HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2012, 08:21 AM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,794 Posts
And Joe's wife didn't get a speeding ticket!
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:30 PM
S. FL
Joined Jan 2007
859 Posts
Maybe if there was enough interest JW might offer his world record holding sailplane in kit form, I'd buy one in a heart beat.
Libelle201B is online now Find More Posts by Libelle201B
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:56 PM
United States, CA, Diamond Springs
Joined Mar 2004
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libelle201B View Post
Maybe if there was enough interest JW might offer his world record holding sailplane in kit form, I'd buy one in a heart beat.
A couple years ago my team borrowed Greg Norsworthy's #3 which is a Willey copy. E374 I think. Polyhedral, R-E and no spoilers or flaps to help with landings. Once I got used to it I liked flying it. But my flying partner never did, he felt it flew like a tank. I really liked how stable it was in straight line flight, it tracked very well. Thermalling you had to stay ahead of it (RE again) but it was very capable in the low saves. Even though #3 still holds the Montague speed record I felt it was slow. In the right hands (JW, Greg) it can win, but then, probably any plane could. Most pilots would probably do better flying a MXC or SBXC.

I think #3 is still alive and well somewhere in Australia

Steve
TrekBiker is offline Find More Posts by TrekBiker
Old Mar 01, 2012, 04:31 PM
launch low, fly high
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Havelock North
Joined Dec 2004
1,883 Posts
Calling it a tank just doesn't capture the handling qualities sufficiently...

A tanker, maybe. In hindsight, I should have called it Suezmax.
Joe W is offline Find More Posts by Joe W
Old Mar 01, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined Mar 2004
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe W View Post

I'd like to hear a flying report from the guy in Australia who bought #3. I remember when I first flew it and hit a small thermal down low, jammed the rudder stick over and was thinking... "why isnt it turning??". After awhile I got used to it and If I kept the speed up it was definately easier to handle in tight circles. #3 was very tip stall resistant so you could slow it down quite a bit and end up with very sluggish rudder authority. I dont know what the rudder looked like on Willey but Greg's rudder on #3 was pretty small. Tried to help my flying partner with this but by then our team was flying Super Supra and that was a whole different world.

Steve
Last edited by TrekBiker; Mar 01, 2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:56 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Now I just had a thought here.... If one was to make an attempt on the record, just what restrictions would there be on the plan form of the plane? Since JW used a plane with "X" span and very simple instruments, would the plane making the attempt be limited to the same span and equipment to keep it on a level playing field?

Considering the advances in designs and equipment since JW set the record, a plane with much better flight characteristics could possibly make the same distance or more with much less effort. Also would the FAI require that the ship meet the requirements of a contest ship? IE: max lifting surface.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Mar 03, 2012, 02:46 AM
Good for what ALES you
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Jan 2009
456 Posts
<In response to the question about the use of Varios in JW's flight>

From Joe's notes, "I did get down to about 400-500 ft once and was treated to listening to truckers on the 27 MHz sniffler frequency discussing that “plane circling over the highway,” as I was climbing back up."
awilmunder is offline Find More Posts by awilmunder
Last edited by awilmunder; Mar 04, 2012 at 01:04 PM. Reason: added comment in <>
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:06 PM
launch low, fly high
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Havelock North
Joined Dec 2004
1,883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by awilmunder View Post
John, have you found any info on why Joe's record isn't listed with the FAI?

Looking at the rules, we will need at least one person delegated to head the event, and each pilot, driver and spotter should also be approved. If we ran this as an event with multiple teams, should each team declare their own goal, or declare one goal that is shared by all teams and see if the FAI would recognize multiple record holders?

2.2.12. Officials and Observers:

The head official shall be delegated by the National Airsports Control of the country where the attempt is
made and the attempt must be witnessed by a minimum of 2 additional observers who are approved by
that National Airsports Control.
I received a bit more comprehensive response, as follows:
Quote:
Dear Mr Wurts

The FAI Records Department has forwarded to me your enquiry regarding the world record in class 156 - RC Glider Distance in a Straight Line which you set on 28th May 1988. I am sorry that I have been unable to respond earlier.

In 2000, an amendment to the specification of the employment of assistant pilots in both F3 Durantion and F3 Distance world record attempts was approved by Plenary. This meant that all the records at that time would have to be retired and retained in perpetuity. This was never done. So, when I discovered this in 2010, I had to ask the FAI Records Department to do that. This then left those record classes open for the setting of new records with the new specification for the assistant pilot. These record classes still exist and are available for people to attempt records in them.

However after the records had been retired, the FAI website began its long transformation to the "new" website which has been a huge project. For very many months the Records section was unavailable. It is now partially available again but not, regretfully, the historical section but I am assured that it will be remedied in due course.

Unfortunately, it seems that there may be problems with displaying world record classes in which no records have yet been set and this, of course, includes those record classes that had the records retired as explained above. I am working with the FAI Records Department in an effort to have these record classes shown on the website even if they carry the message "No records yet set in this class" or something similar. I believe it is essential to list these classes so that people know that they are available for setting records.

I hope this rather long explanation has been helpful and I look forward to the time when we can all find the historical records on the FAI website again.
I have replied in return to inquire as to whether I need to refile my claim from 1988 for the current record, as the amendment loosened the record restrictions. That is, the old record required a single pilot for the entire flight, now there is an allowance for using "assistant" pilots. IMO, the "retired" records should have been applicable to the new record category.

The good news, nobody is ever going to take away my FAI record for 156 - Distance in a Straight Line (declared distance to a goal)!
Joe W is offline Find More Posts by Joe W
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:49 PM
Nathan Miller
Peachtree City GA
Joined Apr 2007
137 Posts
Hmm, you sure? At the end of the second paragraph: "These record classes still exist and are available for people to set records in them."
thermal145 is offline Find More Posts by thermal145
Old Mar 07, 2012, 12:20 AM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,410 Posts
Quote:
The good news, nobody is ever going to take away my FAI record for 156 - Distance in a Straight Line (declared distance to a goal)!
Joe,

Man up and go double that distance! Prove it wasn't luck the first time

Mike
yyz is offline Find More Posts by yyz
Old Mar 07, 2012, 04:59 PM
Play loud, Fly high
Vincennes,IN USA
Joined Apr 2007
654 Posts
Wile hanndling

Having maneuvered (to hold altitude) Joe's plane several times between runs at XC contests years ago, I was inspired to name my own plane.....

Magic BUS
Gil Gauger is online now Find More Posts by Gil Gauger
Last edited by Gil Gauger; Mar 07, 2012 at 05:01 PM. Reason: attempt to fix the title
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:09 PM
Liechtenstein, Vaduz
Joined Apr 2012
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekBiker View Post
Aric,

Unless the towns along the route are tiny there needs to be a good way to get around them.
Take a look at Eastern Momtana - Western North Dakota, Miles City to out past Hettinger ND. US 12 East out of Miles City to Hettinger is 160+ miles with no obstacles man made or natural encountered and the prevailing winds are at your back. Low humidity, excellent visibility, big lift, very minimal traffic.
Krypt0s is offline Find More Posts by Krypt0s
Old Apr 27, 2012, 07:53 PM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,579 Posts
Quote:

From my memory of flying the venerable monster, I would utilize the description of the Space Shuttle from the movie "Space Cowboys". Wiley was a Flying Brick, but it sure flew in the right hands!

JT
jtlsf5 is offline Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:06 PM
Good for what ALES you
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Jan 2009
456 Posts
This US wind map was posted by one of our club members...

http://hint.fm/wind/index.html
awilmunder is offline Find More Posts by awilmunder
Old Apr 30, 2012, 01:13 AM
Joined Mar 2004
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krypt0s View Post
Take a look at Eastern Momtana - Western North Dakota, Miles City to out past Hettinger ND. US 12 East out of Miles City to Hettinger is 160+ miles with no obstacles man made or natural encountered and the prevailing winds are at your back. Low humidity, excellent visibility, big lift, very minimal traffic.
could you post a proposed Google Earth route (.kmz file) with prevailing winds?