HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:25 PM
Joined Jan 2011
41 Posts
Discussion
Which car for beginner? $100 budget: Evader or Mini-T

I'm surprised the car forum doesn't have a beginner's guide like I saw for the electric helis...

In any case, I'm interested in buying a small R/C car to get me started, something $100 or below. I already have a ground 75mHz TX/RX, so if I can save a little money by avoiding RTR kits I'd rather do that. (although I haven't seen many where the only missing component is just the transmitter) I also have a 2S A123 pack (recently bout a VPX battery) so if I can use that somehow to save money that would be great too (although 6.6v will run a buit slower than 7.2NiMH)

Just doing some searches and browsing I've come up withe the Duratrax Evader and the Losi Mini-T. I know the basics about them but as I'm not at all familiar with hobby-grade R/C cars I need some help deciding.

Which would you guys recommend?
aEx155 is offline Find More Posts by aEx155
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:47 PM
Fly Inverted
Apache Junction,AZ
Joined Feb 2011
42 Posts
Well to start off your talking about two different scales of cars. The evader is 1/10th scale which is bigger then the mini-t as it is only 1/18th scale. I have owned both of these vehicles and I still own a couple of mini-t's. Depending on if you care how big it is I would go with the mini-t. They are very dependable cars, fairly fast for their size and parts are very easy to come by and most local hobby-shops carry losi parts. Duratrax on the other hand is a bit harder to get parts and you will usually have to buy online. It drives pretty close to other 1/10 cars just not quite as good quality and a bit slower I would say. The mini-t is the best 1/18 scale car in my book and I have owned a lot of 1/18 scale vehicles. Any of the losi 1/18th cars are great I just prefer the mini t for a all around great vehicle on and off-road. I hope this helps!
rcpilot7321 is online now Find More Posts by rcpilot7321