HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:31 AM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
3,668 Posts
Your welcome. And it does look pretty convincing for canvas.
Jerome Morris is online now Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:01 AM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
2,978 Posts
Jared, your boat looks great, very nice work. A bit of info for you, the numbers on the SC's were plywood cut outs, painted and screwed to the hull.(probably not all though) The Glenco plastic kit has raised numbers to simulate this. There were other variations such as SC40 had large numbers painted on with a black outline and no SC just the 40. The owner of Glenco and I spent several hours on both the phone and the computer going through navesource one evening to find pictures for the new box the kit was reissued in.
charlie eaton is online now Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Last edited by charlie eaton; Oct 22, 2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:12 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,542 Posts
Congrats! She looks grand in your new home.
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:44 PM
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Apr 2007
1,616 Posts
I meant to ask, are there any provisions in the kit to add railings?
Gravman is offline Find More Posts by Gravman
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:59 PM
Central Alabama RCShips, Sails
United States, AL, Odenville
Joined Feb 2006
543 Posts
Hi Gravman, Yes, there are aluminum tubes which need to be cut and a brass pin with a loop on the end which goes through the 1/16 tube. Twine is included to rig the threads, I'm not going to be using the thread supplied. I have elastic jewelery thread to use. It'll stay tight without any hard pull on the stanchions.
WingRider05 is offline Find More Posts by WingRider05
Last edited by WingRider05; Oct 24, 2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:53 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,616 Posts
OK, looking forward to the added detail. It will add a lot to the overall look of the boat.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:51 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
Nice work and I am sure she will perform well.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:52 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Morris View Post
Wow! She looks the great!
No kidding!!! looks fantastic!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:03 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,225 Posts
Depth Charges

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingRider05 View Post
Hi Steve!

I have been rolling around in my mind a way to make depth charges....if nothing else to hunt Juregan's U 47.....
I've made operational depth charges. They are scalable to your scale. My boat is a 1:14 scale British Vosper Motor Torpedo Boat. My depth charges are rolled off the side of the boat using a small mortar tube with a model airplane engine glow plug fitted at the bottom of a 4" long brass tube. A few grains of black powder are poured down the tube. The depth charge is made from Estes model rocket tubing with plywood rounds for end caps. I'm using waterproof canon fuse to ignite the charge. The fuse is inserted and glued into the middle of the depth charge tubing. I've calculated the buoyancy of the charge and adjusted it to make the depth charge just slightly negative. Fuse length vs. burn time was calculated to give me 7 seconds delay from ignition to detonation (4 inches of fuse) When a circuit is closed the glow plug sets off the black powder in the mortar tube. This both launches the depth charge out of the mortar tube and lights the fuse. You'll have to experiment with powder charge and ballast to achieve the results you want. I ended up with a charge of 30 grams (not grains) of synthetic black powder and enough ballast to give me a weight of 55 grams. My depth charges are 1.3" in diameter and 2" long. They are painted gray to seal the cardboard tubing and match the color of the real article. They make quite a boom going off about 4 feet under.
hookpilot is offline Find More Posts by hookpilot
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:04 AM
Joined Feb 2006
543 Posts
Thanks guys for the nice comments.

Hookpilot, I did consider adding depth charges but decided against it. The narrow hull is quite full with little room for more equipment.

Charlie, I think I'm just going to add the decals without the raised ply. Hard to see this detail on the lake, also this is not a "scale" build. That's coming with my next build.

The stanchions have been built and installed. The rails have been rigged. I used gray elastic thread rather then the black thread supplied with the kit. I'm taking a break from the build for a couple of days. After installing the railings, my arthritic hands have been doing a number on me.

Still to do: add more rigging to the masts and davits, apply the rest of the decals.

The hull number will be: SC 93. I have been in contact with Tood Woofenden editor of Subchaser.org. I found out that his great-uncle had served in WWI on this boat. I told him I would use this number in honor of his great uncle. Subchaser is a great place to reasearch these boats. Not only does it have the pics but documents on almost all the boats including some of the crews. It's worth visiting just to see what these sailors did on a 110 ft wooden boat protecting convoys

More pics will come with the completed model
Last edited by WingRider05; Oct 28, 2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 08:31 PM
Joined Feb 2006
543 Posts
Okay guys I'm going to call her finished/ I quit

The weight has been added and checked in the bath tub. I'll get some pics at our float this weekend. Looking at the photos, I see that I've knocked a ventalator loose behind the pilot house, I guess I'm not through yet !

Jared
Old Nov 01, 2012, 08:40 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,616 Posts
Well done,excellent job. I did not think too much about this kit when it was released but seeing what you have done with it has made me change my mind.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:01 PM
Joined Feb 2006
543 Posts
Thanks Gravman,

That means a lot coming from you. I've been following your build of the late war PT. Fantastic work !!!

Next project is one I've wanted to do for a longtime....USS Kidd from Deans Marine. I finished purchasing the final parts for the build today. It's gonna be a lot different from a Dumas kit.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:36 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,177 Posts
Very nice build.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:32 PM
Joined Feb 2006
543 Posts
Millertime,

Thank you for those kind words..........