HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2011, 08:51 AM
Central Alabama RCShips, Sails
United States, AL, Odenville
Joined Feb 2006
543 Posts
Sounds reasonable. I'll check to see if I have any scrap block balsa laying around. If not I'll layer the planking scraps.

Thanks,
Jared
WingRider05 is offline Find More Posts by WingRider05
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2011, 04:41 AM
United States, WA, Hoquiam
Joined Aug 2011
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bad View Post
Lookin' good, Jared.... Can't wait to see her terrorizing some turtles up at Aldridge.

( FYI....The small containers of dessicant that they pack in Excedrin bottles would seem to make excellent depth charges, with proper modification.)
Why to think "inside the bottle"!!
Pirt12 is offline Find More Posts by Pirt12
Old Dec 09, 2011, 03:53 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,581 Posts
Add some calcium carbide inside those little drums & they will turn into real depth charges.
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Dec 09, 2011, 08:49 AM
Joined Feb 2006
543 Posts
That's kind of what I had in mind. When the carbide comes into contact it produces gas at a rapid rate and would cause an underwater "explosion". You used to be able to find this stuff at hardware stores for carbide lights (these were used by miners many years ago, we used to use them to hunt at night). The gas given off is methane. I'll really have to look around for this stuff, I've got no idea where to find it anymore.

Jared
Old Dec 09, 2011, 05:20 PM
1/2 a bubble off
United States, NY, Schenectady
Joined Mar 2011
843 Posts
When Calcium Carbide (CaC2) is added to a container of water, it produces acetylene gas.

Do a google search on Miners Grade Calcium Carbide. You can still buy it in 5lb containers.

Rember Carbide cannons and the "Bangsite" powder you put into them? You can still get them too.
Apismelifera is offline Find More Posts by Apismelifera
Old Dec 09, 2011, 05:24 PM
Joined Feb 2006
543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apismelifera View Post
When Calcium Carbide (CaC2) is added to a container of water, it produces acetylene gas.

Do a google search on Miners Grade Calcium Carbide. You can still buy it in 5lb containers.

Rember Carbide cannons and the "Bangsite" powder you put into them? You can still get them too.
Your right, not methane
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:00 PM
Joined Feb 2006
543 Posts
Sorry guys, I've been down in my back and haven't been able to sit /stand for any length of time. Going this coming Thursday for a block. I hope to get some work done this week on the hull. I haven't forgotten her, she looks at every time I come in the room
Old Dec 12, 2011, 03:33 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Aug 2009
187 Posts
Sub Chaser

Hi WingRider 05
Following your build on this kit & thinking of getting one, wondering what the guns & detail deck parts look like, any good detail?? OR??
Keith
tincanrider is offline Find More Posts by tincanrider
Old Dec 12, 2011, 06:53 PM
Joined Feb 2006
543 Posts
Yes, I think with a little work, the details will come out ok. The main gun deck is 2 piece white metal with wood and brass details. I'm planning a couple of MGs on the rear area of the open bridge. I've seen these in a couple of photos. The white metal parts are cast with great care and need little work to prepare them.

One of the things that is lacking, is that on the rear cabin over the rudder, the orginal boat had a tiller installed with chains down the sides of the boat to the bridge. I've seen a little detail of this on different sites. Not enough yet to try to put it on the model. It's like most Dumas models, you can add to, too really enhance the model or build as shown and have a neat model that from 6 ft away, the details don't matter.

Jared
Last edited by WingRider05; Dec 12, 2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 08:23 PM
"Take the Cannollis"
Lake Martin ALABAMA
Joined Feb 2006
875 Posts
Jared, if you stop posting and commence to building,
you might could have her ready by Saturday at Aldridge!
Steve Bad is offline Find More Posts by Steve Bad
Old Dec 13, 2011, 03:08 PM
Joined Feb 2006
543 Posts
No way it'll be ready Saturday!!! I'm working.....I'm working.....don't rush me
Old Dec 19, 2011, 04:21 PM
Joined Feb 2006
543 Posts
OK, the hull is planked! I'm not really sure if i like the way it turned out. Good thing I have some Bondo spot filler. The transom has been filled and now needs shaping (looks pretty rough now). I picked up some Z-poxy Finishing Resin last week. The kit instructions say to use Polyester...I'm more inclined to use the epoxy product. I'll see how things turn out. Now is the time for sanding, coating the inside with Z-Poxy, more sanding and more sanding.

I do have a question, the Z-Poxy instructions suggest applying the product first and then setting the glass fiber into it. The kit instructions say to put the glass fiber down and then brush the resin into it. For those of experience, which is the best way?

Jared
Old Dec 20, 2011, 07:30 PM
Joined Feb 2006
543 Posts
Ok, the hull has been coated inside with Z-poxy. The instructions had a great suggestion of applying masking tape to the outside of the hull. I guess this keeps the z-poxy from getting on the outside of the hull. Any way you see how it looks from the pics. The resin is still wet.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 06:24 PM
Joined Feb 2006
543 Posts
A little progress.........not as much as I'd like. In the pics you can see the transom has been roughed in and the port side is a lot further along then it was yesterday. Seems now that it's mostly: filling and sanding - repeat. A new experience for me. Not as bad as I'd thought it'd be but a lot more time consuming then I thought. I think I'm getting close to the proper shape; I put it down for awhile and when i pick it back up I see all the flaws. Well this time of year what else you going to doing. The main thing is I'm having fun with the kit
Old Dec 22, 2011, 08:36 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,751 Posts
WingRider, that's how it goes when fairing out a hull, look at it again, and you find more to fill and sand---.

Believe it or not, there IS a light at the end of that tunnel---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan