HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2011, 08:53 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,420 Posts
Build Log
Aurora DLG-Molded in the U.S.A

Since my mold maker dropped the bomb over in the other forum and I've dropped enough hints elsewhere, I guess its time to start a new thread for a new era.

Introducing the Aurora DLG-molded in the U.S.A, on the footsteps of the Washington Capitol!

Wing: Custom designed Zone V2. I optimized for float and forgiveness a bit more over absolute launch height and range performance. I have a prototype 10 panel bagged wing cut on my CNC hotwire and bagged with absolute precision. Unfortunately it didn't get any air time before the molds were cut, but I have full faith in the design and will be putting this wing in the air shortly.

Fuselage: The prototype bagged wing will be sitting on Adam's one-piece fuselage. I will likely interchange the first flying molded wing with the bagged wing on this fuselage. A one piece mold is in progress by the rest of the build team but these parts will remain undisclosed. Design work on an in-house fuselage is on going and will lead to a truly special fuselage design.

Tail Design: I'm following Gerald's rudderless design work very closely. The wing was not designed to be rudderless, as I am a believer in the rudder, but rudderless will get tested thoroughly before a decision is made on this front. Horizontal tail will likely use the Freak Horizontal V2 but the computer modelling is a little stalled at this point so the details have not been drawn up. Tails will be fully molded once a proper design is complete.

I'm curious what folks would like to see in this thread-design work, build work, finished product? I doubt I will have the energy to photograph everything, especially during time critical layups but I can do my best. For now enjoy the photos!
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:00 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,420 Posts
Pictures of the bagged prototype wing, leading edge is an absolute work of art.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:02 PM
Hey was that a Thermal ????
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
who cut the molds?

paul
The_Builder is offline Find More Posts by The_Builder
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:06 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,121 Posts
Cool! another molded plane in the US!
Let's see everything in the thread- design, build, etc... even how a servo hatch feature can be molded in... seriously.

Good luck, Sam!

Jun
jcats is offline Find More Posts by jcats
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:14 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,420 Posts
Molded in wing servo hatches, forgot about those. Won't be in the first wing pulled from the mold but I'll stick them in the second (first flyable wing).
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:28 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2010
763 Posts
Nice 10p wing!

Looking forward to seeing it in action...soon!

Keep up the great work!

Eric
NCDLG is offline Find More Posts by NCDLG
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:05 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,420 Posts
Lots of questions coming in over PM's. I'll answer a few:

1) Molds were cut by a gentleman in Maine. If you would like a set, I am sure he can cut another. Contact me via PM, we can work something out if you wish to use this design.

2) Mold finish is as shown in the photos, I have not received them so I cannot comment directly but its fairly clear it is already pretty dang good. An hour or 2 of sanding should get them mirror smooth.

3) Mold material is Corian backed with MDF.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:32 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,121 Posts
You know what I'd like to see molded in? Control rod tubes or sleeves for the rudder and elevator.

Jun
jcats is offline Find More Posts by jcats
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:40 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,601 Posts
I've seen some of his other mold work. You'll be highly pleased.

Great stuff Sam. If you want a set of my videos, I have my layup processes documented heavily on 1080p blu-rays. Maybe by seeing what I've done you can avoid making some of the mistakes I've made along the way I shared them with a few guys on the East coast already.

Looks like the revolution has started

Molding hatches is easy, provided your wing is thick enough for them.

After a while you'll get used to taking pictures while doing layups and chasing the clock in a warm shop. Soon it will be routine.

Remind me to share some "Made in the USA" stickers with you next time I see you. Every wing that comes out of these deserves one.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:56 PM
King Of The Night
USA, CA, San Marcos
Joined Jul 2006
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samc99us View Post
I'm curious what folks would like to see in this thread-design work, build work, finished product?

Everything please ! So exciting to see another made in the USA product !
rexnuktia is offline Find More Posts by rexnuktia
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:02 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,420 Posts
Thanks Tom, I spent a few hours looking at the videos you have up online but the full collection would be nice, I've learned a ton already with the footage you have posted (forcing me to spend a hunk of change with CST lol).

Jun, that is in the cards for the fuselage. Keep the design feedback coming, without input from folks putting ships together better designs wouldn't be possible!
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:37 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,169 Posts
Subscribed

Brandon
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Nov 28, 2011, 01:18 AM
San Gabriel Valley, CA
Joined Mar 2008
1,756 Posts
One more "Molded in USA"!
I am saving up for your dlgs, keep up!

Tai
tai626 is offline Find More Posts by tai626
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:41 AM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samc99us View Post
3) Mold material is Corian backed with MDF.
Looks good, Sam.

Watch out for the expansion differential between the MDF and Corian.

The CTE of Corian is 3.02 x 10-5 in/in/C*
MDF is 1.2 x 10-5 in/in/C*

The really kicker is the expansion due to moisture change. MDF with expand .4mm per meter per 1% moisture content change. 30% Relative Humidity to 60% could change the moisture content by 3%. If you are shooting PVA and cleaning with water you need to be really careful. If you tried to seal the MDF with resin at this point the back of the MDF will really expand and bow the mold. If the MDF was sealed before it was adhered to the Corian then you may be golden.

Neither of these may be an issue, but I thought of it right away when I saw the two materials together in that configuration.
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks
Last edited by wyowindworks; Nov 28, 2011 at 03:05 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:53 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
2,997 Posts
Nice! Another project to be envious of!
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups