Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 01, 2012, 12:46 PM
Standing Athwart History
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2011
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcWhorter View Post
I bought my FunFly from 2DogRC. It was easy to put together and I ran across most of the issues you have identified. This bird is tail heavy beyond belief and has a really distinct down thrust on the motor mount.

Take Offs are an absoulte nightmare as the airplane is just almost impossible to control. Once I coax it to altitude and throttle way back it becomes more stable - but not anything close to what I expected. I've watched the YouTube videos and have now idea how they were able to get it to ROG so well.

I like the looks and I really don't want to trash it - but I believe that it is grossly over powered even with a 2s. Running a 8x4 prop.

I would like to know how your maiden flights went.

How did you solve the tail heavy issues?

Are you going to go full 4-ch with ailerons?

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences.
I will post updates.
roo_ster is offline Find More Posts by roo_ster
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:51 AM
Joined Oct 2003
915 Posts
Roo ster, thanks for the great, detailed write up. A friend of mine got one of these (TT), he's a beginner. It looks like maiden flights are a bit hit or miss - What do you think caused that first crash from a rolling takeoff? It sounds like removing the gear and hand launching might be the way to go. As far as the ailerons being added on, I think it might just be better to fly this one RET, with the rudder as the primary control instead of the ailerons. Any suggestions for making the maiden flight less squirrley and more stable?
Rob
robster94gt is offline Find More Posts by robster94gt
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:36 AM
Standing Athwart History
Joined Mar 2011
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robster94gt View Post
Roo ster, thanks for the great, detailed write up. A friend of mine got one of these (TT), he's a beginner. It looks like maiden flights are a bit hit or miss - What do you think caused that first crash from a rolling takeoff?
Torque from the motor and rough landing strip caught the landing gear, despite using big honking tires.

When the prop made contact with the ground, the factory firewall was so weak, it busted and it tore the ever-loving heck out of the front of the fuse. Expect a similar fate with the TT.

Fixes:
1. Go easier on the throttle on takeoff. The wing provides hella lift and stability once it starts moving, but bupkis when v=0.
2. Hand launch with a good chuck and 1/4 throttle, moving the throttle forward as it begins to glide.

Quote:
It sounds like removing the gear and hand launching might be the way to go.
Yes, every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Use some of the 3M/Scotch Extreme tape on the belly and you'll be good to go. A prop saver, too.

The more powerful your power system, the less throttle on the toss.

Quote:
As far as the ailerons being added on, I think it might just be better to fly this one RET, with the rudder as the primary control instead of the ailerons.
I agree. I have no plans to add ailerons. I want an easy to fly 3ch RET plane in the hangar. Plenty of dihedral for this.

Quote:
Any suggestions for making the maiden flight less squirrley and more stable?
Rob
Hand launch into wind.

Trim it as best you can on the ground.

Hard to lose mass toward the rear, so that means more mass up front. Use a larger battery with a higher C-rating. Both attributes (mah & C-rating) will make the batt heavier.

If he wants, more motor (more mass up front). Mine is a 400/480 class (http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...ies-p-427.html) 2212-13 with the 9x6 prop. It can cruise on 1/4 to 1/3 throttle.

Adjust/bend the control rods to minimize binding so as to allow more/easier control surface movement and to save the stock servos from stripping. (I went with metal gear T-Pro "9 gram" servos.)

===============

One mod I will make in the future is a bottom battery bay. I bet that will help make it self-correct faster to have that mass lower in the fuse. I'll secure it with serious industrial velcro.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 02:25 PM
Joined Oct 2003
915 Posts
Thanks for the notes - The TT version has the battery mounted in the bottom of the fuse. Wonder what the best way to "deactivate" the aileron servos would be.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 02:42 PM
United States, PA
Joined Aug 2011
321 Posts
Here is my setup:

TechOne T2208 1370kV BL (40g)
TechOne 18A ESC
TechOne 8g micro servos
Hyperion /Eflite 3S 800mah

I added a thin layer of epoxy on the wooden firewall. Also, i modified the elevator and rudder servos setup for better control as i don't like the stock setup. In the end, the plane balances perfectly and flies great! Dial the rates up and this little trainer will loop, snaps easily and i even managed to make inverted figure eights...lots of fun!
epphobby is offline Find More Posts by epphobby
Site Sponsor
Last edited by epphobby; Jan 10, 2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 03:02 PM
Standing Athwart History
Joined Mar 2011
606 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the notes - The TT version has the battery mounted in the bottom of the fuse. Wonder what the best way to "deactivate" the aileron servos would be.
Unplug the aileron servo(s) from the ESC and place clear packing tape over the ailerons to keep them from moving about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epphobby
Here is my setup:

TechOne T2208 1370kV BL (40g)
TechOne 18A ESC
TechOne 8g micro servos
Hyperion /Eflite 3S 800mah

I added a thin layer of epoxy on the wooden firewall. Also, i modified the elevator and rudder servos setup for better control as i don't like the stock setup. In the end, the plane balances perfectly and flies great! Dial the rates up and this little trainer will loop, snaps easily and i even managed to make inverted figure eights...lots of fun!
Looks like yuo moved them forward a bit. That would help balance it out.

Yep, the bugger will do 3ch aerobatics quite well.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 05:28 PM
Joined Oct 2003
915 Posts
Damn, that's a good idea for the servos - talk about thinking outside the box. Pretty much like a lot of the epp 3d type planes - including the PZ typhoon.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 09:36 AM
United States, VA, Chantilly
Joined Apr 2011
980 Posts
Nice Work on the FunFly

Like posts earlier in the thread my FunFly is grossly tail heavy. I've got 28 grams of lead taped to the nose and the thing is still squirrely on takeoff. Once its in the air - I throttle back to just less than half and it really is a sweet flyer.

I've tried lower throttle takeoffs but it just lifts off way before it has sufficient flying speed - even with down elevator applied to keep the wheels stuck to the ground.

I really like the way you did the battery box and the servos. I am going to do both on mine.

Using a prop adapter on mine as I really dislike prop saver. (see pix)

My plan is to replace the spring gear with a the GPMA 2978 Laning Gear. The wider stance will definately increase ground handling stability.

First, epoxy in a small piece of plywood (3cm x 9cm) to mount the landing gear to (after dremeling out a mounting hole so the plywood mounts flush with the foam). To add additional re-enforcement to the plywood, put five bamboo skewers vertically through the model (top to bottom). Snip and sand for finish.

Next, counter-balance with lead on the nose to achieve the CG with battery installed. Then, determine the size of wheels to add based on the amount of lead it took to achieve CG. Hopefully, they will be pretty good size wheels - just for fun.

The target landing gear struts come from Omni Models
http://www3.omnimodels.com/cgi-bin/w...I=GPMA2978&P=7

I will post build pix during the upgrade.
JimMcWhorter is offline Find More Posts by JimMcWhorter
Old Jan 11, 2012, 05:32 PM
Standing Athwart History
Joined Mar 2011
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcWhorter View Post
Like posts earlier in the thread my FunFly is grossly tail heavy. I've got 28 grams of lead taped to the nose and the thing is still squirrely on takeoff. Once its in the air - I throttle back to just less than half and it really is a sweet flyer.

I've tried lower throttle takeoffs but it just lifts off way before it has sufficient flying speed - even with down elevator applied to keep the wheels stuck to the ground.

I really like the way you did the battery box and the servos. I am going to do both on mine.

Using a prop adapter on mine as I really dislike prop saver. (see pix)

My plan is to replace the spring gear with a the GPMA 2978 Laning Gear. The wider stance will definately increase ground handling stability.

First, epoxy in a small piece of plywood (3cm x 9cm) to mount the landing gear to (after dremeling out a mounting hole so the plywood mounts flush with the foam). To add additional re-enforcement to the plywood, put five bamboo skewers vertically through the model (top to bottom). Snip and sand for finish.

Next, counter-balance with lead on the nose to achieve the CG with battery installed. Then, determine the size of wheels to add based on the amount of lead it took to achieve CG. Hopefully, they will be pretty good size wheels - just for fun.

The target landing gear struts come from Omni Models
http://www3.omnimodels.com/cgi-bin/w...I=GPMA2978&P=7

I will post build pix during the upgrade.

Holy mackerel, that is a lot of lead on the nose. Glad I ran with a bigger motor & lipo.

I read a really good set of posts by a guy on RCG where he made removable LG on to a light plywood base, but attached it to the model with velcro or the industrial equivalent that can hold a bunch of weight. He made tail-dragger and trike gear this way.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:19 AM
United States, PA
Joined Aug 2011
321 Posts
Had a chance to fly the TechOne Fun Fly this morning....was a bit wet and cold
Flew nicely and stable. ROGS were not easy and its typical with any tail dragger type of airplanes, hand launch is much easier and recommended for beginners. Enjoy!

TechOne Fun FLy Trainer (2 min 39 sec)
epphobby is offline Find More Posts by epphobby
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:09 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2 Posts
hi roo_ster,
thank you for sharing your experince with us, i own the HK tuff trainer, and i have to admit its really tail heavy i had to add 30 grams of wight in the front to try to balance the CG.
i need to know where did you get your rubber bands from ? i cant find the right size for my plane please let me know what size they are or brand or where you bought your extra rubber bands from i have been looking for a while for them
ammar577 is offline Find More Posts by ammar577
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:36 AM
Standing Athwart History
Joined Mar 2011
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammar577 View Post
hi roo_ster,
thank you for sharing your experince with us, i own the HK tuff trainer, and i have to admit its really tail heavy i had to add 30 grams of wight in the front to try to balance the CG.
i need to know where did you get your rubber bands from ? i cant find the right size for my plane please let me know what size they are or brand or where you bought your extra rubber bands from i have been looking for a while for them
I can not recall what brand they are. I got them from the local Hobbytown. In the future, I'd just get them at wal-mart or some such. As for size, I'd say about 6" or so.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:28 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Mar 2012
5 Posts
I bought this plane from Nitro Planes, it's the Tech One Fun Fly 4ch version. I totally agree with the earlier post that this plane is absolutely uncontrollable on take off. Pretty much the whole flight for that matter, unless it's in a power off glide into the wind. It is the worst flying aircraft I have ever flown. I have tons of planes, but I got this one expecting a lazy fun flying aircraft (hence the name). It is not lazy or fun. That being said, I'm still going to work on it until it flies decent. I'll repost if I can come up with something to help it. I like some of the other ideas on here too.
extrmsports is offline Find More Posts by extrmsports
Old Apr 17, 2012, 01:14 PM
United States, PA, Catawissa
Joined Jul 2011
358 Posts
Unless you are an experience tail dragger pilot, ROG is almost impossible with this plane. Hand launch is recommended. Increase the throws, it snaps easily and even inverted flight is possible.
Mine (techone version) does not need any weight on the nose to balance it. Electronics are stock and built per epphobby suggestions.
rc4u is online now Find More Posts by rc4u
Old Apr 18, 2012, 05:57 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Mar 2012
5 Posts
No, I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I have other taildraggers that I fly on a regular basis with no problems. I think it's less of a taildragger issue than it is a poor design issue. I'll try a hand launch next time and see how it goes.
extrmsports is offline Find More Posts by extrmsports