HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:00 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,448 Posts
Discussion
3D Flying. Getting More and More Popular? Or is the press now just catching on?

Here is a good read. Heck of a lot better than the FPV article they ran some time ago.

So what is your take on it?

http://www.airspacemag.com/flight-to...-to-Crash.html

Frank
Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:02 AM
Joined Mar 2011
548 Posts
Interesting stuff "The Kids are trying to crash" ?
papabearflying is offline Find More Posts by papabearflying
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:09 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papabearflying View Post
Interesting stuff "The Kids are trying to crash" ?
Kinda a an odd title that's for sure, but I guess since you are flying at inches rather that feet off the ground, the casual observer sees it that way.

Frank
Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:25 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,277 Posts
The 3D term has been misunderstood and misued for so long that very few people even truely undersatand what it means any more.

What is happening now is that post stall aerobatics are becoming part of a well-rounded game. I'm thinking that nowdays, "3D" is nothing more than a marketing term .... a buzz word used to sell stuff.

For those of us that fly extreme aerobatics, flying post stall aerobatics (3D) is just part of what you have to do to be a complete pilot. To have a well rounded program, you have to fly both precision and post stall aerobatics. In the end it is all just flying the airplane to the limit, and the pilot getting the most out of himself and his equipment.

Hopefully we will eventually stop it with all the marketing hooey and just call it flying, because that is what it is.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:10 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,499 Posts
I don't know if I'd call 3D "flying".

def: 1. To engage in flight, especially:
a. To move through the air by means of wings or winglike parts.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Nov 28, 2011, 04:13 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood View Post
I don't know if I'd call 3D "flying".

def: 1. To engage in flight, especially:
a. To move through the air by means of wings or winglike parts.

mw
Interesting isn't it? We take an airfoil and move it through the air linearly and we say it generates lift and we call it a wing. We take the same airfoil and fix one end so that the airfoil pivots around that point in a circular path and that lift is then called thrust and the wing is then called a propeller. Is there a real difference?

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:26 PM
Joined Jul 2011
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnagel View Post
Interesting isn't it? We take an airfoil and move it through the air linearly and we say it generates lift and we call it a wing. We take the same airfoil and fix one end so that the airfoil pivots around that point in a circular path and that lift is then called thrust and the wing is then called a propeller. Is there a real difference?

Larry

And for what it is worth, many so called 3d maneuvers clearly meet the definition that was given, even if you neglect the propeller.
Madratter is offline Find More Posts by Madratter
Old Nov 28, 2011, 07:13 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
The 3D term has been misunderstood and misued for so long that very few people even truely undersatand what it means any more.

What is happening now is that post stall aerobatics are becoming part of a well-rounded game. I'm thinking that nowdays, "3D" is nothing more than a marketing term .... a buzz word used to sell stuff.

For those of us that fly extreme aerobatics, flying post stall aerobatics (3D) is just part of what you have to do to be a complete pilot. To have a well rounded program, you have to fly both precision and post stall aerobatics. In the end it is all just flying the airplane to the limit, and the pilot getting the most out of himself and his equipment.

Hopefully we will eventually stop it with all the marketing hooey and just call it flying, because that is what it is.
For the newcomers to RCG, I suggest they look up some of Doc Austin's videos of him flying. The guy is scary crazy and scary good.
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 28, 2011, 07:28 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
4,063 Posts
I love how he made up "The knife edge" as a maneuver where it is on it's side with nose pointed 45 degrees upward... That's like calling inverted flight, "The inverted".
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Nov 28, 2011, 07:29 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat View Post
I love how he made up "The knife edge" as a maneuver where it is on it's side with nose pointed 45 degrees upward... That's like calling inverted flight, "The inverted".
Who?
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 28, 2011, 08:09 PM
Happiness is a belt fed weapon
Ventura, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,367 Posts
Knife edge is a real maneuver. You know, when the plane is flying and the wings are pointed straight up and down.
Cleared2Engage is offline Find More Posts by Cleared2Engage
Old Nov 28, 2011, 08:27 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Good article, IMO. Raises some interesting points, for example the fact that very few 3D pilots build their own planes; they would never fly them that way if they did.

We westerners will take almost any sport or recreation to extremes, be it skiing, running, hiking, sailing... you name it. And it's usually the youngsters doing it or the occasional oldsters with money to burn.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Nov 28, 2011, 09:09 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
Joined Oct 2008
4,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleared2Engage View Post
Knife edge is a real maneuver. You know, when the plane is flying and the wings are pointed straight up and down.
That's not my point. It's not called "the knife edge", it's not any single maneuver, it's simply being in an attitude where the plane has the wings up and down. In other words, what the writer is describing is in a group of maneuvers... knife edge passes, loops, spins etc.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 09:18 PM
Happiness is a belt fed weapon
Ventura, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat View Post
That's not my point. It's not called "the knife edge", it's not any single maneuver, it's simply being in an attitude where the plane has the wings up and down. In other words, what the writer is describing is in a group of maneuvers... knife edge passes, loops, spins etc.
Or just "Knife Edge". That's like saying that Harrier is only a group, like rolling harrier, inverted harrier, etc.
Cleared2Engage is offline Find More Posts by Cleared2Engage
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:49 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
Joined Oct 2008
4,063 Posts
I never liked the term "harrier", I prefer high alpha.