the solution. I want to choose a motor after I build it, because I want to know its weight to get the right power/watt.

Sean