SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:37 AM
Glendale, AZ
Joined Mar 2004
81 Posts
Discussion
New build, Dumas Fokker EIII Walnut scale to rc using ember gear

Hello all, I'm old hat at rc (mostly cars and trucks) and was decent at flying 7 or 8 years ago. I mostly like doing engineering and custom projects and thought it was time to do an r/c plane project again. I have an original ember that I've flown for a while and enjoyed, but am bored of now. I've always wanted to take a dumas plane and convert it to r/c myself; so this is my new project. I think the ember electronics will be good as the wingspan of both planes is about the same so weight should be approximately the same. My first question, what should I use for hinge material? Thanks for any help! I'll keep this updated with pics and progress.

http://www.dumasproducts.com/product...roducts_id=663

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/ember_2_r...15043_prd1.htm
kevinlongisland is offline Find More Posts by kevinlongisland
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:37 AM
United States, NY, CENTRAL VLY
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
Sweet.

I have the same kit ready to go with UM guttywuts. I just finished a Guillows Stuka and I certainly think the Eindecker is well suited for a R/E/T UM conversion.

I've been using the BravoSX upgrade to the UM P-51 motors and both aptly power some heavier balsa builds, even the Stevens Hummingbird at nearly 70 grams.

I'm not sure how the Ember motor compares to the other HH UMs, but if it's the same, you should have plenty of power.
ausf is offline Find More Posts by ausf
Old Nov 28, 2011, 09:48 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlongisland View Post
My first question, what should I use for hinge material?
Personally I use clear packing tape for hinge material on my smaller planes. Once it's burnished down it's nearly invisible, and it holds really well but can still be removed if needed. Most of the time I cut the strips about 1/4" to 3/8" wide and do a full length hinge.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:02 PM
Glendale, AZ
Joined Mar 2004
81 Posts
Ausf, how is your build coming along? I'm still waiting for the aircraft to come from Dumas before I start. I'm not sure what some of your terminology means, can you clarify:

R/E/T UM conversion

I'll take a look at the weight of the ember and Fokker, hopefully they will be about the same which should put the power and control system in the correct ballpark.

Tres Wright, do you apply the packing tape directly to the balsa? Or cover the balsa, then attach the tape to the covering? Thanks.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 02:11 PM
United States, NY, CENTRAL VLY
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlongisland View Post
Ausf, how is your build coming along? I'm still waiting for the aircraft to come from Dumas before I start. I'm not sure what some of your terminology means, can you clarify:

R/E/T UM conversion
I didn't start it yet, I also have a Dumas Storch that I'm dying to start. I was thinking skis on one of them for the Winter, so it depends...

I haven't been here long myself, but you pick the terminology/shorthand pretty quick...

R/E/T is rudder/elevator/throttle, the basic 3 channel setup. Add an A for ailerons for 4.

UM is Ultra Micros, generally meaning the Parkzone line of foam planes and 'conversion' is the act of taking these free flight, rubber power kits and refitting them for RC.

You will see an entire list of conversions in the Scale electric forum...

http://www.rcgroups.com/scale-electric-planes-10/
ausf is offline Find More Posts by ausf
Old Nov 30, 2011, 04:59 PM
Glendale, AZ
Joined Mar 2004
81 Posts
Ausf, skis would be cool and I'm sure a challenge to land too! Gotcha regarding R/e/t, makes sense now! . I got my Dumas yesterday, it's a project for me to stay busy at my girlfriends house so progress will be slow. That and I just got some microprocessor electronics kit to play with as well.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 08:44 PM
Ego varius quis.
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
1,930 Posts
At 17.5" wingspan, you might be happier using the innards J-3 Cub. Radio gear is limited to three channels, but the motor is a bit larger and the receiver is otherwise identical. I think you can also buy the fuselage with radio gear and motor for $40 or so, which is a great savings.

Also, Parkzone batteries = epic fail. Miniaviation, Hyperion, and Thunder Power make much better options.
Cheesehead is online now Find More Posts by Cheesehead
Old Nov 30, 2011, 09:01 PM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
Dumas conversions are fun! I'm almost done with my first, the Supermarine s6b.

On mine, I'm using 1/2a pivot hinge points.
However, for this plane, have you considered covering film hinges?
You use it the exact same way as tape, except the wing/stab covering continues at least partialy to the control surface.

It doesn't add any spare weight!
Legot is offline Find More Posts by Legot