HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2011, 06:40 AM
United Kingdom, Prestatyn
Joined Nov 2011
9 Posts
Discussion
Autogyro blade construction

Hi all!
I come to this section of the forum after having flown Helis and planes for a number of years and looking for something different!
Basically it is the start of the winter here in the uk and I have the plans for a DAG R1 I really like the look of and fancy as a long term winter build project - problem is I know I am going to really struggle with the blades!

I have a relatively small workshop with limited tools (certainly no nice big belt sanders) and just wondered if anyone had any hints/tips for achieving sound/ uniform blades relatively quickly (I hate sanding!)

Failing that, is there anywhere in the uk that produces ready made autogyro blades? Aerobalsa in the USA do, but they want more in postage than the blades themselves, plus there will be 20% VAT added, and then the dreaded import charges, so its really not worth getting them shipped over!

Cheers for your help all - I really want to start getting things together to start the construction, but these blades are really daunting, and the idea of having a lovely shiny new model with no blades is really holding me back!
Stubbsy lad is offline Find More Posts by Stubbsy lad
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2011, 01:36 PM
Trailer Down By The River
Joined Sep 2004
481 Posts
I made blades for my HobbyKing Cierva C30 no problem. I don't know how big a blade you need to make but my blades I am guessing are 14 inches long and made from 1/4 inch balsa plank. I used a balsa razor plane and final sanded and covered .
You need leading edge tip weights and they need to be balanced both ways,,length,,and chord. The balance point of the length of the blade is what determines the bolt hole placement. The rest is like a heli,,,same cg,,add weight to the cg point of the light blade etc.
TURBOOMNI is offline Find More Posts by TURBOOMNI
Last edited by TURBOOMNI; Nov 28, 2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:02 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,716 Posts
Like Turbo tells you,.....a razor plane and some sand paper.It ain't rocket science....They are not as critical as Heli blades. The plans shows the length and cross section.Get them as close as you can, run some thin CA to the T/E and make four blades at the same time ( you will need a spare) The only thing that I change from that blade design is to put the bend in the wire at the tip instead of the hub , as I find that it puts a possible weak point. (Over the years I have had a couple of blades break at that point) could just be a coincidence.You have chosen a good model as your trainer. I have had a couple and am still flying a highly modified one.
Make all four blades from the same sheet of medium balsa 48'' X 4'' X 1 1/4. You should be able to make four blades in a couple of hours,plus the covering and balancing time .You will Need a couple of beers to clear the dust from you throat.
Happy Landings
Chris..........
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Nov 29, 2011, 02:50 PM
Be here now!
Rome,Ciampino
Joined Jan 2008
172 Posts
Look at those fat blade I have to test

Made entirely by using a planner (is it the correct name?) and that long sanding strip.

ask21! is offline Find More Posts by ask21!
Last edited by ask21!; Dec 01, 2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2011, 07:23 AM
United Kingdom, Prestatyn
Joined Nov 2011
9 Posts
Cheers for the info fellas - I like Chris's tip, to make sure I have a beer or two to hand to get rid of the balsa dust in the throat! I will tell the misses I have had it on sound medical advice!

Like the idea of ask 21's sanding strip too! - how have you held the sand paper on the bottom? is it replaceable or have you glued it on perminantly?

Had a thought last night too - If I try to make the blades first - I havent really lost anything if I screw them up! at least I wont have the unusable model sitting in my workshop waiting!

Cheers for the help fella's - keep it coming!
Ben........
Stubbsy lad is offline Find More Posts by Stubbsy lad
Old Dec 01, 2011, 10:58 AM
Be here now!
Rome,Ciampino
Joined Jan 2008
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbsy lad View Post
Cheers for the info fellas - I like Chris's tip, to make sure I have a beer or two to hand to get rid of the balsa dust in the throat! I will tell the misses I have had it on sound medical advice!

Like the idea of ask 21's sanding strip too! - how have you held the sand paper on the bottom? is it replaceable or have you glued it on perminantly?

Had a thought last night too - If I try to make the blades first - I havent really lost anything if I screw them up! at least I wont have the unusable model sitting in my workshop waiting!

Cheers for the help fella's - keep it coming!
Ben........
Sure it's replaceable! I used a stick glue!
ask21! is offline Find More Posts by ask21!