HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Sep 27, 2003, 10:56 PM
Montrose, CO
Joined Jul 2003
281 Posts
Multiplex Royal Evo Tx

In several threads the the Multiplex Royal Evo has been discussed as an alternative to the Tracker II. For those interested, the manual for Multiplex Evo can be down loaded from the US distributor's web site: This site also lists prices.

http://www.multiplexrc.com/home.html

The download file is a zip file and when unziped it is a pdf file.
The manual is quite detailed.
Jim13704 is offline Find More Posts by Jim13704
Last edited by Jim13704; Sep 27, 2003 at 11:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2003, 02:36 AM
UK
Joined Nov 2002
1,664 Posts
That's rather like saying the Futaba 9Z is an alternative to the Tracker!!

The Evo is a very high grade radio of greater programmability than the Futaba 9C, and I know heli pilots who are changing their JR PCM10 to get an Evo 9, whereas it is clear from reading the Tracker threads that its programmability is very much at the bottom end of computer radios and it is incapable of some basic requirements. The two radios are in very different leagues.

H
HarryC is offline Find More Posts by HarryC
Old Sep 28, 2003, 08:20 PM
Montrose, CO
Joined Jul 2003
281 Posts
Harry,

After reviewing the Evo 9 online manual, I agree with you fully. I never intended to say the two radios were at all equal. The purpose of my post was simply to provide a link so that anyone at all interested in the Evo could take a look at the manual.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 09:44 PM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
I was one of those who actually bought the Tracker but have since sold it, not because it isn't a good radio for the money, but because it wasn't as capable as I was expecting based on the advertising.
Having said that, I didn't, and I don't think anyone, truly expected the Tracker to compare with the high end radios like the 9Z, 10X and now EVO. What I think happened is that many of us were _hoping_ that it would come close in capabilities to those radios. Which it didn't.

I downloaded the EVO manual a week ago and have read it all the way through several times and I am confident that it is the radio that I'm looking for. The manual is like a good novel; you learn more each time you read it, and I can tell you that the EVO is one amazing transmitter now that I am better understanding it's features and capabilities.

I've already sent the money and put an EVO12 w/synth on backorder but I'm not expecting to see it any sooner than at least a month or so. I hope that those of us here on RCgroups who get ours early will trade notes in the radio forum about how we're doing with it once we get to flying it.

Highflight
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Sep 29, 2003, 03:09 AM
UK
Joined Nov 2002
1,664 Posts
The Evo has been on sale with plentiful supply in Europe for nearly a year. If you do a search back on this forum's posts there is quite a lot of posts and information about the Evo from the end of last year and early this year. It has all gone quiet since then, no doubt it will pick up again as it starts to arrive in quantity in the USA.

H
Old Sep 29, 2003, 05:45 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HarryC
The Evo has been on sale with plentiful supply in Europe for nearly a year. If you do a search back on this forum's posts there is quite a lot of posts and information about the Evo from the end of last year and early this year. It has all gone quiet since then, no doubt it will pick up again as it starts to arrive in quantity in the USA.

H
There isn't much being said over here in the States yet because there are very few, if any, EVO's in the hands of customers.

I spoke directly with the American importer, HitecRCD through which ALL "legally" imported Muliplex radios must come, and I was told at that time (very recently) that only a few had come in and those that have were already sold.

So it may be a bit of a wait over here before much happens in any volume with the EVO.

As an aside, I was also told by Hitec that ALL of the radios that any of us in the U.S. buy now will have the upgrade that allows selecting the receiver shift in the software because Hitec themselves are doing that before they send them out to dealers.

Highflight
Old Sep 29, 2003, 06:21 AM
UK
Joined Nov 2002
1,664 Posts
Mike Mayberry confirmed about a month ago, following Glenn's visit to Mpx, that Mpx themselves will add shift switching to the design of the radio and it will become a factory fit, from the next production batches for N. America.

H
Old Sep 29, 2003, 04:04 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Jun 2003
78 Posts
Highflight

Where did you order yours from and how much $ are they?
JimmyTheG is offline Find More Posts by JimmyTheG
Old Sep 29, 2003, 04:46 PM
Montrose, CO
Joined Jul 2003
281 Posts
Highflight,

I for one would be very interested in learning of your experiences with the Evo once you receive it. Your comments on the Tracker II were always on point and balanced. I hope you will consider relaying your experiences when you explore and setup your Evo in the same way. Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 05:48 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JimmyTheG
Highflight

Where did you order yours from and how much $ are they?
I ordered mine from Tower. They are offering both the 9 channel and 12 channel in various ways (with or without synth module and with or without servos etc., and you can also order it with a fixed frequency module and then get additional crystals that can be changed out on the fly (pun intended))

I'm a long time modeler so all I needed was the transmitter itself. For transmitter only but WITH synthesizer module, they are offering the 9 channel for $416 and the 12 channel for $519. I ordered the 12 channel which is paid for and now on backorder.
The optional scanner isn't yet available in the States and probably won't be until some time next year. But it's a simply plug in module that piggy backs the synth module so whenever it comes available, I'll be getting that too (you don't really need it... I mean, how many people at YOUR field have radios with scanners other than the Tracker?).

They're telling me that it could be as early as this week but they have not received their shipment from HitecRCD yet (the American importer, and being so, can ONLY sell them to distributors like Tower). That date could be kicked back and I wouldn't be surprised if it's another month or more before I get it.

Highflight
Old Sep 30, 2003, 06:19 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim13704
Highflight,

I for one would be very interested in learning of your experiences with the Evo once you receive it. Your comments on the Tracker II were always on point and balanced. I hope you will consider relaying your experiences when you explore and setup your Evo in the same way. Thanks in advance.
Oh yea, that's gonna' happen for sure.
I'm real leary now after being over-sold on the Tracker and being led to believe that it did more than it does.

So here's the first of my observations about the EVO:
The Tracker came with a 24 page manual written with, I think, around 30 point print.
The tracker's manual is about 60 pages and is filled with probably 8 point print so have your reading glasses ready.
The point is that it doesn't take more than a few pages of large print to explain what the Tracker could do. However, even though the programming of the EVO appears to be very intuitive (AFTER you read through the manual a couple of times), the manual does goe into very detailed assignments of all the channels and servos and available features.

Here's just one little tidbit: As you all know by now, the Tracker couldn't tie the master trim to a slave channel when using a P mix. On the EVO, not only will it do that, but you have a choice where you can select to do it ... or not.

And other neat stuff I've learned by reading the manual a few times:
1. You can set one of the timers to begin counting only after the throttle is advanced beyond a chosen position (25% or whatever you want).
2. You can assign up to 5 mixes onto any one channel (servo) and the servo will end up doing the sum of whatever those mixes are set to do.
3. The EVO can individually calibrate each of your servos so that they can be centered and aligned at different points. This means, for example, that you can exactly match any two servos so that they operate exactly the same and in tune with each other. This is done when you set up the plane and is NOT the same as TRVL adjustment (end point adjustment which it course does as well).
4. You can set a switch or button to be a "kill" switch so that your throttle trim becomes just a throttle trim and not have the risk of killing the engine if set too low in the air.
5. Exponential on all channels can be adjusted from -100% to +100% so that you can enjoy exactly the degree of EXPO you want.
6. I especially like the "Digi-adjusters" that can be tied to most mix parameters. You set them to adjust whatever parameter you want to mess with on the ground, and then when you're in the air, you can dial in however much of that parameter (e.g. dual rates) while flying. You don't have to look at the screen or anything; just turn, tweak the digi wheel, turn, tweak the digi wheel, etc. Once you like your settings, you just leave the digi-wheel alone until you land and then you cancel the digi-wheel's function to that parameter. That's it. You now have your dual rates (or pretty much anything else you want to tweak) just the way you want them without having to land and adjust, land and adjust, etc.
7. You don't have to save your setups because they are automatically saved AS you make your adjustments.

There's lot's more but I want to get the radio and set it up before I get too excited (like I did with the Tracker "before" I got it).
There are a couple of things I think that I would have liked to see done a little differently, but I'll hold judgement on those things until I use the radio.

Besides, I feel a little embarrassed thinking that I'm trying to come across as some kind of EVO "expert" (which I'm certainly not; I'm just reading the bejeebers out of the manual) and I don't want to say much more until after I can put it through it's paces.

Although by the way, I skipped over all the stuff in the manual about programming helicopters because I have NO interest in things that God meant not to fly. However, it is clear that the EVO incorporates a LOT of helicopter specific programming and covers that in the manual. Any of you heli pilots who are considering a new radio might want to pore through the manual and see what it looks like to you and report back here.

Highflight
Old Sep 30, 2003, 09:49 AM
UK
Joined Nov 2002
1,664 Posts
Some of the Tracker's trim problems are simply impossible in Multiplex. What you need mixing for in a Japanese/Tracker radio often does not require mixing at all in a Multiplex radio. Because all servo channels are user assigned instead of factory assigned, you just assign whatever channels you need directly to aileron or to elevator. Mpx does not use the master-slave concept of pre-assigned channels and mixing that the other brands use. In Mpx there is simply no such thing as a master or a slave channel. You could have all 9 or 12 channels as elevator and not use a single mixer. With Mpx you can have 4 aileron servos, 2 elavator servos and 2 rudder servos, and not use a mixer. So all those silly problems that many Japanese radios have as well as the Tracker simply don't occur in an Mpx radio. You only need a mixer when you want more than one control to be fed to a servo, e.g. aileron and flap and elevator controls to a wing servo. And there is still no concept of master and slave, just a series of controls as inputs, all on an equal basis.

Highflight, if you tell us what sort of things you need a radio to do I can let you know if the Evo can do them. It has the standard Mpx level of flexibility and can do more than the manual or its raw specification would lead you to believe but does not posess some of the extreme edges of programmability that a PCM10, 9Z or Mpx 4000 has.

H
Old Sep 30, 2003, 11:08 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
I'm already certain that the EVO will do everything _I_ want it to do. I'll leave it up to others who sort of invent mixes as they go to come up with those ideas.

You're right about one thing, and that is your use of the word "concept" with regard to mixes and non-existence of the concept of master and slave channels.

I was used to thinking like that buy I've seen already that the programming in the EVO is free of those kind of restraints which is why it looks like it will be able to do almost anything you want... unless you go in with predetermined attitudes about programming.
The EVO is NOT like a 9Z or 10X or whatever, and it's programming is not like any of the Japaneze radios so you have to go into it with an open mind or you might spend a lot of time doing something in a way that isn't necessary to get where you want to go.

I'm hoping that, once I take delivery on mine, I will be able to contribute a lot to the discussion specifically because I am NOT a Multiplex expert. It will be interesting to see how I (and others using the EVO for the first time) come to understand the concepts of the programming and see how easy (or not) we find it to use.

Highflight
Old Sep 30, 2003, 12:32 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Jun 2003
78 Posts
Real review

Does anyone know if there is a real objective review of this radio?
JimmyTheG is offline Find More Posts by JimmyTheG
Old Sep 30, 2003, 02:47 PM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
Almost every UK and European publication has published a review (all good), as these sets have been available off the shelf for some months.

There are a number of these in my local club, everyone I've spoken to loves them to bits.

June RCMW was one review, I think this mag is usually available your side of the pond.

A search here should through up some user experiences as they have been available a wile.

--
Dave
wildpalms is offline Find More Posts by wildpalms
Closed Thread