HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2011, 05:37 PM
United States, IL, East Alton
Joined Sep 2011
8 Posts
Discussion
Tug Amsterdam

Hi. Guys I just bought a kit the tug amsterdam and i am fixin to start i am new to building boats and i have a couple of questions i don' have any metric drill bits can i convert to inch bits 2. do I need to rough up the plastic with sandpaper to make the glue or fiberglass to stick. 3. what would you use to seal the hole where the prop and rudder shaft. last what size prop is on this boat i bought a 3 inch brass prop to replace the plastic prop that came with the boat thank for your help in advance
Jrmanning58 is offline Find More Posts by Jrmanning58
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2011, 04:48 PM
Joined Sep 2011
8 Posts
would some one please reply to my questions thank you
Old Nov 29, 2011, 05:15 PM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,054 Posts
Sure you can use inch drills, just find what ever is closest to the metric and drill away.
Definately roughen the plastic with sandpaper. 80 grit should work fine.
Epoxy should work, or you could use JB weld which is a bit thicker.This will seal around the shaft tube and rudder tube quite nicely.
Not sure of the prop size, but if you locate the shaft with the prop attached temporarily just right, while attaching the shaft tube to the hull with adhesive make the room available for the 3" prop. maybe give yourself an 1/8" to 3/16" from the tip of the prop to the hull surface.
then the 3" should be fine.
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Nov 29, 2011, 06:09 PM
"Take the Cannollis"
Lake Martin ALABAMA
Joined Feb 2006
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrmanning58 View Post
. do I need to rough up the plastic with sandpaper to make the glue or fiberglass to stick.
The release agent used in the factory mold will eventually weaken any bond made to it..... no matter how much you clean or sand it. It may take months, but it will unstick.

If you are bonding anything to the inside of a fibreglass hull, such as deck beams or stringers, it is best to rough up the area good, bond the fitting to the hull with epoxy, then overcoat the joint area with fibreglass resin. Nothing sticks to fibreglass like more fibreglass.
Steve Bad is offline Find More Posts by Steve Bad
Old Nov 30, 2011, 09:24 AM
Kamloops BC Can.
Joined Jan 2008
610 Posts
Hi JR, you may or may not have checked out the thread " Amsterdam (with a few changes) on here, but there are a lot of really nice Amsters, along with building tips and pics. Not sure how to link with that thread, but hope you can find it.
Norm
Olscuzbut is offline Find More Posts by Olscuzbut
Old Nov 30, 2011, 09:35 AM
Joined Sep 2011
8 Posts
thank you all your help I appreciate it.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 09:41 AM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
1,953 Posts
The hull of my Amsterdam is not fiberglass, but ABS plastic so I am assuming yours is plastic as well. I would caution the use of epoxy resin. The JB Weld, or a polyester based resin would work better. Epoxy may stick, but may not 'bond' as good as a catalyzed resin. Lots of other products will help secure the internal structure, like some of the marine adhesives. Read through the build threads on the other Amsterdams for more info.
I used a Graupner Z Drive in mine, plus a bow thruster. It is still just a hull as I have not gotten any further on the build.

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Nov 30, 2011, 07:52 PM
1/2 a bubble off
United States, NY, Schenectady
Joined Mar 2011
843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boater_dave View Post
The JB Weld, or a polyester based resin would work better. Epoxy may stick, but may not 'bond' as good as a catalyzed resin.
Uhhh, JB Weld IS an Epoxy Resin/Hardener product.
Apismelifera is offline Find More Posts by Apismelifera
Old Dec 01, 2011, 01:43 AM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
1,953 Posts
Your right. I thought I had read on the boards here that folks had used it with some success. I tried to search a bit and could not find any support, so I guess I would test the adhesion. I had some problems using epoxy to secure the framework inside my Amsterdam. I did scuff up the hull and even cleaned with isopropyl.

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Dec 01, 2011, 07:09 AM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,054 Posts
I'll bet Milliput would stick for a long time, It sticks to everything else with great force.
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Dec 01, 2011, 07:19 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,752 Posts
And some items stick quite aggressively when you don't want them to---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Dec 01, 2011, 05:50 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,813 Posts
ONE thing wile working with ABS you do have to be carfull. IF your not? different glues and materals will eat it or cause problems .
I try to stay clear of ABS hulls if i can .
THE first ones were plank on plank hulls. To bad they did not stay with it.
BUT I have seen that ABS hull and it seems to me it about 1/8th thick or 1/16th black and look strong.
BUT it was many years ago. ONE TIME I had work with very thin ABS that parts are form from.. I know there is a glue that is set up for bonding that trype of plactic or ABS but sorry I dont remember what it is right now . I can fine out more in a day or so . BUT LIKE I say I was working with a lighter materal and I did not like it for I had to be very carfull with it .
There are many of those tugs and many have built them LIKE Some one elest said if you can look up that amsterdam sight I am sure there are others that can help ya .
OR look up on the net or even write to Latina and tell them what you have and see what they say to use on that hull and parts. With that hull I would make sure on what will work and wont wont that is a very nice tug .

Power wise I use a standard 12 volt pitman . A Teakin 10 cell battery speed controll along with about a 2 1/2 brass prop along with the speckrum 3 channel radio.

I will dig up some pictures of ours soon I wish I could help more but ours came out in the early 90s I pick it up as a basket case..
THEN redid it . I wish I could help you more but the one I have was the older one whear it is plank on plank with glass over the time. IT is one strong tug. it has taken a few bumps and hits not many but some and never had any problems.
MY deck and everything elest is wood .
DON THE Rustbucket.
Rustbucket is offline Find More Posts by Rustbucket
Old Dec 01, 2011, 06:06 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,813 Posts
amsterdam tug

OK here are some pitures of mind.OR I should my wifes and mind. I gave it to her a few years ago and she painted it and name it. I also use it for night runs with lights.

OK I did something I went to google . Type in what glues works best on Abs plactic all kinds of sights came up. So that is the best I can do for ya. I am no longer building.After about 20 years and 37 ships of all kinds I was force into retireding but I do enjoy trying to help others. IF I can help any more just ask.
DON THE Portland rustbucket.
Old Dec 01, 2011, 06:12 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,813 Posts
OK I just did one more thing I went back to google type in rc amsterdam tug alot of good information and U Tube vids pop up. OK just another road to look down. DON
Old Dec 02, 2011, 09:55 AM
Joined Sep 2011
8 Posts
thank you rustbucket your pictures are very good